Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 Prairie Beige
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

Decided to start a thread on my newest project. EXTREMELY solid and unmolested. I believe it to be a US spec car with a NON export cloth interior. I would of never guessed it would of had the Euro interior package but it had the OG door panels(ratty) that are cloth.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a pic of theOG door panel:

And the replacement upholstery sourced from Germany (WCCR):

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

The car has been local to central Washington for a long time stored indoors. The last registration is from the town of Stratford(not even a town per se).

It was last on the road in 90-91. At that time someone decided to repaint the car a very horrible canary cream yellow. I couldn't stand the yellow buttercream paint so my ole lady and I spent the last couple months stripping the respray with citrus strip and plastic razor blades. It was heavily sanded prior to paint and it took FOREVER cutting and buffing the OG paint. Will do more buffing as spring comes. It is turning out pretty good considering how much it was sanded. I did do some paint blending on a handful of areas due to sanding damage. Will show those areas when I can get better pics. One area that needed tig welding was the infamous droopy front hood/crack. The hood repair turned out great.

Last edited by type241 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

All the interior rubber mats are great. I shipped the fire wall mat to WCCR so he could sew the new German carpet to the OG mat. Seats covers are being put on the seats right now. Hope to have them back soon. Basically interior and rubber seals are the only things I have had to replace.

I added the cruiser pedal and the Bambus parcel tray.

Wheels I blasted and painted L-277 Silver Beige and
L-77 Dark Beige(modified nutria, I forgot as the real paint code isnt available). Didn't even have to replace hub cap clips. Mounted new bias ply Firestone 5.60 x 15.

Last edited by type241 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

Hope to see those wheels cuz the whole L77 dark beige has been a mystery. Even better, a formula and mystery solved.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

The wiring in the car is perfect. I didn't have to repair anything. All lights work.
Horn is the only not working. Haven't tried to fix yet. All the light fixtures are great.

This car had two fenders painted at the factory a different color car from 56.
Drivers front looks to have been multple 56 colors but the most recent showing through is Polar Silver. Drivers rear was black.

Here are the door panels from WCCR:

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

Very cool, and nice work on stripping off the crappy repaint.
Lest see some more pics with the whitewalls now on. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

No white walls. The tires on the wheels are the Firestone 5.60 x 15.

You can see in this pic the car wasn't undercoated. Another reason I think this car didn't orginate from around here. With our harsh climate they all got undercoated aound these parts. EVERY VW I have had in the past has been dealer installed undercoating. You could buff the paint in the wheel wells. No Rust.

Last edited by type241 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

From 1 prairie beige to another, you have 1 strange bird there, I like interior.
BTW nice work.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

I recently noticed my NEW door panels are not the same as my OG panels.

The OG panels had vinyl top and bottom. These came with vinyl only on bottom. I think it is a mistake by WCCR. The interior is great, no complaints at all, EXCEPT that there is suppose to be vinyl top and bottom. I have contacted WCCR, just waiting for response. Might just turn into a one of a kind custom interior.

Here is a pic showing what my door panels should be. This is the pic of the door panel I sent to them to copy minus the brown trim.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

That is a beautiful car...amazing. But that door panel situation is kind of a tough pill to swallow for a car like that. You'd want as correct as possible, even though it's basically 1-off car.

You're in my neighborhood too! Hit me up if you need company this summer going to any fun outings. Vintage meet or anything.
I'd love to see that in person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

Tough pill to swallow for sure.

I am picking up my seats in few hours. They turned out sweet. Will post pics later when I get home.

Bub - I was looking at your new oval prior to your purchasing it. Cool color you got.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
Tough pill to swallow for sure.
I am picking up my seats in few hours. They turned out sweet. Will post pics later when I get home.
Bub - I was looking at your new oval prior to your purchasing it. Cool color you got.

Oh...non-export weird Euro seats are awesome. I want to see those.
In my 54' I'm going to for sure salvage the passenger seat, back seat is fairly good as is. Drivers seat will be a project, might get a seat cover until I can sort it out and decide if the upholstery is salvageable.

I have a LIST/ shopping cart set up for project 'stages' I'm doing this in. I love the Jupiter Grey, but I'd honestly rather have patina like yours than new paint.
New carpet and headliner against old salvaged upholstery is cool..but it can clash. Old upholstery against new paint..it's kind of all over the place for me.

I've considered knocking the paint down and doing a fake patina on it. It's not a fantastic paint job and needs finishing. Overall the car may look better 'worn' than half new and half old.

Did you replace any sound deadening in the 1/4 panels / doors or anywhere while it's apart? I need to figure that out too. Dynamat works..but It feels weird to put that in this car.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

Seats are done. Turned out very good. I had the local upholstery guy in town install the WCCR seat covers. He was very impressed with the quality of the seat covers. Was able to use all the original horse hair seat pads. Seat frames were like new with manufacturers tags attached to seat springs. No hog rings were used in seat cover install.

Need to clean the floor mats some more and install the rear mats.

Gonna have to wait to install rear seat as I am waiting on the door panel confusion to be ironed out.

Last edited by type241 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

Beautiful car! You've definitely been putting in some serious work. Seats turned out awesome! I'd be sending those door panels back though...shouldn't be too much work for them to add the vinyl. For the money you spend there, it should be right.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
I recently noticed my NEW door panels are not the same as my OG panels.

The OG panels had vinyl top and bottom. These came with vinyl only on bottom. I think it is a mistake by WCCR. The interior is great, no complaints at all, EXCEPT that there is suppose to be vinyl top and bottom. I have contacted WCCR, just waiting for response. Might just turn into a one of a kind custom interior.

Here is a pic showing what my door panels should be. This is the pic of the door panel I sent to them to copy minus the brown trim.

The picture show a door card for a Nile beige oval (I have one) Smile

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

Still need vinyl top and bottom of door panel, no matter the car color.

Last edited by type241 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ricobiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

I am restoring a 57 oval, I purchased the birth certificate from vw and the original color was prairie beige. 56-57 prairie beige was the only color that had the copper red cloth. Or light beige or red leatherette.
I have been searching for 10 months for that cloth interior.
Where in Germany did you find it?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Beautiful car! You've definitely been putting in some serious work. Seats turned out awesome! I'd be sending those door panels back though...shouldn't be too much work for them to add the vinyl. For the money you spend there, it should be right.

yeah awesome car greg! maybe ill zoom down this spring and check it out.

yeah I'd be sending those door panels back as well, especially since you supplied photos of what you wanted.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 56 Prairie Beige Reply with quote

Thanks, Sled.

We should plan a North Cascades Treffen when the pass opens.

Here are some pics of the interior with the mats freashly cleaned.

Still even has the area in the rear floor mat around battery strap.

Here is a picture of the dash with the sticker.

Here are some pics of the factory installed scraps(for the purist nerds). The piece around the door handle and window winder is bus seat material turned inside out. The durable weather resistant side to the outside. Door handle has piece of headliner wrapped around bracket.

Last edited by type241 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: