Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil specifications for JX (1.6TD) motor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsvp
Samba Member

Location: Annapolis, MD(but usually travelin' somewhere else)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Oil specifications for JX (1.6TD) motor Reply with quote

I did a quick search and can’t find anything…

What did VW recommend for the turbo diesel 1.6 in terms of oil?

I have easy access to Rotella T4, which is what I’ve used on my CS 1.6na motors. Rotella T6 is also available, but it’s lower viscosity always concerned me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks all!
Steve
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oil specifications for JX (1.6TD)motor Reply with quote

rsvp wrote:

I have easy access to Rotella T4, which is what I’ve used on my CS 1.6na motors. Rotella T6 is also available, but it’s lower viscosity always concerned me.

I'm using the T6 right now because I drive mine in the winter. I'm sure someone will point out that it doesn't have VW505 approval but I, personally, am not overly concerned.

I am curious what you mean by the lower viscosity concerns you? They are both 40 weight at temp (in theory).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil specifications for JX (1.6TD)motor Reply with quote

The 5w vs. 15w is the cold viscosity. The viscosity at normal operating temperature is 40 for both. In fact due to the more consistent viscosity of the 5W-40, in the hotter ranges of temp, it is likely that it has a higher viscosity which is when it matters most.

VW did not spec 505 for the JX. I forget the C rating but any oil that has a C rating will meet it. Make sure it has a C rating, though.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oil specifications for JX (1.6TD)motor Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

VW did not spec 505 for the JX. I forget the C rating but any oil that has a C rating will meet it. Make sure it has a C rating, though.

Interesting, I did not know this. I was going off a sticker found on my valve cover. Hard to see but it says 505. Where that sticker came from I have no idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsvp
Samba Member

Location: Annapolis, MD(but usually travelin' somewhere else)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oil specifications for JX (1.6TD)motor Reply with quote

The Rotella T65W 40 has a whole lot of meats API service codes… All of them prefaced by the letter “C”
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Oil specifications for JX (1.6TD)motor Reply with quote

I stand corrected. My recollection was faulty.
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Oil specifications for JX (1.6TD)motor Reply with quote

Ideally the JX should be run with a 15W40 Mineral oil with VW 50500 or 50501 specification.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: