Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BRM wheels with studs/lug nuts, getting rid of lug bolts
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: BRM wheels with studs/lug nuts, getting rid of lug bolts Reply with quote

I am going to add studs to my BRM wheels on my '62 5 wide, they are 60 degree taper. I found some 33mm long studs and acorns lugs that are 35mm long. Is this what people are using when converting to studs? I dont want to use the "open" style lug that you can see the stud with but it looks like 33mm is the shortest 12x1.5 acorn lug I can find.

I am done with the lug bolts, they are a PIA to put the wheels back on and easy to cross thread.
Fman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BRM wheels with studs/lug nuts, getting rid of lug bolts Reply with quote

For anyone interested this is what I ended up using:

12x1.50 stud https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWJ6BHJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12x1.50 acorn lug nuts with 60 degree https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDHZQN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blue loctite

Everything seems to be working great, so much better having studs instead of those crappy lug bolts to deal with!
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: BRM wheels with studs/lug nuts, getting rid of lug bolts Reply with quote

Are your BRM’s a newer knockoff copy or originals? I got the newer Empi 15”x5” BRM’s. Same as you, I wanted to switch over to studs. I originally ordered the same style acorns you have listed, but they are like a 22mm and because of the inset of the lugs in the wheel there was no way I would have been able to tighten them all the way since that large of a socket did not fit down the hole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It definitely worked out since I really did not like the look of the “nipple” on the regular style acorns.

Ended up going with these from Empi, 19mm so the socket will fit down to tighten them up all the way and they do not have the cheesy nipple on the end

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D70%2D2870

Really happy with the look, and they should be much easier to work with, but the butthurt of spending $80 on lugnuts isn’t going away for awile, lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: