Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference? Reply with quote

First, yes I searched.

This is a quick question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but I wanted to confirm before closing things up. Basically i'm replacing the heater core and hooked up the coolant hoses and realized I wasn't 100% on which went onto each connection. The gowesty video is confusing. When you look at the hose connections as they take the hoses off they are one way, and in reconnecting them they specially call out doing it the opposite. In looking at other videos, it's appears that what they are suggesting to do is opposite of factory.

From what I understand about the heater core, basically you just need coolant flowing through it and the direction is irrelevant so which one goes where does not matter for function, but perhaps i'm wrong.

Thoughts? I just don't want to put the whole dash back together only to have poor function and have to pull it apart agin. Thanks in advance.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference? Reply with quote

Eric_Taylor wrote:
From what I understand about the heater core, basically you just need coolant flowing through it and the direction is irrelevant so which one goes where does not matter for function, but perhaps i'm wrong.

You're not wrong.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference? Reply with quote

What I.s important is that the inlet and outlet pipe are separated inside the core.

Too many aftermarket cores don't have this barrier thus no heat (or minimal heat) is produced by the core.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8340396

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671397

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8976093

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It's the GoWesty heater core, which I understood to be one of the better, if not best, replacement option. With the mention of the separation of the pipes inside, I should follow their advice in the video where they install the same exact core. Thank you both!
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference? Reply with quote

I just snapped photos today. I am doing the whole front heater core with new hoses and cables. Hope these help. That is how they came off of a 86 Syncro. It is unknown to me if they have been done before. This is the rear most of the van hose.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is how they are:

In the picture below, I am trying to show the curves.

The two hoses are lined up on top of eachother. The front most (vehicle) is a bit longer into the outlet.

I will be in there in the morning, trying to button it up tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference? Reply with quote

Awesome. That's super helpful and really appreciate the effort. That's how I've seen them in numerous videos and photos. However, when you watch the GoWesty heater box rebuild video, when they install, they actually swap them! This is where the confusion comes from. They use their heater core in the video, and so am I, so i'm going with their arrangement. Based on the above, it sounds like it's not going to make a huge hill of beans either way, so i'm just trying to match up with what they are suggesting for their product. Almost done with the project now. My 7 month old daughter needs attention and that means this is a month long project Smile.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference? Reply with quote

Give them a call in the morning. They have been helpful over the phone and by email when I've had questions.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Heater Core: Inlet & Outlet or no Difference? Reply with quote

I went through the same dilemma when I rebuilt by heater and at the end I decided that it would not make a difference. I hope I wasn't wrong too.

I ended up reusing the OEM as it was in excellent shape (even though I had a GoWesty unit with me)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: