Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

Thank you Brian..... the picture is getting clearer for me Smile

Great pic to see how the flap linkage hooks up... so I'm wondering if once that goes thru the metal sleeve welded on the pan, if that connects on the other end to another handle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
With regards to the rear foot well heater flaps, I spent an hour searching here and online and can't really put my finger on how they work...totally.

I understand the front handles that operate the 'opening' and 'closing' of the overall heating.

But what actually operates the opening and closing of the flaps inside the Y pipe itself? I see there is linkage to it, so what does the end of that hook to and how does it get activated?

The heater control handle on the left / driver's side of the car is the one that actuates the flap doors in the rear heater Y-pipes. That handle is connected to a stiff wire that runs in the central body tunnel, splits into two, and turns 90 degrees into separate left and right tubes under front of the rear seat. The stiff wires in these two tubes in turn connect to the Y-pipe flap door wires via little 2-screw connectors. You can see one of these connections in the picture below (red rectangle area, in lower left corner):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can adjust the distance between the control handle wire and flap door wire in those 2-screw connectors, to make flap doors open and close fully / smoothly, as desired.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Most find that it is easiest to loosen and/or remove the bakelite tube and then get the "y" pipe into place at the same time that the bakelite tube is installed as well.

The two sort of have to be installed together because they are a very tight fit.

Is this even possible w/the body on the pan? I thought the bakelite could only be removed w/the body off the pan! I'd like to know as i broke the battery-side bakelite on my '73 and need to figure out how to replace it or come up w/a repair idea w/out removing the body. Homey ain't going there!!!

I don't think you can remove the Bakelite tubes all the way with the body on. But if you remove the bolts that hold them to the body, you should be able to shift and slide the Bakelite tubes in, out, and around enough to where you can slide the rear heater Y-pipes off or back onto them. Bit of a "fiddley" operation, but I was able to do it on my car a few years back without breaking anything...

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

baldessariclan this is GREAT information and nice pic. Thank you !!!

As I had mentioned in an early post, i've been a fiberglass buggy guy, and have now turned to full sedans, so learning heat is all very new to me.

I'll look at my car tonight, but back to your explanation. If I'm understanding you correctly, if the drivers side is activating the Y flaps, does the passenger side (I'm assuming) shut off the entire heat coming from the rear exchangers and run to the heater channels (the "other" part of the Y") ?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

This thread explains how the system works.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=724374

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
I'll look at my car tonight, but back to your explanation. If I'm understanding you correctly, if the drivers side is activating the Y flaps, does the passenger side (I'm assuming) shut off the entire heat coming from the rear exchangers and run to the heater channels (the "other" part of the Y") ?

Yes, you've got it -- right/passenger side heater control handle regulates how much heat comes into the cabin, while the left/driver side heater control handle regulates where it goes. The right/passenger side control handle is also attached to a stiff cable in the central tunnel, which splits into two, and connects to the left and right heat exchanger control doors (via linkages at front of the heat exchangers).

markeaton wrote:
As I had mentioned in an early post, i've been a fiberglass buggy guy, and have now turned to full sedans, so learning heat is all very new to me.

If and when you can get all the heater components replaced, fixed, and/or working correctly, bet you're going to like it. I absolutely love the heater in my car at this time of year!! Smile

Last edited by baldessariclan on Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

Brian ... this is another very helpful piece of information... thank you so much.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

Well baldessariclan, living in New Hampshire, heat is a must Very Happy
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Well baldessariclan, living in New Hampshire, heat is a must Very Happy

I grew up in AK and have lived in Quebec as well, so I definitely hear you on that one brother! Smile

BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

If you are having problems getting the Y piece in position here are some photos of my 78. When the pans were replaced the installer apparently cut the heater channels and peeled them back to insert the outside of the Y and put duct tape on them. He also left the valve flaps out of the tube and the metal tube for the cable loose.
I replaced the Y and applied exhaust cement to the largest of the holes in the channel then wrapped it in foil tape and silicone tape.
Not necessarily the ideal option but you could cut the channel tube like this installer did and mend it back. I had also read that you to remove the body to move the Bakelite pieces.

BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

Forgot to attach the photo after finishing the reassembly. You could use zip ties or hose clamps like I did.
cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

On a related question to "Bugcaster" are any of those seat-belt re-tractors bolted down or they just kinda hang there??? mine are all over the place and seems like they should be attached some place in that area?
#cajunhotrodder on insta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

In the first photo the seat belt retractor for the front seat shoulder belt is attached but you can't see the bolt. In the next photo you can see the threaded hole for the bolt.
The front lap belt attaches just below the rear of the door opening. On mine the retractors were sticky so I ran them through an ultrasonic bath. Then I drilled a small hole just big enough for the tube on the WD40 can and squirted. The slotted fitting the shoulder belt goes through by the rear window was rough from plating coming off and corrosion. I was able to sand that smooth.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

You need this to connect the heat flap cable to the heat control cable. If you care about originality, I think the originals were black.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N174710
Here is a general breakdown, click on the red circles.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/chassis/bug_chassis.cfm

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

Thanks Brian-

I am so mad at myself. I just placed and order from WW yesterday and missed that one.

Thank you,
Mark
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

If you have a electrical supply house nearby you might be able to find something there. I don't know what they are used for in the electric business, but the ones I have seen come in groups of 6 or 8 or more. You just cut them apart.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

Ya I just found one on McMaster Carr and Fastenal

https://www.mcmaster.com/6922k51

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0779320;...377fcd1d2c

Thanks for your feedback !!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

Anything can work. VW used plastic. I just remembered the name, google "barrier screw wire connector" and you should find them.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

Does anyone make a replacement for the insulation wrap? I saw that Mid-America Motorworks has a type of insulation, but I'm not sure it's correct, or even thick enough.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to attached - under rear seat Y heat (photo included) Reply with quote

I bought mine just recently from MAM and it worked. Did a slight bit of trimming.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: