Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

when i turn my key and try to start does that make the large pulley turn? because i don't think when i try to start my large pulley is moving.

Also when i try to turn large pulley by hand which way should i be turning it? clockwise?

can i try to start it without the belt on just to see if large pulley moves?
i know now not to leave it run due to overheating, just trying to confirm if my large pulley is moving at all.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

You should be able to turn it either way but when the engine is running the normal direction of rotation is clockwise.

Just put a socket on the big nut on the crank pulley and see if you can rotate the engine.

Trans must be in neutral for this to work.

if it doesn't turn, it's gonna be expensive.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

If the engine is turning over when you turn the key to the start position the large pulley is most likely going to be turning. The key that holds the pulley to the crankshaft would have had to have sheared for the pulley not to turn if the crank is turning.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

Yes you can pull the belt off and try to run it for a minute or two. Not longer. There is a chance that the alternator bearing has seized, or the fan broke and seized, and that shredded the belt.
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

Ok I removed the nut on the small top pulley, then removed the pulley its self to count the shims. I have 6 shims total.

I then replaced the shims and pulley how I found them and screwed the nut back on using a 21mm ratchet and screwdriver to hold the pulley into position.

I tightened the nut up using the ratchet as tight as I could by hand.

using the ratchet without the screwdriver to hold the small upper pulley, I was able to turn the small upper pulley and witnessed it also turn the large lower pulley as I turned the small pulley with ratchet.

I felt it was time to try to turn the key and give it another shot.

I took note of the large lower pulley position before turning the key to the start position.

After trying to start I can definitely say that the large lower pulley turns when I try to start using the key.

Two things I also noticed that I would like to mention are:

1) while using the ratchet to turn the small upper pulley I noticed some times it would grab the belt and also turn the lower pulley, but other times the small upper pulley would turn and the belt would just (I guess you would call it) slip.

Now I did tighten the nut as much as possible by hand so I'm guessing maybe I need more shins? as mentioned above I have 6 shims

2) also worth noting I did use wd-40 at first lightly on the 21mm nut to break it free originally when I began this job. using a paper towel it was all wiped clean several times. but the thought did cross my mind maybe its causing the slipping
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

Pic of my Fuel filter. you can see fuel level in the bottom of the plastic tip just above the hose clamp but not even in the main filter area at all. looks low to me.

should this filter be full of fuel?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

If your generator pulley ( the one with the shims) is slipping much while trying to turn the crankshaft pulley, then you need to take a shim or 2 from between the halves and this will tighten the pinch on the belt a bit. Put the removed shims on the outside of the generator pulley under the nut, so you still have them on the shaft and your total thickness doesn’t change. With 3verything tightened down and the belt running true, you should have about 1/2” to 3/4” deflection when you push on the outside of the belt at midpoint between pulleys. In your travels, you ordered a Bentley and or a Muir manual right? Right? Cool I can’t tell if there is fuel in the filter or not from here. If it’s empty, then that is a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

1FineOLD69 wrote:
Ok I removed the nut on the small top pulley, then removed the pulley its self to count the shims. I have 6 shims total.

When tightening the nut the pulleys will tend to compress the belt, verses tighten against each other. You need to pretty much continually turn the upper pulley so that the belt will keep working outward as the nut is tightened. When the nut of properly tightened the two halves of the pulley will be touching each other in their centers. You need to use a screwdriver to keep the upper pulley from turning when you do the final bit of tightening.

Not sure how many shims there are to start with, but I think more than six.

Assuming the flow through the filter is bottom to top, then the filter should be full of fuel. How much fuel is in your tank? Do you have a mechanical or electric pump?
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
1FineOLD69 wrote:

When tightening the nut the pulleys will tend to compress the belt, verses tighten against each other. You need to pretty much continually turn the upper pulley so that the belt will keep working outward as the nut is tightened. When the nut of properly tightened the two halves of the pulley will be touching each other in their centers. You need to use a screwdriver to keep the upper pulley from turning when you do the final bit of tightening.

Not sure how many shims there are to start with, but I think more than six.

Assuming the flow through the filter is bottom to top, then the filter should be full of fuel. How much fuel is in your tank? Do you have a mechanical or electric pump?

There is at least 3 gallons of fuel in the tank, i'm not sure if my pump is mechanical or electric.

how can i tell which kind of pump i have?

I can definitely confirm that there is no fuel resting in my fuel filter.

i can see the fuel level sitting in the very bottom of the filter nipple, half inch above the lower fuel clamp.

do yo think this confirms that I'm not getting fuel to the motor thus thats why motor turns over but will not start?

Last edited by 1FineOLD69 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

Generator belt is usually 9.5 x 905 at least in Continental brand. Alternator belt is usually 11.3 x 912 in Continental brand. Yours is a touch large if accurate. Do as Wildthings says until you get it to move the crankshaft pulley without slipping and it has proper deflection. You may need to move the gen pulley with a wrench to get the crank pulley to move. 19mm maybe? Can’t remember...G’nite West Coasters!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
If your generator pulley ( the one with the shims) is slipping much while trying to turn the crankshaft pulley, then you need to take a shim or 2 from between the halves and this will tighten the pinch on the belt a bit. Put the removed shims on the outside of the generator pulley under the nut, so you still have them on the shaft and your total thickness doesn’t change. With 3verything tightened down and the belt running true, you should have about 1/2” to 3/4” deflection when you push on the outside of the belt at midpoint between pulleys. In your travels, you ordered a Bentley and or a Muir manual right? Right? Cool I can’t tell if there is fuel in the filter or not from here. If it’s empty, then that is a problem.

I have the john muir book had it for so long that its pages are stuck together and its now trash. As soon as the belt broke i went right for the book only to discover its garbage. i ordered a new one from my local book store and they say it will be in this tuesday.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

The mechanical pump sits top center on the engine and looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=vw+beetle+fuel+pump

Electric pump come in a variety of shapes and since they are aftermarket can be located in many places between the fuel tank and the carb.
1FineOLD69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The mechanical pump sits top center on the engine and looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=vw+beetle+fuel+pump

Electric pump come in a variety of shapes and since they are aftermarket can be located in many places between the fuel tank and the carb.

I have a mechanical pump. see my pics in this thread or my gallery if you want to confirm this

but I'm 99% sure mine is a mechanical fuel pump
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

My Muir isn’t quite that bad yet. They do get some abuse!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

Get your new Muir book, head down to beach, and read from cover to cover to get in touch with the Ass that bears you.

This will save you about $2000
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

I'd guess that you have the wrong belt size, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't VW use 9 shims on the generator pulleys? I also swear I've read that you should have a minimum of 7 shims. Either way, 6 is not enough shims. In my younger and stupider days, I tried to cut down the number of shims once. It caused all kinds of belt/pulley problems. Just my ¢0.02. Good luck!

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

Pour a little bit of gas down the carburetor and try to fire it again. You are force feeding the engine some gas so it should fire if it has spark. If it doesn't fire then it's time to check for spark.

Pull one of the four plug wires off of the distributor and hold it just above terminal you pulled it from while someone cranks the engine to see if it sparks then report back what you find.

The belt is somewhat irrelevant at this point. It will run with or without it.
The likely scenario is that the carb, fuel tank or pump is gummed up or not working due to it sitting for so long, or the points are constantly closed not allowing the ignition to spark.

Change your fuel lines, relocate the fuel filter on the other side of the FIREwall and get the idiot book. That's too nice of a Bus to be sitting around for years without use.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

I've never been able to turn the crank on any of my VW's by spinning the gen/alt pulley,
unless I first took the spark plugs out. If I could, I'd say I had some pretty miserable
compression pressures.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
I've never been able to turn the crank on any of my VW's by spinning the gen/alt pulley,
unless I first took the spark plugs out. If I could, I'd say I had some pretty miserable
compression pressures.
with a wrench you should be able to. Just don’t forget and leave it on there! Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My belt broke & I replaced it but 69 VW will not turn over HELP Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
compression pressures.

I do it all the time by hand, I use my thumb to press on the slack side of the belt to increase the tension.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: