Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 524, 525, 526 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Laughing

Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Jake: My handbrake does work, the rock was there so the car didn't roll back any and lose tension on the rope. If the rope lost tension it would have slid off the rachet. That happened once before, so I put a rock behind the tire and rewrapped the rope.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Good thing you got it out on the bus. If you remove the cat it is a b!tch to find something that can hold it stable enough while you try to remove the sensor. BTDT.

Not sure if you tried but heat is your friend in this case.

I only have propane, which is generally not enough heat.

I had a plan (my wife hates to hear me say that) for the extraction once the cat was out. Bolt one end of the cat to a 12' long 2x6 standing on edge, and do the same with the other end so the boards are lying parallel on the ground with the cat in the middle. Then have a volunteer (that same wife, maybe?) stand strategically as ballast...er, as shapely and attractive force multiplier, while the brilliant wrench person with monster cheater pipe makes the attempt.

Same principle as when working on my steering rack; bolt the workpiece to a long piece of lumber for leverage, or for resistance to leverage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Laughing

Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Jake: My handbrake does work, the rock was there so the car didn't roll back any and lose tension on the rope. If the rope lost tension it would have slid off the rachet. That happened once before, so I put a rock behind the tire and rewrapped the rope.

Ah-ha! I'm glad it worked for you.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I stuck this on the side of my Syncro.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had to do an emergency clutch slave bleed after a quick lunch run. To be followed, no doubt, by some quality time with the master cylinder. Apparently there is a small leak somewhere that was letting air in the clutch hydraulic system and I lost pedal over the course of a few miles. Made it back - barely.

The problem for me was that we were at our place up in North Georgia and I didn't have my bleed set-up handy nor could I find any suitable tubing to do a proper bleed (I do carry a small bottle of brake fluid though). Fortunately my awesome neighbor happened to have a couple of feet of small diameter (1/4"?) clear tubing laying around and I was able to get the air out of the line and restore clutchage - at least for the trip home. I had not thought of just how critical a small bit of tubing could be, so this is now a part of my emergency kit along with the gazillion other spare parts I lug around. It's always what you don't have that you need.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Set up my Blue Seas ACR to finally get my starter battery off of the plug in trickle charger and allowing that glorious sun to charge my whole setup. Excited to hook it all up tomorrow.
JFK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Made some curtains that snap-in.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
I stuck this on the side of my Syncro.

What interesting timing. We parked next to a Ford 150 at Multnomah Falls, OR with the Overland Bound emblem just 2 days ago and it really piqued my interest. I wondered what it meant and then promptly forgot about it. Thank you for reminding me!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

JFK wrote:

Welcome to The Samba.... Cool

And a 2nd welcome for a fellow Chicago Owner( Vanagons are scarce around here... Razz )
although you do have that For Sale Ad over in the Classifieds, so is selling the Vanagon still an active thing for you?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
JFK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Welcome to The Samba.... Cool

And a 2nd welcome for a fellow Chicago Owner( Vanagons are scarce around here... Razz )
although you do have that For Sale Ad over in the Classifieds, so is selling the Vanagon still an active thing for you?

Yeah. It is becoming more difficult to have 2 cars in the city as a student and I am likely moving in a few months. And I would really like to have a manual over my automatic.
So if you know anybody looking for one, PM me
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Its been a week of not much work on the Westy Sad .. there was a fire I had to deal with, luckily no VWs were damaged in the fire. Easy to find pictures if you want, search 'southbear fire' on that fund site if interested.

I've been driving my Westy and sleeping in it when I can, but finally was able to get a look underneith to locate the source of an annoying coolant leak. This is a pic of the T-Stat housing, with the clearly splitting hose on the left of the photo (pic taken from below the #3 exhaust runner). I believe that this is the hose that runs across to the distribution tower. I have had the entire coolant hose kit in my RMW 'cart' for a couple weeks, and had not yet clicked check-out, and now I don't see the future very well, so I am going to just try replacing this hose, and cleaning up and seeing if the wetness and drips can be contained for a little longer, with patchwork replacement.

Can anyone verify this splitting hose is Thermostat to Tower: https://www.vancafe.com/251121058A-p/251121058a.htm

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The replacement oxygen sensor for the catalytic converter arrived a couple of days ago and today I got around to installing it. Those 3-wire Bosch sensors seem to be about $90 from most vendors so I tried Advance Auto online since they offered 20% discount and free shipping (slooooow, as it turned out). Took five days to arrive from Ohio, but that's what they predicted so I can't really complain. Family illness and cold weather made me not want to work on the van anyway.

But temps hit the 50s today so I popped it in (using my new socket and plenty of anti-seize), hooked up the wires and went for a spin. Thirty or so miles and nary a hiccup, and the tuneup parts I'd already thrown at it made it even smoother; ran like a dollar watch, as my old pappy would have said. Looks like it's fixed and we rolled over 94,000 during the ride.

Now on to the other stuff it needs. Thanks for the advice and encouragement!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Its been a week of not much work on the Westy Sad .. there was a fire I had to deal with, luckily no VWs were damaged in the fire. Easy to find pictures if you want, search 'southbear fire' on that fund site if interested.

I've been driving my Westy and sleeping in it when I can, but finally was able to get a look underneith to locate the source of an annoying coolant leak. This is a pic of the T-Stat housing, with the clearly splitting hose on the left of the photo (pic taken from below the #3 exhaust runner). I believe that this is the hose that runs across to the distribution tower. I have had the entire coolant hose kit in my RMW 'cart' for a couple weeks, and had not yet clicked check-out, and now I don't see the future very well, so I am going to just try replacing this hose, and cleaning up and seeing if the wetness and drips can be contained for a little longer, with patchwork replacement.

Can anyone verify this splitting hose is Thermostat to Tower: https://www.vancafe.com/251121058A-p/251121058a.htm

Do I see coolant at the area next to the blue connector, like a drop or two?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Yes, and if you keep looking, you'll see it's wet everywhere.. cold weather is hard on rubber and shyt clamps..
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

Yes, and if you keep looking, you'll see it's wet everywhere.. cold weather is hard on rubber and shyt clamps..
Since I don't have the 2.1 with that sensor, is it the type that goes into a hole and seals with a couple of O-rings or even 1 O-ring on the sensor body against the bore/hole of the housing?
If so, don't feel bad, I've always seen that type of coolant sensor leak in cold weather compared to other styles on multiple vehicles that use that design of a sensor and its feeble sealing. If you just bump the wiring to the sensor or the sensor itself, they can start leaking like that- Not a gusher, just a slowwww drip or weep.... Evil or Very Mad

On certain Land Rovers that use that same set-up, people through they got clever by replacing just the O-rings on the sensor once they had sized them out correctly. Then the plastic bore or hole of the sensor mounting would warp on them later on with continued use, and they needed the whole housing...
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

JFK wrote:
Quote:

I did something similar. Curtains are made of USMC desert digital cloth and backed with fleece blanket material for added insulation. (Thanks, Mom!)
I leave them off the rear and slider windows when driving, they can be attached in a jiffy when necessary. Pretty happy with this setup.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Started on my spring spacer project to cure the Westy lean. Once I knew the specs I searched for a board that would give me enough material and found one at W*****t for about $12. Used a jigsaw to cut them out and a hole saw for the center holes. Pieces are 5/16" thick so I made three to go on the left-rear, which is about an inch lower than the other corners. I'll tweak as required and have enough material for two more spacers if I need them. Might get them installed tomorrow.

Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Started on my spring spacer project to cure the Westy lean. Once I knew the specs I searched for a board that would give me enough material and found one at W*****t for about $12. Used a jigsaw to cut them out and a hole saw for the center holes. Pieces are 5/16" thick so I made three to go on the left-rear, which is about an inch lower than the other corners. I'll tweak as required and have enough material for two more spacers if I need them. Might get them installed tomorrow.

Laughing Nice, I see what you did there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What? Did I miss something?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

drove my Vanagon around Philadelphia today. it was glorious.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 524, 525, 526 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 525 of 629

Jump to: