Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant LED flashing after 3 second test - troubleshooting
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Coolant LED flashing after 3 second test - troubleshooting Reply with quote

i've been having an issue with the coolant LED flashing after the initial power on LED 3 second test. another thread had this comment that details how the low level LED behaves.

crazyvwvanman wrote:

The tank sensor feeds the relay and then the relay determines if the coolant has been sensed low for long enough to notify the driver by flashing the temp gauge led.

The coolant level relay latches the "warning" condition so the led will then continue to blink until the key is cycled off-on to reset the relay.

(tall case early type coolant level relay behaves differently, 83-85)

when starting the engine cold, the LED flashes and then goes out as expected, then a few seconds pass and the LED begins to flash. the coolant is at the proper mix and level. if i turn the engine off then immediately restart the engine, the LED flashes as usual and then goes out, as expected.

if i stop for a short period, the LED works as expected. if i stop long enough for the engine to cool down, the problem returns.

crazyvwvanman wrote:

what happens in the cold if you simply turn on the key and watch the led for a while without starting the engine?

when turning the key on, the LED does the 3 second test flashing, goes out for a few seconds, and then begins flashing again. the LED does not flash after the 3 second test after power cycling the key.

is this a failing 43/42 relay or a failing coolant sensor or something else?

BiWerks Design, LLC
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant LED flashing after 3 second test - troubleshooting Reply with quote

Any Deposits on the Sensor body like build-up?
It 'Seems' like a sensor issue since Coolant Temp appears to be a factory and I'd be surprised that the Relay would be affected by any of that.
But hey, it IS a Vanagon after all.. Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant LED flashing after 3 second test - troubleshooting Reply with quote

It sounds like the relay is trying to do its job if the flashing is interrupted after about 3 seconds. Pull the relay. If the flashing continues, it is likely the capacitor in the gauge assembly. If there is no flashing with the relay out, it is likely the wiring to your level sensor or the sensor itself. You can jumper the electrical connector at the sensor to mimic a properly functioning level sensor.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant LED flashing after 3 second test - troubleshooting Reply with quote

Mine also flashes when the coolant is cold (40f and below), but if I recycle the ignition after it warms up there is no issue. My guess is I have a slightly bad/fouled contact pole in the sensor but I am too lazy to deal with it right now...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: