Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Never looked at the cap except a quick glance. This thing was used and from the 90's on the engine when I bought it. Does anyone know the part # for cap and rotor? I would like new and keep these for spare.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was hoping you would get that picture, thank you!
You can use a 1"wire wheel on a drill and clean off that carbon from the cap terminals and the rotor. They look much better then I thought for how much current your flowing through them. They dont look wore bad. A cleaning and you will be back to full current.

Mallory 271 cap:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F274165698837
Mallory 309 rotor:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283743368761
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I text Tom and he gave me these part #’s 271mal for the cap and 340 for the rotor. I ordered both from holly. I will clean up the cap and save it for a spare. I will also note the mileage when the new cap is installed and see how it lasts.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

The Mallory 340 is the same as the 309, it just has the shutterwheel

Glad you got some on order
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Got the cap and rotor. Installed and boxed the old ones for spare parts.

Started the car and was running like shit,, Brick wall last driven from the dyno running perfect. parked it over the weekend and now this... Float on the right side is too high, fuel poring into the #1 cylinder at idle, fuel pressure is at 2.7(was monitored on the dyno and stayed between 2.4 to 2.7) Left Carb had a drip coming from the pump jet into #3. Oh well, Called Shawn Geers and took him the carbs to go thru.

He said driving on the street the tabs on the floats bend and it is no big deal to fix. Since they are off I want him to check everything on them. 2/1 is coming up and I still want to take it to the track and see how it does in the 1/4.

Should have them back in a few days

Now the Valve springs, I show seat pressure 130 lbs and nose pressure 330 lbs. Does that seem low? It could of been entered wrong on my build sheet. This is my guess to why the engine stops pulling at 6200 rpm.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Yeah that’s low. Big valves. 89/91 cam... I think you need more like 400 on the nose

I still think your maxed out in the 42 Venturi though
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I think it would be interesting to see a pull with 42,44,46 and the 42-46 Berg ones. The vents.
fastone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Yes that is very low, Not sure if 130 is possible with K800 springs typo on build sheet ?, New would be 200 - 210 @ 1.750.
At Auto-craft we would replace anything below 190 with new springs.

If you need valve spring shims, PM me, I have many AC spring steel shims.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Never looked at the cap except a quick glance. This thing was used and from the 90's on the engine when I bought it. Does anyone know the part # for cap and rotor? I would like new and keep these for spare.

I used to have about 4 of those roters in the shelf, if I can find them Ill send them to you,they were left over form another life long long ago all still skin packed. but nobody is getten my mallory condensors!!!I put the mallory condensors on almost everything, they last for ever.(although I dont think I have any thing left but a riding lawn mower that has points)
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I will gladly take them Mark, thanks and I will pay you for shipping and extra for the beer fund, that's if you find them.

I got the carbs back today, they were ready Friday but I was out of town. Shawn said one of the floats was all messed up. He said they were very Dirty outside. Not many carbs he does see street miles on them.

He said he likes 55 idles with 100 holders on his bigger engines. I went with that to see how it works.( i had 55 with 120 holders) He also set the Floats a little low so when the tab bends from bouncing around it will be OK for a while.

I have now:
berg 42-46 vents (Shawn isn't a fan of them either) He did say run them and see.
70 pump jets
180 mains
200 airs
F2 tubes with 10 thousands off
55 idles with 100 holders

Not sure If I am testing the car this Saturday. I might drive it to the track and help out the other car that is testing, if there is time I might Run it. Going 3/15 to Irwindale for sure.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

have you considered JPM raptor venturis? I have not used them myself but I have heard a handful of people's comments who have and they rave about them! Since its a "street" car, you could also run his raptor power-jets and maybe have more tunability and high RPM performance?

available from CSP

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/brand-shops/venturi-jpm-raptor-129-337-4838jpm-24965b.html

or direct from JPM

https://www.jpmotorsports.se/en

Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

sled wrote:
have you considered JPM raptor venturis? I have not used them myself but I have heard a handful of people's comments who have and they rave about them! Since its a "street" car, you could also run his raptor power-jets and maybe have more tunability and high RPM performance?

available from CSP

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/brand-shops/venturi-jpm-raptor-129-337-4838jpm-24965b.html

or direct from JPM

https://www.jpmotorsports.se/en

Funny how this arrangement looks like the dellorto tri-jet setup. People still think dellortos aren't good carbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I will get these to work with the parts I have. I have looked at the JPM and it looks like they delete the booster and add lines for more jets. I will go to EFI if I get to that point, Or Turbo since my tran's is geared more for that application.

I know one of my Throttle shafts are bent, was that way from the start. You could see it when looking under at the 3 holes. Drivers side the butterfly's are the exact same distance from the bottom hole. The passenger side they are off by 1/2 the diameter of the hole. The butterfly is covering 1/2 the hole on the # 1 side and the correct distance on the #2 side. First time Shawn worked on these he pointed this out, along with the same carb was bored off sightly when going to the 51.5(put in jig wrong). Not of his doing and not much that can be done to fix it short of replacing that one carb.

Once installed they started right up and I set the LBA. I will drive the car tomorrow and see how it runs.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Drove the car Friday several times. The 55 idles with the 100 holders is as close as i can get to perfect until I add the MSD Power grid timing computer. I spoke to Joe Pando at MSD and he said it will do everything I need and more.

I am going to order it from Westech so they can put a basic tune in it so I can drive it there to tune on the dyno. Joe said it will not drive until something is loaded into it.(no default tune installed)

The Car ran awesome 2 out of the 3 times I drove it, Like a new car but fun. The third I talked my Wife to ride in it to go pick up her car from service at the dealer. She has not been in the car but 1 or 2 times. Ran like shit, so bad I had to turn around and take another car. It seemed like an Idle jet was clogged but I did not have the time to pull them out to inspect. Sure enough #1 exhaust was 200 degree while the other 3 were over 500. Pulled the Jet and it was clogged with a tiny piece of something. looked like sand ?? not sure. I am going to add a torch tip cleaner to my tool bag so I can clean them out on the road if needed.

The 60 idles never did this but now the hole is smaller and I will be getting so much better MPG!! like 11 or 12 now. Laughing
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Are you running it without filters?

I know stacks look beautiful but I assume people take pictures without them for the looks, and put filters on when they actually put miles on it. If your cruising around filterless as a way of life then clogged jets and dirty insides/premature wear gonna be a way of life too.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

The screens is more than I have ever run on a street car with ida’s. Put 30k miles on a 13.0sec 2165 in a Baja with no issues. Running the screens now because I don’t like the 130 per valve cost for titanium.

I will be taking the heads off after this summer to put new springs on and I will take pictures of the cylinder walls and any other issues I find.

Also if I wanted to run air cleaners they would not fit as tight as the carbs are now. It would have to be a remote setup, or something custom.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Took car out for our Gun Club Meeting. Ran awesome, it helps that the idle jet's were clean. This thing is a dream to drive.

Cold tires and dumped clutch = long burnout and rev limiter hit almost instantly. I will go see how far the tires spun in the morning.

If you zoom in on the passenger fender you can see the carnage from the car rolling 300 feet down the street into a mailbox, dam push-lock e-brake. It bled off and there she went. This happened 4 or 5 months ago, just forgot to tell the story. Very lucky it didnt center punch the engine on several light posts it missed on the way down the street.

Getting a pair of new fenders from creative car craft, The ones I have are Chinese and getting one won't match the other. Getting another apron also, mine got burnt from header being too close(that will be fixed also by Tiger at A1)

And yes that is zip ties holding the plate on. The new mount is on the way along with frame with led in it.

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I got the MSD Power grid system controller part #77303 today. This thing does everything from 4 rev limiters to data acquisition. I have now idea how it works or How to program it. Taking it to Westech tomorrow to have it programmed off my Dyno runs just so it will be close.

Looks like lots of options that I have to play with now. Thanks HotStreetVw for the suggestion.

I do have several MSD adaptors I will be selling, Tach adapter, Step and start box, 2 step box. They never made it in the car when it was running so they are all new, they were installed but never run. PM me if you are interested.
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

have been picking through your thread and excellent job and well done !! i love big motors in vw's - if you dont mind me asking, looks like you are struggling with some tuning on and off the track .if you wouldn't mind some advice i would be happy to pass on so information that hopefully would net you some better street and track performance increases .
send me a pm .
Jim
KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

The Power Grid is going to be cool. I was on the dyno a few weeks ago and my car wanted timing to come in early and a lot of it, then less at peak torque, then more as the RPMs increased. Good luck building a curve like that into a distributor.

The dyno I was on was overly optimistic Shocked so I wont share the peak numbers, but from the first pull to the last, we found an average 13whp from 6200 to redline (operating window going down the track) and a peak difference of 18whp.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Jim, you are a wealth of information.

I got the power grid back today with the timing curve installed. No charge from Eric at Westech, thanks.

It is just basic to start out, we will fine tune it once it is on the dyno.

I had 32 degree total with 20 degree backed out with the MSD 8980 timing computer's fixed curve. No way to adjust that set-up as far as the curve.

I now have 9 degree at cranking, 15 degree at 850, Idle. then it drops to 7 at 1000, then ramps up to 32 by 2500 rpm. The rev limiter is set at 6700 and the staging and burn out is at 6200. I will install this soon, wife's B day tomorrow and I know she does not want me to be in the garage working on the car.

I am ordering new K800 springs and installing them while the engine is in the car. This is the same as what I have but not 20+ years old. That should help the not pulling to 8K. 1800 more rpm's of pulling will help the car get up and go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 84

Jump to: