Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooby split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

Hi I have been given an automatic transmission that has had the diff to auto trans seals fail
and the fluids mix my question is is it possible to rebuild the box with a rebuild kit ?
I would like to save the diff at the very least as it's the NJ code differential and I'm hoping to fit the go westy peloquin to it so much of the internals would be replaced, I have 2 cobra transmissions rebuild kits with all new clutches steels brake bands and seals, I will be stripping it down any way just for the experience to learn how to rebuild them I just wanted to know if it might be possible to save it and do a rebuild any advice would be most welcome
Cheers Phil
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

Yes, it's possible to rebuild it yourself. Do some searching here and you'll find all kinds of tips and tricks along with full documentation of the rebuild.
scooby split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

Hi yes thanks zimflux thats great news I will do some research on here, I suppose I will just have to clean all the old oils contamination from the inside of the box and empty the torque converter
Cheers phil Very Happy
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

As per this thread the rebuild is best accomplished at a campsite.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
scooby split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

Hi ribeye thanks for that link , may be it's not as daunting a job as I first thought
I suppose will just have to keep every thing in order and just replace all the contaminated clutches and brake bands for new ones I have been cleaning all the dirt oil and rust off the gearbox before I dismantle it and I noticed a couple of damage teeth on the torque converter I have another torque converter on another transmission from an earlier 1.9 so my question is can I just use that one on this box instead are they all the same ? or should I stick with the one that came with this box it isn't that badly damaged although some of the teeth do look worn on parts of the starter ring
Cheers phil
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

This thread has a lot of good info for rebuilding:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7512286

Enjoy the next week it's going to take you to read all of it.

If you're going through the trouble to rebuild it, don't reuse the torque converter. It's not worth the risk!
Call German Transaxle and get another one.
scooby split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

Hi blackglasspirate thanks for that link I'm now back to thinking it was as daunting as I first thought how the heck did that guy do it at a campsite
I was hoping to just remove all the contaminated clutches and bands and reasemble it
That link is combining the Audi 5000 box parts so that probably makes it look more complex,
I wouldn't know how to work out what shims I need to when it comes to mating the automatic back to the differential or wouldn't I need to alter any shims if I stuck to the standard vanagon parts ?
I have three vanagon automatic transmissions one is in the bus and is working apart from a whine in first gear so that's why I could do with a replacement to swap over I did buy another supposedly working box from Ebay but once cleaned up it had a bad leak from the second brake band piston cover then I got given this transmission that had the oils mixed so i have 3 boxes that all need work and I can't find any one over this side of the pond that knows how to rebuild these boxes I've heard some real horror stories about guys having to have them rebuilt several times and costing fortunes before they got fixed correctly
I thought If I give it a go and it goes wrong then I would have to chance it and take it to a professional to fix but if I can do it then I might fix all 3 in the end or at least 2 if I have to sacrifice one for parts.
Regarding the torque converter I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to ship one over here plus what ever they would cost in the first place and as I have 3 torque converters all ready
with 2 of them on working boxes couldn't I just use one of those ? I understand that the one with the mixed oils would have contamination so I wouldn't use that one
Anyway I will keep reading that link to see if it sinks in
thanks again and if others have any advice please chime in
Any help at this point is much appreciated
Cheers phil
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

The second band cover leak is an easy fix.

I did it and made a step by step guide, I'll try to find it.

FOUND IT!!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8904128#8904128

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

Hi thanks for that link Dave that will be very useful and I should be able to takle it ,the only thing is I'm not sure if I have the seals to do it in my rebuild kit I did buy the master kit but as non of the seals have any labels I can't tell if I have them I suppose I will just have to take the piston out to compare with the ones I have the only drawback with that box is it's mated to the diff with the higher reving ring and pinion and the case is very corroded in comparison to the newer one with the mixed oils which comes with the better diff gear ratio
Any way I will probably takle the easier one to do first then have a go at the other when I'm a bit more confident
Thanks for the info I will report back on how it goes when I get the piston out
Cheers phil
scooby split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

I've got the piston out and changed the seals ( I did have them in the kit ) but I did find a broken circlip that holds the steel rod on to the piston and it must have been lose in the piston for a while as it has done a little damage to the alloy piston and torn the inner seal on the piston I don't know how it could have functioned like this I was sold it as a good working gearbox Twisted Evil I just hope that's all that's wrong with it any way I have filed the burrs of the piston and I'm going to fit it back as soon as I can get another circlip I don't think the damage is too bad now it's been de burred and with the new seals I'm hoping it should be ok it's got to be better than it was
Thanks to everyone who gave me the links they definitely made the job easier next up will be a full rebuild of the other box with the mixed oils
I will report back when I get round to it
Cheers phil
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

Was this the clip that broke?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The solution is to find a later used 010 transmission with the "improved piston" that is pressed together. Look for a 1990 to be be sure:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

Hi yes exactly, that was the circlip that broke I have a later box that I was going to try and rebuild so I'm not keen on taking parts off that one unless its totally kaput when I open it up I wondered if I could stick a washer behind the circlip to spread the pressure or even tack a spot weld on the circlip to attach it to the washer so it can't come off ? I don't know, is this a common fault then ?
Please chime in if any one thinks this might work or not or has a better solution
Any advice most welcome
Cheers phil
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic transmission rebuild advice needed Reply with quote

It is/was a very common fault. Epidemic on the early 010s.

The improved piston with the solid pressed rod came in two lengths. A long and short. Depends on which drum the brake band runs on. Be sure and check the length of that rod.

I made a new rod, when I built up my daughter's VW Cabriolet 010 with Porsche 924 internals. Dimpled and pressed the end on that.

You could fit a new C clip on the rod. I certainly would tack weld it at the very least.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: