Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18 Reply with quote

Hello friends,

The location and dates of this year's Syncro Safari have just been set.

We are very excited to announce our 2020 adventure:
Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020!

Here's some basic information below and in a few weeks more will be at: www.SyncroSafari.org

LOCATION: in and around Sequoia / Kings Canyon National Park in the southern Sierras

DATES: Sunday, July 12 to Saturday, July 18, 2020

WHO Can Attend: The adventure will be open only to Syncros and have a 10 Syncro limit.

CAMPING: We've made reservations for group camping at Crystal Springs campground, which will be our "Camp Syncro" base station for 6 nights. This is central to the park's attractions and our 4x4 trips.

4x4 TRIPS: Trips will be family-friendly 4-wheeling and not expected to bash your Syncro. We’ll expect to do 4-wheeling trips three times during the week, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This year's 4-wheeling level will be on the "mild" side, but part of one trail could be pretty challenging.

SCHEDULE:
7-12 Sunday – Arrive, greet friends, make camp.
7-13 Monday – 4x4 Syncro trip 1
7-14 Tuesday – Free recreation day – nothing yet planned
7-15 Wednesday - 4x4 Syncro trip 2
7-16 Thursday – Free recreation day – nothing yet planned
7-17 Friday - 4x4 Syncro trip 3
7-18 Saturday – Depart

COSTS:
The cost for camping and miscellaneous expenses is the only cost associated directly with the Syncro Safari event. This is not yet set, but probably around $120/Syncro

OTHER STUFF:
We are planning a Taco Night group meal, digital photo scavenger hunts, raffle prizes, and more. We'll include paved road visits to some of the park's largest trees, including the LARGEST TREE in the WORLD with other activities like hiking and horseback riding.

REGISTRATION: Registration is NOT yet open. We hope to announce a registration date in early February and open registration in late February.

Looking forward to a fun summer adventure!

Jim & Deanne
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18 Reply with quote

Hi all!

Registration for Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 will open:
Sunday, March 15th at 6:00 PM Pacific Time

There will be a 10 Syncro limit and only Syncros will be able to participate. The information above is still correct, but the cost is $125/Syncro.

See https://www.syncrosafari.org/sequoias-2020---overview.html
for additional details.

Sometimes Syncro Safari registration is full within minutes or an hour of the opening and sometimes it might take a week or more. There's just no tellin'. So, if you want to get a spot, note both the date and the time of registration opening.

Looking forward to seeing some of you in the Sequoias this summer!

Jim Davis
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18 Reply with quote

I've been to dozens of special 4x4 events with camping, dinners, events, etc. over the last 20 years but I've never seen fees over $40 or $50, and many are free. Why do you get that much money for attending? Just curious (and that price keeps me from going since I'd need that much just for gas!)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18 Reply with quote

Embarassed

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18 Reply with quote

From the registration page it says

SyncroSafari wrote:
Costs: The cost for Syncro Safari is for camping and miscellaneous expenses associated with the event. This year's cost is $125/Syncro. Additionally, the National Park charges 7-day admission at the entrance ($35), or you may purchase one of several types of National Park passes. Pass information here: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Early in this thread Jim says

SyncroHead wrote:
We've made reservations for group camping at Crystal Springs campground, which will be our "Camp Syncro" base station for 6 nights. This is central to the park's attractions and our 4x4 trips.

So, it seems that the cost per day is a little bit over 20$ (including camping) which seems very reasonable, I don't see a problem with it (and I very very much wish I could attend this event, but most likely won't due to work reasons)

newerwesty1987 wrote:
I've been to dozens of special 4x4 events with camping, dinners, events, etc. over the last 20 years but I've never seen fees over $40 or $50, and many are free. Why do you get that much money for attending? Just curious (and that price keeps me from going since I'd need that much just for gas!)

SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18 Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:

Thanks for asking. Actually, there's very few week-long event to compare to and the price is per vehicle, while some events charge per person. Campsites in National Parks are not cheap. When I select a location, I do shop for reasonably prices campsites as best I can. Since this is a family event, we do use a real campground with water and toilets instead of "stealth" or dry camping. Last year, using a New Mexico state park campground the cost was $105/vehicle.

Additional costs usually also include a supply of firewood among other things. When Syncro Safari events are held further away, I usually spend over $200 in gas getting there and back.

If one were to compare to the giant Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, the cost is $50/trail + camping. With three trails and six camping nights, this would amount to nearly $300.

Regards,
Jim Davis
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18 Reply with quote

Well I'm 3000 miles away. That's a bit too much of a detour. Sad
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Safari, Sequoias 2020 - July 12-18 Reply with quote

I go 2000 for Syncro Solstice....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

Join the Vanagon Rescue Squad on the VanAlert app.
http://vanalert.com/

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: