Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro 16 wheels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Are the oem 16s still available anywhere? I swear I had a bookmark for a couple sites, but can't locate them. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

unitedracing wrote:
Are the oem 16s still available anywhere? I swear I had a bookmark for a couple sites, but can't locate them. Thanks

Are Mefros OEM? Not sure but they sure look the part. You can get Mefros from a few vendors. I’d shop around.
https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-Wheels-Tires-16STEEL-p/16steel.htm
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

I'm not sure. Did Mefro make the originals? You're right though they look pretty much the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Mefro was the manufacturer.
They're actually in France. They go for like 50 bucks a pop at caravans retailers but I think they stopped production recently.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

That's what I heard too. No mas.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Mefro was the manufacturer.
They're actually in France. They go for like 50 bucks a pop at caravans retailers but I think they stopped production recently.

At VanCafe for $150 Ea
https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-Wheels-Tires-16STEEL-p/16steel.htm
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

I have a 16" syncro with factory wheels. The Mefro looks very similar, though the factory wheels were painted black.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

From my research, it looks like factory Syncro 16 rims have 15 perimeter holes. The Mefro's have 16. South African steel rims and Syncro 14 rims have 20 holes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

I don't belive that mefros were syncro 16 wheels, the are different width and missing some raise dimples near the lug nuts.
Around 2008 I was looking for stronger wheels than the SA steel wheels that i bent offroad. I found out about mefro wheels gmbh and encouraged peter at VC to import a set for me even though they were a trailer rim. They turned out to be more durable and looked very similar to stock and were available in 15" and 16". He imported a pallet of them initially and soon after they came in regularly several pallets at a time to try to catch up with demand.
Apparently they were purchased by accuride last year, a heavy truck wheel manufacturer. I am longer able to find something that will fit our vans in their new catalog.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

The Mefro 15" rims I bought from Campervan Culture have a DOT/ECE stamp. FYI, They don't say "TRAILER" on them. I bought them a few months ago. I do have a set of "trailer use only" rims on my old pickup. They seem fine. I'm not sure what the difference is vs reg truck wheels.

The steel on the Mefro's is thicker than the SA rims I have.

Here's a vendor that makes some nice looking steel rims...

https://www.corsasteelies.com/wheels

Last edited by tjet on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

That stamp certifies it for road use. I am not sure that there is a trailer stamp but i do know what catalog that i got them out of and had purchased for me which became a staple rim in the US through VC.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
From my research, it looks like factory Syncro 16 rims have 15 perimeter holes. The Mefro's have 16. South African steel rims and Syncro 14 rims have 20 holes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just looking at the amount of metal between holes the original Syncro 16 wheels look the strongest to me.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Syncro 16 steel wheels are 251601027A. They are 16x5.5 ET34, probably work best with "skinny" tires.
I checked vwclassic and a few of the usual suspects and they didn't offer them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

There are wheels out there in private hands,. The owners of Syncro 16's who have done big brake mods where the wheels do not fit anymore.
I think I paid $600.00 for my Winter tire set of 4 in 2016. Shipping charges then were $300.00, but that was because I had to do expedited shipping
I don't even want to think about what it would cost for shipping today the way prices have gone up on shipping.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
The Mefro 15" rims I bought from Campervan Culture have a DOT/ECE stamp. FYI, They don't say "TRAILER" on them. I bought them a few months ago. I do have a set of "trailer use only" rims on my old pickup. They seem fine. I'm not sure what the difference is vs reg truck wheels.

The steel on the Mefro's is thicker than the SA rims I have.

Here's a vendor that makes some nice looking steel rims...

https://www.corsasteelies.com/wheels

Trailer wheels are typically made with a "0" offset as opposed to a car wheel with say ET 30 offset.
This "0" offset is to distribute the weight of the trailer evenly on the wheel inner and outer wheel bearings.
That is why there is a size difference in a cars inner and outer wheel bearings.

So one of you wheel bearings is going to wear out perhaps a bit sooner!

clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

OEM Syncro 16" wheels are a thicker gauge of steel than Mefro wheels, which means that they're really heavy to move around, particularly if you have a chunky all-terrain tyre fitted. OEM wheels also have raised areas between the bolt holes to clearance the head of the retaining bolt on the rear brake drum - with the Mefros you generally need to omit this bolt to make the wheels sit flat. In terms of dimensions, the Mefros are a slightly wider rim at 6x16" whereas the OEMs are 5.5x16" - it's not a big difference, but it does mean that you should check that any tyres you are considering fitting to the OEM wheels are specified as compatible with a rim that narrow. Lastly, the Mefros need wheel nuts with a tighter R12 seat radius than OEM wheel nuts, so you should include for these in your shopping list.

The only oddity we've found with our OEM rims is that we've had to put a 3mm spacer behind them to clearance the SA big brake front calipers we have fitted.

I'm pretty sure you can't get the OEM 16" wheels new any more, whereas the Mefros are still available new.

Last edited by clift_d on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Metros are ET30, no issues with wheel bearings.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

I see a lot of discussion trying to distinguish the Mefro wheels fron the Syncro 16".

Mefro was prolly the manufacturer for VW but it doesn`t mean they were allowed to sell them on their own Wink So they`re clearly 2 different wheels.

The SA wheels are made for Mercedes, I posted pics elsewhere, it has the Mercedes part number on them. Oddly enough, the same part number comes up with a different offset elsewhere in the world (German supplied wheels) Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Mefros don't look like synco 16 wheels side by side. Syncro 16 wheel center face looks really flat are are easy to identify. The width and offset are different as well as the lug nuts they use, even the syncro 16 center caps can't be used. If they made the wheels for vw they changed the design completely for theirs.
My SA steel wheels are stamped with VW and the Audi rings logo next to it. Definitely nothing about Mercedes on them.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro 16 wheels Reply with quote

Now I'm curious about the weight of the Syncro 16 wheel with a tire?
I remember my Land Rover oem 16" wheels with the stock tire size being 75 lbs.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: