Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 take 2
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Picked up another engine core (thanks for recommending Valley Westys!) in hopes of having something better to work with than my “rebuilt” one. The heads look much better. There is some pitting though none of it is close to the water jacket seal. A small crack between the valves which I haven’t measured yet. I’d like to clean it up some more. What do you recommend for cleaning the heads? The cylinders are noticeably better than the last ones with clearly visible crosshatching. Pulled the other head last night but haven’t cleaned it up at all. Thanks for any feedback
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

the second engine looks way better.

do you plan on splitting this engine's case? how many miles are on it? i would not run heads with cracks between the valves, it's only going to get worse so why not get a pair of tencentlife heads.

BiWerks Design, LLC
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

My plan is to not split the case on this one. Not sure how many miles were on it but the shop I bought it from said it ran well. I’m not opposed to getting new heads if that makes the most sense. At that point rings? Dehoning cylinders? I’d like to split the case on the first engine and do a thorough rebuild as money and time allow, so I’d like to get this one running and hopefully get some miles out of it. How does one get in touch with tencentlife?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Easy Off oven cleaner is a nice DIY carbon dissolver when you don't have an arsenal of tools etc to clean carbon off.
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Oven cleaner and scotch bright pads?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Careful with scotchbright pads on aluminum. People often think "these are plastic, how abrasive can they be?" but they should be treated the same as sandpaper, not plastic.

On the head cracks, I would not be worried. Every head I've seen and used has had a crack on one side or the other and it's so common VW actually has a spec for it. This engine looks pretty good visually but I'd be curious about the oil pressure, which you'd only know if the seller knew or once you start it up.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

aplusbisme wrote:
How does one get in touch with tencentlife?

redshiftt.com
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Thanks. So what to use if it’s not scotch bright? I’ve searched samba but haven’t found anything. I haven’t measured the crack yet but I am aware there is a tolerance. The mechanic said it had good oil pressure though I’m replacing the oil pump since I’m already in there.
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Thanks. So what to use if it’s not scotch bright? I’ve searched samba but haven’t found anything. I haven’t measured the crack yet but I am aware there is a tolerance. The mechanic said it had good oil pressure though I’m replacing the oil pump since I’m already in there.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

aplusbisme wrote:
Thanks. So what to use if it’s not scotch bright?

i used oven cleaner and the blue scotch brite pads, they are non-abrasive and worked very well.

BiWerks Design, LLC
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Left head. No cracks. Not too much pitting around water jacket seal. Getting the carbon build up off ain’t easy. Haven’t tried the oven cleaner yet. Maybe I should be putting more elbow grease on it?

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

It's interesting that a core engine is in better condition than a supposedly recently rebuilt one. The big question is, are you going to swap over the hand-planked rods?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
It's interesting that a core engine is in better condition than a supposedly recently rebuilt one. The big question is, are you going to swap over the hand-planked rods?

pure gold. this and the rods.

BiWerks Design, LLC
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

The hand planked rods are a collectors item now. Anybody interested? How about these heads though? Definitely better but usable?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

aplusbisme wrote:
The hand planked rods are a collectors item now. Anybody interested? How about these heads though? Definitely better but usable?

what is your end goal? are you hoping to put the engine together quickly and have it back in and running while you do a for real rebuild of the original "rebuilt" engine?

i think you should rebuild the 2nd engine with tencentlife heads and consider that time and money as insurance down the road. that "rebuilt" is a waste of time. you already know it's a basket case.

BiWerks Design, LLC
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

So yeah, in best case scenario, you get heads from tencent and work with your "new" core.

If that's not in budget this year and you want to use your van, there's nothing wrong with trying to reuse those heads IMO. I'm running heads that had very small cracks on both sides and pitting that I did the JB Weld repair to; no leaks for over 3 years now.

This also makes sense if, like me, you anticipate putting in a higher power motor at some point in the future; save your money and run what you got until you have the money to get what you want.
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

My end goal is to do a proper rebuild with my first motor. I’d like to get this one in and running as quickly as possible. I’d hope to get 20-30k miles before putting in the rebuilt engine. Not opposed to buying heads from tencent but I’d rather put that money towards the first motor. Hmmmm????
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

aplusbisme wrote:
My end goal is to do a proper rebuild with my first motor. I’d like to get this one in and running as quickly as possible. I’d hope to get 20-30k miles before putting in the rebuilt engine. Not opposed to buying heads from tencent but I’d rather put that money towards the first motor. Hmmmm????

have you split the case on the first engine? that is really going to be the determining factor of your next step.

BiWerks Design, LLC
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

I have not split the case on engine 1. Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

aplusbisme wrote:
I have not split the case on engine 1. Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated

post the photos of the hand planked rods, we are all on seat's edge waiting.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: