Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

For those who don't know me I have loved type 3''s for 30 years. I bought the Square back 28 years ago and began collecting parts. I never understood why T3''s were not valued so much., Top guys like Mario in Germany, Bert my friend in Belgium, BobNotch , Notch boy, and Tram value them and all inspired me.

Uno Momento is not just a shop build, we are a bunch of small guys shooting at the likes of Arkweld. It kills me and the lads but I just want everyone to enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

A powerful l.e.d torch has been essential for detail sanding of the etch primer.

This one is amazing.

The torch has a spotlight at one end, and an overall bank of 8 l.e.d''s down the side. The magnets allow you to place it in any position without it moving.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here I am using it on the bulkhead to check for tiny imperfections.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

I realised that the factory clips on the bulkhead were not needed so I removed them using a small electric grinder.

Later they will be smoothed in.

MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

I decided to move the brake reservoir to the front of the car. It looked out of place against the smoothed out bulkhead.

The top of the original was salvaged to keep the look, but I made a new base which Gareth Wootton welded up for me.

The new reservoir support was then filled and sanded.

I have a clear vision of what the car will look like finished, but things like this come as the project goes along. It slows it all down but you can't compromise.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

This week I prepped the bodyshell for final primer, a two pack acrylic, and Alan Wootton from Custom Paintwork painted it.

The car will be solid black, no clearcoat on top, so the wet sanding of the black primer needs to be as good as it can be.

It took me all Saturday to just do the roof so I recon on five days to do the shell because the back seat delete means all the rear seat area, the cargo area and the front bulkhead need doing. The car will have no carpet in just removable pads at the front for driving it.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

And that''s Prince on his mat by the side!
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Glad to see it coming together!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

We finished the body, finally. It took me two weeks to block sand it with 800''s wet. We used black primer which showed every tiny mark up, but that was great really.

It was like rubbing down concrete with toilet paper!

Finally when it was finished the booth was super cleaned, then the body prep wiped then tack ragged and then sprayed by Alan Wootton.

The black paint was 00, which was as black as we can get in England.

Yesterday we put the body finally on the floorpan.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Looks good. Paint looks nice and smooth.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

That looks amazing! Shocked

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

WOW ..... LAST NIGHT WE RECEIVED CONFIRMATION THAT THEY WILL LET US SHOW THE CAR INDOORS AT.....VOLKSWORLD 2020 !

That''s it ...she is off to the trimmers 'Bromsgrove Trimmers', to make the headlining and door cards.

They will need to move about inside so I have covered, padded and taped out the floor.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Well today we took her to Bromsgrove Trimmers near Birmingham U.K.

The last minute panic was that I had not put wiring in for the interior light above the drivers door. I thought about it in the night !

At the last minute I managed to run a thin, stiff wire up the A pillar and along the top inside rail.

At Bromsgrove we discussed what the design should be like. We decided to keep it simple and basically go for a standard look in black to match the empi seat inserts at the front. The car already has enough features and if we were not careful it would look overload. We also decided to delete the sun visors so the view into the car from the front is less fussy.

We also decided to go with a quality German vinyl to match the seat inserts rather than leather.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

The trimmers finished the car today. We only got back late so I will post some detail tomorrow.

Looking at the work at the shows in the U.K. I thought Bromsgrove Trimmers we on of the top three. They were the one''s determined to do the car. They have done a perfect job. Many thanks.

The bar across the front goes onto the bumper mounts and allows the tow hook from the transporter to be fitted without going near the body.
type3nut64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

simply gorgeous. I was tripping on that front bumper thing.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the new headliner..!

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

You can see some of it in the 1st pic at the trimmers. I wanted to see what the door cards looked like. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You can see some of it in the 1st pic at the trimmers. I wanted to see what the door cards looked like. :wink:

Hi Bob, thank you for your interest and support, we need it !

I will send you some photos tomorrow !
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Here are the door cards. They are just a simple design but perfectly made with parallel stitching. The interior has plenty of features so we agreed to keep them simple.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

The panels have been blocked in the grey primer, now they will be sprayed in black.

Black primer is amazing stuff in that it shows every tiny mark. It is much easier to see the imperfections in the black. I really recommend it.
MARTIN WADE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Uno Momento (Vintage Squareback show car build thread) Reply with quote

Alan Wootton painted all of the panels. It took us 2 hrs to set up and get ready to spray.

Hoover the booth, blow off the panels, panel wipe, tack rag, blow off and spray, then bake.

The results are amazing, absolutely no peel at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: