Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Yes, that does help! I did find the green grey on the little that was left of the heater boxes.

The car was taken off the road in March of 76 so that would make sense that the muffler is a very old replacement.

The crash box in the front wheel well has a hole in it, everything behind it is completely gone and rusted away. I think I will drill the spot welds out of the box, then repair behind it. There is some rust in the area you call the lazy s at the bottom.

So, I’ve been thinking about this for a while and was curious on everyone’s thoughts: I’ve been thinking about making fiberglass, removable wheel well liners, similar to what new car have. Would that be a good idea?
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Yes, that does help!
The crash box in the front wheel well has a hole in it, everything behind it is completely gone and rusted away. I think I will drill the spot welds out of the box, then repair behind it. There is some rust in the area you call the lazy s at the bottom.

So, I’ve been thinking about this for a while and was curious on everyone’s thoughts: I’ve been thinking about making fiberglass, removable wheel well liners, similar to what new car have. Would that be a good idea?

Well, there's supposed to be a small hole in it, along with a couple of indents to allow water to pass thru. Usually the bottom indents get plugged, and the box fills with dirt and crap. Then whenever it rains, it gets in there and holds the moisture, causing the inner metal to rust out. Add in the brake rez, and you're attacking that wall from both sides.

Like I said, the very bottom 2 inches of that lazy "S" shaped piece like to rust, because of stone chips, rock salt, road grime, dust and dirt. It's just a normal place that gets beat up with use. Check it out very closely, but keep in mind that the area has a matching lazy "S" cap piece inside that bolts to the floor, and just welding a new skin on it, it'll need to be tied into that cap part too, as the cap reinforces the floor in that area, with a seal in between to keep water out.

I've thought about your idea of a plastic inner liner before. I just don't know what vehicle to use to get one from. I only say that, because there's not much on the outer roll of the fender lip to attach anything to, not to mention some of us have rolled that edge for tire clearance (we're lowered, or using the wrong offset rims, or both). But you also want something light weight (fiberglass is heavy). You want something thin like Honda used on their cars, which is light and thin, but would need to be trimmed to fit on the inside, and maybe use some sort of plastic push pin to hold it in place. Like I said, I've thought about it. I just haven't found anything yet that would work without needing a bunch of work to work.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Hello, it’s been a while since I posted. I had been busy with exams and robotics. Today I got some media blasting done on the engine tin. I found that the fan wheel is rusted through Evil or Very Mad (thanks mice...). I got some of the heater channel repaired. The outer skin turned out bad, it didn’t look good, I might redo it. Bobnotch, you were right about the spacers for the oil cooler. I got the stud for it fixed. Here are some engine pictures
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got the engine tin blasted and painted and installed on the engine also. The tin looks really good. How do you make sure the oil level tube is reading the correct level without the special tool?

I just sold a 64 and earlier rear convertible seat for a beetle, I paid $10 for it at a Antique festival near me and I should made quite a bit from it so that will definitely help the on parts. Yay! Cool

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Got to charge Market Price for your parts regardless! Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Got to charge Market Price for your parts regardless! Twisted Evil

Yep! Sometimes it works in you favor other times it works against Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Got the fan wheel balanced yesterday. I put it on a shaft and rolled it on two saw horses. Not the most accurate way, but it is way closer now. Due to mice pee, the bottom of the fan wheel had extreme pitting causing it to be way lighter on the bottom.

I have a question, for the intake, there is a bake-a-lite plastic piece underneath the intake. My question is are those necessary and can I just put in a gasket. What is the point of them.

Here are the pictures of balancing:

I put magnetic tape on the ID of the fan wheel to get it to go on the shaft (an old shower curtain rod)

There was a lot of weight needed to be added. I just welded on it to add weight.

Then I got the rest installed

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

The 1/4" Bake-Lite spacers are necessary to keep from overheating the carburetors/gasoline!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
Yes, that does help!

Well, there's supposed to be a small hole in it, along with a couple of indents to allow water to pass thru. Usually the bottom indents get plugged, and the box fills with dirt and crap. Then whenever it rains, it gets in there and holds the moisture, causing the inner metal to rust out. Add in the brake rez, and you're attacking that wall from both sides.

Like I said, the very bottom 2 inches of that lazy "S" shaped piece like to rust, because of stone chips, rock salt, road grime, dust and dirt. It's just a normal place that gets beat up with use. Check it out very closely, but keep in mind that the area has a matching lazy "S" cap piece inside that bolts to the floor, and just welding a new skin on it, it'll need to be tied into that cap part too, as the cap reinforces the floor in that area, with a seal in between to keep water out.

I've thought about your idea of a plastic inner liner before. I just don't know what vehicle to use to get one from. I only say that, because there's not much on the outer roll of the fender lip to attach anything to, not to mention some of us have rolled that edge for tire clearance (we're lowered, or using the wrong offset rims, or both). But you also want something light weight (fiberglass is heavy). You want something thin like Honda used on their cars, which is light and thin, but would need to be trimmed to fit on the inside, and maybe use some sort of plastic push pin to hold it in place. Like I said, I've thought about it. I just haven't found anything yet that would work without needing a bunch of work to work.

I realized I never responded to this, sorry. The crash box has a rust hole but fixable. The brake fluid resivor still had brake fluid in it after 40 odd years and The bracket still is completely green paint, nothing left of what it’s attached to. I’m surprised it didn’t leak much/at all.

The lazy “s” on the right side is pristine. On the left it needs a bit of repair sadly. The inner cap needs a little repair also.

I will keep thinking about possible fender well liner materials.
Here are pictures for the wheel wells, I might redo the one part welded in. Please don’t judge too hard,it’s ugly, strong, but ugly Crying or Very sad

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
The 1/4" Bake-Lite spacers are necessary to keep from overheating the carburetors/gasoline!

Mike, he's planning on running FI, so he'll need new bake light pieces with the gaskets on them, to help make sure the intake runners are at the correct height.

Just so you know, the top part of the rust hole on the crash box is supposed to be there. It's for setting on a jig when being built (locating hole). Yeah, those crash boxes trap a lot of crud, and cause the metal inside the "frunk" to rust away from the outside in. I know I've got some great pics of it in my Notch gallery, as my old 71 Notch had a lot of rust there (enough that I clipped it, and still had to patch it). Here's a prime example.

And here you can see thru from the right side, It was pretty rusty.

Or this one with the front clip cut off.

And joined together.

And here you can see what I mean about the inner wall being gone, but the crash box still being solid.

Like I said, when you do the "lazy S" repair you'll probably find yourself repairing inside it to have something solid to attach to. Just keep that in mind.
The engine looks good, and your making great progress on it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Mike, he's planning on running FI, so he'll need new bake light pieces with the gaskets on them, to help make sure the intake runners are at the correct height.

Just so you know, the top part of the rust hole on the crash box is supposed to be there. It's for setting on a jig when being built (locating hole). Yeah, those crash boxes trap a lot of crud, and cause the metal inside the "frunk" to rust away from the outside in. I know I've got some great pics of it in my Notch gallery, as my old 71 Notch had a lot of rust there (enough that I clipped it, and still had to patch it). Here's a prime example.

And here you can see thru from the right side, It was pretty rusty.

Or this one with the front clip cut off.

And joined together.

And here you can see what I mean about the inner wall being gone, but the crash box still being solid.

Like I said, when you do the "lazy S" repair you'll probably find yourself repairing inside it to have something solid to attach to. Just keep that in mind.
The engine looks good, and your making great progress on it.

First, where do you get the bake-a-lite spacers new?

Okay, that makes sense on that upper hole.

It looks like you Notchback had a gas heater at one point(?). This is a bit off topic but I’ve been thinking about possibly installing a gas heater. I would for sure use eberspacher if I did and not a perfection or South Wind, the South Winds I don’t like as much. Even though I do have a gas heater specially for a T3 but it’s a 6v, also, I just don’t think the South Winds are as safe. Yes, I know they can be dangerous, but they are usally fine if properly maintained. I have gotten one 6v eberspacher running from the 50’s I put in my bug, and 3 South Winds from the junkyard. Anyways, would it hurt the cars originality to install a correct eberspacher? If you can’t tell I have a gas heater fetish Laughing

On your Notchback, a while back I read through the thread, it looked really nice. The rust is bad, my bug (that I need to finish) was in similar shape. I decided I will never go to that extent again, it also had accident damage to add to the fun Laughing I think you had a bit more rust though.

I ordered a few parts yesterday, I need to order more still.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I got some engine tin repair done today. I repaired the air clean, YES THE AIR CLEANER! The mice made a nest behind the flap for it, perfect metal behind the flap, terrible in front of it. Before:

After

Not the prettiest but it will do.

Then the cylinder tins

Edit: the air cleaner is also paper thin sheet metal on the snout so that was nice. The was the majority of rust on the bottom with a few other hole.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:

First, where do you get the bake-a-lite spacers new?

Okay, that makes sense on that upper hole.

It looks like you Notchback had a gas heater at one point(?). This is a bit off topic but I’ve been thinking about possibly installing a gas heater. I would for sure use eberspacher if I did and not a perfection or South Wind, the South Winds I don’t like as much. Even though I do have a gas heater specially for a T3 but it’s a 6v, also, I just don’t think the South Winds are as safe. Yes, I know they can be dangerous, but they are usally fine if properly maintained. I have gotten one 6v eberspacher running from the 50’s I put in my bug, and 3 South Winds from the junkyard. Anyways, would it hurt the cars originality to install a correct eberspacher? If you can’t tell I have a gas heater fetish Laughing

On your Notchback, a while back I read through the thread, it looked really nice. The rust is bad, my bug (that I need to finish) was in similar shape. I decided I will never go to that extent again, it also had accident damage to add to the fun Laughing I think you had a bit more rust though.

I ordered a few parts yesterday, I need to order more still.

Yeah, that Notchback was probably the rustiest car I've ever done. I think I had 4 months of welding alone on it. And we cut up a Square to use as donor metal, and I think I used all of it and then some. It might have had a gas heater sometime in it's life, but was gone before I got it. And the replacement clip I used didn't have any extra holes that were cut into it (except where I cut in removing the rust).

As for gas heaters, contact Jason aka Notchboy, as he's our resident gas heater guy. If you want to put one in, go for it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Was it 4 straight months of welding or just weekends? Good work saving it Bobnotch! You said earlier you had some parts correct, if so I’m looking for the whole exhaust system, front engine tin, the fan belt cover, bake-a-lite fuel injector holders, a pedal assembly and bake-a-lite intake spacers. Over the weekend I got some more engine tin blasted and painted. I had to do some more rust repair. I masked off the labels for the air cleaner for blasting and painting. One I blasted off because there wasn’t much of it left due to rust but the other two were in good shape from being covered in oil. I found a pin hole in the bottom of the air cleaner, thankfully I found it because I probably would of filled it then wonder why there was a huge puddle of oil on the floor Laughing

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I got a bunch of engine tin on yesterday

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Was it 4 straight months of welding or just weekends? Good work saving it Bobnotch! You said earlier you had some parts correct, if so I’m looking for the whole exhaust system, front engine tin, the fan belt cover, bake-a-lite fuel injector holders, a pedal assembly and bake-a-lite intake spacers. Over the weekend I got some more engine tin blasted and painted. I had to do some more rust repair. I masked off the labels for the air cleaner for blasting and painting. One I blasted off because there wasn’t much of it left due to rust but the other two were in good shape from being covered in oil. I found a pin hole in the bottom of the air cleaner, thankfully I found it because I probably would of filled it then wonder why there was a huge puddle of oil on the floor Laughing

That was 4 months of 6 to 8 hours after work And on weekends (usually 12 to 14 hour days each). I took off 1 weekend to go up north for some small game hunting (I drank a lot of beer that week end). I started working on it after I came back from Idaho with it in June, and worked on it thru December. Thanksgiving I was painting part of it. Sue and I drove it out into the snow for Christmas pics. Cool

I might have the belt cover, and some good used FI spacer blocks (would need new paper gaskets, or a thin smear of silicone-per Ray) applied. I don't have much in regard for exhaust parts here, as they're currently being used. I do have a good air cleaner though. Like I said I might have some bits, but not much.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

That was 4 months of 6 to 8 hours after work And on weekends (usually 12 to 14 hour days each). I took off 1 weekend to go up north for some small game hunting (I drank a lot of beer that week end). I started working on it after I came back from Idaho with it in June, and worked on it thru December. Thanksgiving I was painting part of it. Sue and I drove it out into the snow for Christmas pics. Cool

I might have the belt cover, and some good used FI spacer blocks (would need new paper gaskets, or a thin smear of silicone-per Ray) applied. I don't have much in regard for exhaust parts here, as they're currently being used. I do have a good air cleaner though. Like I said I might have some bits, but not much.

Wow! That’s a lot of welding, nice work!

At this point, any parts are good! If there is a possibility of not having to pay shipping I would come get them.

Yesterday, I got the oil sump plated cleaned, put in the new filter and gaskets and fill the engine with oil. I also made an engine lid strap. If people are interested I can make some for people.

I also ruined the starter trying to test it out of the car, I will explain that later Brick wall
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

I didn't get muck work done this weekend. I got the carpet cleaned for the interior. It faded weirdedly, salt and pepper look in spots, black in spots

I got the fuel pump fixed. I tried Trams trick posted in the getting fuel injection going form of How to get your FI Type 3 running after it's been sitting to reverse the wires to the pump and run the crud out. Well it didn't work, so I decided to open it up.... It was so gummed up, it was like someone shoved clay into the pump, I guess is was 44 year old gas...

I took it all apart, and had to turn it a few revolutions to get it to free up enough to run. I cleaned it all

It runs good now, I also had to un-gum the pressure relief
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Keep in mind these pumps are 50 years old now, so you might want to get a spare. A large percentage of us are running the Airtex E2000 or the Precision brand 16020 pump from O'Reilly's.This is because we can get a replacement pump almost anywhere, and have a reliable fuel source for our engines (the fuel system depends on a constant pressure to allow the engine to run correctly). Just something to keep in mind.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

Okay, I will look into a new pump, it would be worth it. I got the flanges for the warm air mixers fixed tonight where the piece screws onto the car. I found I need to replace the return line. So, kinda stupid question but is there an “easy” way to re-run a new hard line through the tunnel? Or would it require hacking the tunnel apart and I don’t want to do that. I will post a picture of the work I got done later.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 1970 Elm Green Squareback (Joann) Reply with quote

There is no "easy" way to replace a line in the tunnel. This is mostly because of the limited maneuvering room inside it, along with the other items inside it, and that there are 3 mounting brackets (stand offs) that hold the line inside it. It can be done, but it won't be quick or easy. The big blue Bentley covers changing a fuel line, but it's for the smaller single line used on carbed type 3s, and is replaced like that of a bug.
On my rusty 71 Notch, I ran new lines underneath the car under the tunnel, along the edges of it. I used some Adel clamps to attach it to the bottom plate, and ran the lines in the trough that's there. I figured with as much rust as that car had, I felt that the lines inside the tunnel were probably rusted too, so I put them underneath the car. I felt this was as good of a solution as any, as it kept the lines out of the car itself, and if I ever needed to repair/replace a line I could easily access it/them. Also using new steel lines, keeps any rust out of the injectors.
Just a thought.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 32

Jump to: