Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

You can use the transmission that is already bolted to that engine by either adapting the hubs with some machine work, having someone make up adapters to allow your CVs to bolt up or by replacing the hubs with the 100mm CV type.

I've found that it is often cheaper to just buy an older transmission that already has the 100mm hubs on it. Search car-part.com and look at 1988 Audi 80 transmssion , there are a few there right now for a couple hundred bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I suppose one option would be to cut the inboard end off of a Passat axle and weld it to a shortened Vanagon axle. I assume any place that builds custom driveshafts could handle this.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of work compared to just swapping flanges and using stock or 930 CV's depending on which flanges you use...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

So, can you just swap the small early style flanges with those larger late units?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
So, can you just swap the small early style flanges with those larger late units?

There is a big spline and a small spline, as long as you have the right one it’ll work. I’m still not sure what decided the spline size, it doesn’t seem to be a certain year change.

As far as shifting the transmission goes, using the Boxster shifter and cables seems to be the best way to go. The cables need to get lengthened and you need to work with the linkage a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Tools arrived! Head bolt tool (6 point, 10 mm) and 3m roloc bristle disc for prepping surfaces for new gaskets. This is one of those tools that I never would have known about but now do thanks to wisdom of samba posters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Head is now off.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Block showing pistons. There is some wetness around cylinder 4. The cylinder cover gasket was clearly leaking but this looks to be also around head gasket.

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Question for those with much greater engine rebuilding wisdom, what is cause for visible presence of oil around #4? Rings? No big deal or big deal?

Also, you can see that I have left many hoses /accessories still attached. Is there good reason to strip everything off at this point? I will be doing slight modifications to piston per Andrew's thread then putting bottom end back together...
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

To my eye, it appears cylinders 3 and 4 might be "wet" ?

For my vw gas inline engine rebuild, I used a good quality carpenters straight edge (from Lee Valley IIRC) and feeler gauges to measure for head warpage. What I found (no warpage) was confirmed by a machine shop. No issues with head et al after ~ 20K km's.

I started these threads re: rebuilding my ABA 2.0 vw engine:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8232730&highlight=warpage#8232730

I know it's a bunch to weed through but the replies to my questions might have relevant tips for your rebuild.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
Question for those with much greater engine rebuilding wisdom, what is cause for visible presence of oil around #4? Rings? No big deal or big deal?

Also, you can see that I have left many hoses /accessories still attached. Is there good reason to strip everything off at this point? I will be doing slight modifications to piston per Andrew's thread then putting bottom end back together...

My guess is that it’s just oil that ran down from the head and spread out when you unbolted the head, probably nothing to worry about.
You can leave the accessories and hoses on the engine but it only takes a a few minutes to pull them off and makes it easier to clean up the block and give it a quick coat of paint.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Vanagon nut- Thanks for pointing me to your thread, I will definitely take a look.

Andrew- That's a relief. I went ahead and pulled all accessories off. Amazing to me how small the case and bottom end are by themselves and that this little block can generate so much potential HP.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

More progress and some more questions. I will not be removing my crankshaft, just pistons and rods, correct? Special tool for removing toothed belt gear for crankshaft so I can get in and make modification to oil pump? And finally, poster named "foodeater" posted that he can make oil pump bracket. Anyone know if he is still willing to do this?

[/i]
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

You need to take the crank out to fix the ring that the crank sensor reads from. The crank bolt to get the oil pump cover off is just a 10mm 12point. It’ll be on there good, I use a 3/4 impact to remove them.

EDIT! It’s a 19mm socket, not 10mm

Last edited by xoo00oox on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush, did any of those emails I sent you get through? Sometimes when I send things they wind up in people's spam folders, and I haven't figured out why...

X2 on taking off the timing belt sprocket, front main seal housing and pulling the crank. Beyond fixing the crank sensor ring, it also gives you a chance to check all the bearings and journals "just in case", even if you put it all back together exactly how it was before.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

When I first saw that bolt I was like "what?". ... Wink I use a 19 mm 12 point socket to get the crank pulley bolt off. And YMMV, use at your own risk, but with engine on stand, since I wasn't re-using the flex plate, I bolted a bar to the auto tranny flex plate, braced bar against a post to allow crank pulley bolt removal. Use a known good reliable torque wrench to re install new crank pulley bolt. (Don't ask. Yes I have pictures. lol. )

Safety first! Smile

Neil.

akmush wrote:
Special tool for removing toothed belt gear for crankshaft

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
When I first saw that bolt I was like "what?". ... Wink I use a 19 mm 12 point socket to get the crank pulley bolt off. And YMMV, use at your own risk, but with engine on stand, since I wasn't re-using the flex plate, I bolted a bar to the auto tranny flex plate, braced bar against a post to allow crank pulley bolt removal. Use a known good reliable torque wrench to re install new crank pulley bolt. (Don't ask. Yes I have pictures. lol. )

Safety first! Smile

Neil.

With my std shift engine (ABA), I just used a piece of steel bar between flywheel bolts and used the engine stand itself to stop rotation of the bar. Real simple and it worked well. I guess one could have drilled the bar and passed the flywheel bolts through it, but there wasn't a burning need if you aren't doing this often.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Andrew- Thanks for clarification. Never done engine teardown all the way to crankshaft, yikes! New territory for me...

tritessa- I did get you pm. Thanks! Wiring harness will be later step and new territory as well!

Vanagon Nut- Thanks for sharing your method. I will be attempting something similar.

vanagonjr- Thanks for sharing your variation as well. It all helps!
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Getting ready to remove crank pulley nut. Question- do I need to set engine at spot like TDC and make paint mark? Or, is this not necessary as I will be removing crank and effectively starting from scratch?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
Getting ready to remove crank pulley nut. Question- do I need to set engine at spot like TDC and make paint mark? Or, is this not necessary as I will be removing crank and effectively starting from scratch?

You’re going to be starting from scratch, just take the bolt out anytime.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 21

Jump to: