Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical gifts from PO
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seattlebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Electrical gifts from PO Reply with quote

Had a fantastic weekend with my bug, got to tackle all the little things that have been on my to-do list but weren't major enough to worry about. However, I should have done this months ago.

My rear lights are finicky to say the least. The PO has the front lights on a toggle switch and separate to that, he had the rear lights on another toggle. That's fine, at least all 4 lights work (incl high beams). I checked the brake lights, only the rear drivers (RD) works....hmm. Sounds odd - maybe one of the filaments is gone or it needs cleaning up. Easy! Cleaned it up, still no brake light on the rear passenger (RP). So I swap bulbs over to try and pin point why it might not be working properly. Swapped bulbs had the same result as before. No RP brake light.

I had installed a new MC a while back going from a single to a dual, which meant I had to put in an extra switch and jump them. These have been connected and I took them off to tripple check they were good - so far so good on the MC brake switches (which are both new btw). This had me stumped for a while but it gets worse.....

The turn signal on the rear - have a similar issue, just a reverse symptom of the brake lights. The turn signal on RD does not work while the RP does work. Both front turn signals work 100%.

This would be a lot easier to diagnose if it wasn't for the PO who rewired the entire car with single color wire - so chasing wires around is a pain as is dealing with his fuse box junctions.

Any general ideas on where to start with these issues? I'm thinking it may be easier in the long run to just rewire the rear lights of the car myself, so I know what's going on. For now though, I just want to get to a point where those behind me can tell if I'm stopping or about to turn.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical gifts from PO Reply with quote

Start with cleaning all the grounds for the light assemblies, clean the contacts in the bulb holders, clean and tighten the wire terminal connections at the light assemblies, and let us know what year car is or what type/style of light assemblies we're working with.
seattlebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical gifts from PO Reply with quote

Hey Mukluk - I hit the contacts and bulbs with some sand paper to get some shiny bare metal contacting where it needs to. It was getting late, so I'll whip out the dremel tomorrow and give it a proper clean.

I'm currently working with a 1966 baja beetle, with no hazard light switch. It would appear as though I have the 'american style' rear light assembly. (https://www.jbugs.com/product/111945095N.html).

I haven't checked to see if the reverse light is working, but my gut is telling me - it probably isn't.

I'm going to grab a test light tomorrow and start trying to track down any bad grounds.

EDIT - scratch that, I don't believe I even have a reverse light with these lights. Going to add that to my list of things to install.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical gifts from PO Reply with quote

Any updates?
seattlebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical gifts from PO Reply with quote

Got the turn signals working, so thats a plus! Ordered a new tail light holder, as the passenger side one was just a little too finicky. When I grabbed my test light, and connected it to the brake light power wires (either of the two), it would dim the brake light once it was grounded to engine. It's been a nightmare!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical gifts from PO Reply with quote

I'm pretty certain that the ONLY difference between "American Style" and European Style" is that the Euros have amber turn indicator portion of the lens.

My '65 was delivered new in Germany and it's tail lights were exactly the same as all the US delivery Bug tail lights of that era that I've ever encountered, other than the amber turn lens.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: