Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any experience with Sewfine curtains?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Any experience with Sewfine curtains? Reply with quote

I've been toying with the idea of updated curtains, just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them (the curtains, that is). I've heard great reviews about their other products - so it seems promising. Thanks.
jseehorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with Sewfine curtains? Reply with quote

I just got my new set of curtains for my 1983 Westie. I really like the look and feel of the "Premium Nylon Tweed" fabric. It is the most similar fabric they have to the original. I'm having a couple of issues during installation. I ordered the snapon slider window option but it came with the snaps in a bag and not attached to the curtain even though the catalog says "All sewfine curtain kits come with snaps already installed" I called and had a nice conversation with the president. She was helpful and sent me the special snap installation tools to crimp the snaps into the fabric. I think it may have been an oversight when they were publishing the catalog. So that looks like it won't be a big issue. The second issue so far is that when they say "the heavier tweed fabrics don't gather as tightly" they were not kidding. I can only pull back the curtain on the rod and lower cord enough to reveal about a third of the window when the curtains are open (remember it's a 1983 that does not have the track and sliders). It takes a fair amount of work to get them to slide back that far on the upper rod and lower cord. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this. I think I'll see if I can sew some kind of loops or hangers that will act as sliders and let the fabric gather around the rod and cord. I would not recommend the heavy tweed fabric for curtain rod installations even. It might be ok for newer vans with the hook and slider set up.

I also purchased a carpet for the van last year from them and found it took some of work to fit it into place but came out nice.

Last edited by jseehorn on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with Sewfine curtains? Reply with quote

I bought Sew Fine curtains about 3 years ago. I really like the fabric and had no installation problems. After 3 years the elastic embedded across the top of the windshield curtain and the bottom of the slider door curtain has become rather limp. I have to clip the curtain to the mirror or sun visor up front so it will stay up and the slider curtain fastening rings won't stay on the posts. I have not contacted them about this yet, so I don't know what their response will be. Other than the elastic, the construction and quality is good.
jseehorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with Sewfine curtains? Reply with quote

This is an update to the note above about having a hard time getting the curtains to gather. I found if I folded them in a z pattern to form pleats and clamped it that way over night they retained the form. Also I had to get metal curtain hangers for the top and threaded rings in the bottom. On the older vanagons curtain rods are used at the top and shock cords at the bottom and it will not gather without the relief of pleats.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with Sewfine curtains? Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: