Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hesitation and now no start
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

I just installed a new accelerator pump diaphragm because I had one lying around. I had thought that maybe if it was torn that it would impact acceleration. But there was no change.

One of the four screws was missing (the one under the arm). Would that cause a running problem (there is no fuel leaking)?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
The car now idles fine again, but still won't rev without breaking up, and the generator light is still on.

Some comments here.

Yes, the generator grounds via its contact with the stand, and through it being bolted to the engine case, and the case being bolted to the transaxle and the transaxle having a ground strap to the frame. And yes, that wire to the tin should have made zero difference.

The first thing to look at when having acceleration flat spots is the carburetor's Accelerator Pump. That's the brass tube that squirts extra fuel into the works every time the throttle arm is opened. If it does not, well it won't run very well. I remember one long road trip many years back, in which I had to stop two times and unclog the brass nozzle for this reason. And that was the easy fix, there are also two check balls in the carburetor body that are essential for the accelerator pump to function properly.

I had serviced the carb during this very long diagnostic process, and one of the things I did was to remove and inspect these check balls. I also cleaned them, as well as their passages.

One of the four screws in the accelerator pump diaphragm cover was missing (the one under the arm). Would that cause a running problem (there is no fuel leaking)?

Quote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take off the air cleaner, look at the discharge tube, and open the throttle lever, if you don't see fuel squirting out, that's your problem.

I just installed a new accelerator pump diaphragm because I had one lying around. I had thought that maybe if it was torn that it would impact acceleration. But there was no change.

I had checked the brass arm last weekend, and was getting spray. I had wanted to check to see if the accelerator pump diaphragm was torn (it wasn't), but I replaced the it anyway because I had a new one lying around, and just now got no spray, with the engine running or not.

I installed the diaphragm by opening the throttle all the way before tightening the screws so as not to tear the diaphragm when opening the throttle if I had tightened the screws without opening the throttle. I think I read that here.

Why am I not getting squirt? Everything went back in the way it came out.

Quote:
The 009 usually works pretty good with single port engines. At one point Bosch even listed the 009 as only suitable to replace vacuum-only distributors, the kinds found on single port engines in the 60s.

At this point I will look into swapping the distributors after I get the accel pump squirting again. And if that's the problem, then swapping the distributors will be moot.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

The accelerator pump will only work if everything is clear. I alluded to this above when I mentioned the times I had gunk get into the brass nozzle, but the rest of the system still worked. The function of those two steel balls held captive inside the body of the carburetor are what makes the pump work. The smaller, upper one is closed by gravity and also by suction of the diaphragm, allowing fuel to be drawn in past the bottom ball when the throttle lever is released. When the throttle lever is opened, pressure generated by the diaphragm closes the larger bottom check ball, opens the top one and fuel gets sent to the brass tube.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

Okay, then I will remove and blow out the brass nozzle first.

When I had recently serviced the carb I went as far as removing the check balls, cleaning the passages with carb spray, and reinstalling the balls.

I find it amazingly coincidental that the brass spray arm should get clogged immediately after changing the accel pump diaphragm, but this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688175&highlight=accelerator+pump+diaphragm

explains how today's rebuild parts could be enough off, dimensionally, to make them unusable.

And I suspect that I should go through the fuel system in a downstream direction beginning with the float bowl.

And because I still need some specs regarding the float bowl fuel level height, I will include here the post I had been working on this morning:

I figure, at this point, to go though the fuel system again, but this time moving downstream instead of jumping all over the place. At this point, I have gone as far as the fuel pump, where everything is up to spec. So now I am back at the carburetor.

The next stop on the Fuel Train journey is the float bowl.

I have just been through the chapters on Fuel System, Lubrication and Maintenance, and Technical Data in the Bentley manual, looking for the float height specs, which I have not been able to find here at the samba either (I'm sure they're here somewhere). I've read 12mm, 19mm, and no specifics about whether the float is installed or removed when taking the measurement. I'd like to get that part sorted for sure before I go any further with anything else, float height being so critical.

What I need to know, for the Solex 28PICT/28PICT-1:

What is the distance from the lip of the float bowl to the top of the fuel in the float bowl, or this even the correct way to make this measurement?

Is the float in place or removed when taking this measurement?

Once I know that the float bowl fuel level is correct, I can then move downstream, because what I have already done, listed below, won't matter until I know that the float level is correct.

I just replaced my accelerator pump diaphragm and now get no squirt from the brass arm in the barrel, whereas before I replaced the diaphragm, I did get squirt. This, in itself, is a problem, and needs correcting, regardless of the float bowl setting.

I have also used new gaskets in between the top and bottom of the carb, and under the carb where it meets the intake manifold. I now don't know how any of these gaskets, except probably the carb-to-manifold gasket, have upset the delicate balance of fuel delivery.

I have come to this realization after reading this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688175&highlight=accelerator+pump+diaphragm

I hadn't realized the extent of incorrectness of today's rebuild parts until reading that thread.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

I took the car around the neighborhood and the idle is stable and the stumble is gone. At least for today.

On Andy's advice, I removed the brass arm and blew it out with carb cleaner. I was able to increase the flow as I continued to blow cleaner through it. So yes it was clogged.

While I was in there I removed the 'air correction jet with emulsion tube' (#10, p. K-1, K-1A, Bentley book), and blew carb cleaner through it, as well as the passage it's screwed into. The lower two of the three sets of holes were quite clogged. Repeated sprayings, and then reaming with a straw whisk, freed them up so that with the bottom hole plugged, there was a visibly good flow from all six side holes.

Before I removed it I noticed that it wasn't quite seated. Also, it wouldn't come out easily with the screwdriver. After everything was clean it screwed back in much more easily and seated all the way.

It being clogged and not in all the way could very well have contributed to the problem.

I also removed the main jet holder and main jet, and cleaned those, as well.

Now I just have to get on the charging problem. There is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

The air correction jet won't really affect idle or low end transition, it really only come into play at higher RPMs.

Acceleration/transition is mostly influenced by the accelerator pump and yes, you do want it to flow freely.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The air correction jet won't really affect idle or low end transition, it really only come into play at higher RPMs.

Acceleration/transition is mostly influenced by the accelerator pump and yes, you do want it to flow freely.

I haven't gotten the car put on to the highway yet to test it, but thanks very much for the guidance on the accelerator pump spray arm. Around the neighborhood it ran fine.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

Glad you're making headway. A clogged accelerator pump jet would certainly contribute towards the problems you've been experiencing.

Just for your own interest you might enjoy this document if you've not seen it before -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/looklisten_11.php
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: hesitation and now no start Reply with quote

Well, it took long enough, but Ginger is now running, and running properly.

This, after the latest minor project of a partial generator service - new brushes and vreg.

No issues on the neighborhood test drive yesterday. Easy start, no missing, and no dash lights on after startup.

Next up is the installation of new heater cables.

I am happy, but guardedly so. haha
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: