Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncoisl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

2008 Iceland to Ukraine 8220 Km driven. Ferry to Denmark - Germany - Poland - Ukraine on the way back ferry from Denmark to Norway and then ferry to Iceland.
1984 Westy (2.0 SAAB engine at the time)
Blew a heater hose after 500 km the radio started smoking on a mountain road about 100 Km later. Started leaking oil seriously on the autobahn in Germany turned out to be a head gasket. Fuel hose (brand new) failed on E40 in Poland Still thankful for the guy's that stopped me Embarassed Finally the rubber bushing for the alternator disintegrated in Ukraine. I made a new one from an old garden hose Wink

My Westy after arriving in south Ukraine:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

broncoisl wrote:
2008 Iceland to Ukraine 8220 Km driven. Ferry to Denmark - Germany - Poland - Ukraine on the way back ferry from Denmark to Norway and then ferry to Iceland.
Blew a heater hose after 500 km the radio started smoking on a mountain road about 100 Km later. Started leaking oil seriously on the autobahn in Germany turned out to be a head gasket. Fuel hose (brand new) failed on E40 in Poland Still thankful for the guy's that stopped me Embarassed Finally the rubber bushing for the alternator disintegrated in Ukraine. I made a new one from an old garden hose Wink

. 8 valve version or the later 16 valve?

I didn’t realize someone besides BMW mounted rubber bushings in the Alternator.... Rolling Eyes yes, those were the days with Altns slowly leaning away from the engine, trying to take the belt with them...
d'oh! Brick wall
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Well the originals are both made by Bosch and are nearly identical. I have them both in basement sitting next to each other and I would not be surprised if you could swap them.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Vancouver - Alberta - Montana - Wyoming - Colorado - Utah - Idaho - Washington - Home. 7200 kilometres over 21 nights in July /August. Other than a leaky fuel line connection that needed a new clamp on day 19 and some slowwwww climbs through Colorado (Vail Pass), no real drama which was awesome for the original drivetrain.

A couple of shots from Arches and Moab:

broncoisl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
broncoisl wrote:

. 8 valve version or the later 16 valve?

I didn’t realize someone besides BMW mounted rubber bushings in the Alternator.... Rolling Eyes yes, those were the days with Altns slowly leaning away from the engine, trying to take the belt with them...
d'oh! Brick wall

It was the old 8 valve still running good when I removed it but leaking oil all ower the place Smile
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Did almost 2000 miles from D.C. to Apollo Beach, FL. I did not see a single vanagon the whole trip, but I did see 3 eurovan rialtas.
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
Vancouver - Alberta - Montana - Wyoming - Colorado - Utah - Idaho - Washington - Home. 7200 kilometres over 21 nights in July /August. Other than a leaky fuel line connection that needed a new clamp on day 19 and some slowwwww climbs through Colorado (Vail Pass), no real drama which was awesome for the original drivetrain.

A couple of shots from Arches and Moab:

Nice rig. Great trip!
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Well not on the same trip but as a daily driver. I work in Oakland Ca. And live in Rocklin and drive it to work for 3 days and then home. I put about 300 miles a week on my 1982. A previous owner put a 3 rib tranny into it and it finally gave up. luckily for me my 1980 has a 6rib tranny and it’s going in soon as soon as I can get the dry back on the ground. Supposed to start raining again soon.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

the 82 diesel is supposed to be a 3rib transaxle, has lower gearing too to support the needs of the 48hp 1.6NA diesel motor.
the 1980 aircooled 6rib jas the highest R&P of the USDM vanagons.
it may not make you happy unless on the downhills with 48hp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

I actually have an AAZ upgraded engine in the 82 with a Giles pump with a K03 turbo. Gearing was nice but want to get 16 inch rims and tires as 15's are getting harder to find. But any way the transmission is in the garage and 3rd is not shifting good as the oil change I removed several large pieces that are from one of the syncs.
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

1,450 miles round trip for our wedding. 68-71mph on the stock waterboxxeer loaded to the brim with wedding supplies

No issues

hansstef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Bergen (Norway) to Warsawa (Poland) 1400 km one way with my syncro. A year ago last month.

Started the trip with an already failing transmission and PS Pump. No issues at all luckily, but nerve wrecking trip as shit had already started to hit the fan ever so slightly Rolling Eyes

Mission; to see a transmission rebuilder Very Happy

Noises from gearbox started the summer before on a 2000km Nordic trip, so it had gotten a few thousand miles in with the failing bearing. Trans oil swapped about 3 times after noise appeared to keep it happy. Why? Because first oil drain was saturated with aluminium and looked like grey shampoo... Shocked

No further damage to the gearbox and the necessary repairs got done.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Marshj wrote:
1,450 miles round trip for our wedding. 68-71mph on the stock waterboxxeer loaded to the brim with wedding supplies

No issues

I just LOVE this pic! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

THAT is a bridesmaid you want to keep forever...if she owns a wood chipper, your life is complete
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
THAT is a bridesmaid you want to keep forever...if she owns a wood chipper, your life is complete

Going to be a short honeymoon/wedding if he is with the bridesmaid. Even shorter if his bride has the wood chipper.....

The Western Syncro build
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

My bad.

I havent checked my gender fluid recently.

Very Happy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
My bad.

Very Happy

Laughing Bridesmaid vs Bride issue. Laughing

The Western Syncro build
syncrodemaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Vancouver to Yellowstone. Just over 1000 miles each way going the long way through eastern Oregon, Boise and then kind of looping back up to Yellowstone.

Trip went pretty smoothly but the engine wasn't running super well so we crawled up big hills going 40-50mph, it was really tough on interstates.
Engine later fixed after the trip, turns out all the injectors were old and needed repairs.

1. 89' Syncro Doka with AGR TDI
2. Vancouver - Yellowstone/Jackson Hole (about 2000 miles round trip)
3. No repairs just some oil leaks, bad engine performance.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

^^^ Cool roof top tent on that Doka! Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Long drive, did you make it? 1,000+ miles Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
My bad.

Very Happy

You're obviously down a pint!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 47

Jump to: