Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What should i expect to run in 1/8 mi. ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What should i expect to run in 1/8 mi. ? Reply with quote

I'm guessing in the low 9s to high 8's . just need to eliminate any wheel hop to save the transmission . You may not care if you blow the box but the other racers and track officials do if it drops its guts all over the track .

170whp , full weight Ghia ,with the added weight of the 091 and type 4 , 4.57R&P 2.92 .1.86 1.26 .089 gears .24in street tyres one good run was 8.48 . 83mph. with 1.95 60 tried to ramp up the launch but the clutch wasn't up to the task .

This shows the difference a little lower gearing makes . Ivkings' running a 4.13 R&P plus the 2 inch taller tyres affects times a fair bit . particularly on a heavy NA car .
There is always a compromise for a street/strip car .
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What should i expect to run in 1/8 mi. ? Reply with quote

I have A mid trans mount and truss bar hopefully that will help. As far as someone at the track having to wait till my mess is cleaned up welllll. Ive been going to the track with my family that races for about 30 years and i cant recall one race where we didnt have to wait on a mess to be cleaned up usually someone running antifreeze or thought if it gets on its top stay in it , it might get back on its wheels. Stuff happens thats racing. Get over it or stay home. I will be going on test and tune night not a points race and i will say it again im not going to be racing every weekend this is a street car just want to get an idea what i should expect.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What should i expect to run in 1/8 mi. ? Reply with quote

Make sure you have some urethane spring plate bushings, or a combo of urethane, and a bronze retainer like from JayCee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What should i expect to run in 1/8 mi. ? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Make sure you have some urethane spring plate bushings, or a combo of urethane, and a bronze retainer like from JayCee.

Please elaborate? Why do i need them?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What should i expect to run in 1/8 mi. ? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The urethane goes behind the brass spring plate from Jaycee. Keeps everything right and very little movement.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What should i expect to run in 1/8 mi. ? Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Please elaborate? Why do i need them?

Mid mounts, truss bars, traction bars assist with frame horn movement.

Rubber torsion grommets will allow the springplate to move back in forth under heavy acceleration, and load/unload the torsion bar in the springplate.

Depending on how crazy you want to get, the next step is heavier torsion bars, and adjustable shocks to control them.

Something else to think about as a tuning aid is an ignition system, like from MSD, that will allow you to have a “two step” launch rpm limiter. The Super in my avatar worked the best around 3800rpm running a 1776 with a 195/65 street tire. A couple hundred either way would spin, or bog. The first time I had a trans capable of staying together with a 2276 in a 67 Beetle, I proceeded to lay about a 20 yard patch with some 10 year old petrified 195/65’s leaving around 4000.

Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What should i expect to run in 1/8 mi. ? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info . Nice looking setup too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: