Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield size? Convertible vs. Standard?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Windshield size? Convertible vs. Standard? Reply with quote

I'm working on *trying* to source an original or NOS windshield for my 67 Beetle Convertible, and it appears as though there are two parts 65-67 and 68-72, although places seem to sell them together as one.

I've had a few folks who tell me they have used windshields, but they are not positive it is for the right Beetle - so they ask me for the measurements to verify what they have.

Does anyone know or can find out the measurements for a 65-67 Beetle convertible windshield (at least to differentiate it from other windshields - especially the standard) - and how are they different than the non-convertible (which is sold the same from 65-77)?

By the way - if you have a used or NOS windshield for a 67 convertible Beetle, *please* let me know. I'm *very* interested!!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia

Last edited by harrymarlin on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield size? Convertible vs. Standard? Reply with quote

Convertible windshields are very different from Sedans.

You would want to source the size of a 1965-1972 Beetle Convertible and/or 71/72 Super Beetle

Fact.. the lower base of a convertible windshield where the corners are.. are the same as Sedan.
However.. Convertibles are wider up the pillars and the corners are tighter at the top corners..

As for windshield glass measurements (whether sedan or convertible)... simply measure the inside welded frame lip of the windshield frame as the size of the glass is very.. VERY close to that lip opening. (slightly larger)

The glass will not quite go through the opening if held at that position..

Sorry.. I don't have a 65-72 Convertible windshield to measure for you...

https://www.mtmfg.com/vw/937/Volkswagen-Beetle-Window-Glass-Windshields

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:34 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield size? Convertible vs. Standard? Reply with quote

Thanks, VOLKSWAGNUT! I'll measure those areas. Not that I would do this, but it sounds as though you could take a sedan windshield, and grind down the top part of it to fit a convertible?

From the parts guide I use, I see
151 845 101 A * Glass — Windshield (laminated) up to Chassis No. 1 600439 M 89: 151,152
151 845 101 B Glass — Windshield from Chassis No. 1 600 440 up to 6 502 399 151,152
151 845 101 D Glass — Windshield from Chassis No. 155 000 001 151.152
151 845 101 E * Glass — Windshield (laminated) from Chassis No. 155 000 001 up to 157 999 000 M 89: 151, 152
151 845 101 F * Windshield (laminated glass) from Chassis No. 158 000001 M 89: 151, 152
151 845 101 H * Glass — Windshield (laminated) from Chassis No. 1 600 440 up to 6 502 399 M 89:151.152

Any idea on the difference from E and F (I also find it interesting there is no C or G)? It seems as though those are usually sold together.

Once I make the measurements, I'll post them here, just in case someone in the future is interested. Thanks, again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield size? Convertible vs. Standard? Reply with quote

Below is a measurement of the dimensions of the windshield frame for my 67 Beetle convertible. Are these in line with expectations (to make sure they were measured correctly)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm working on finding the glass (the paint shop has it).
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield size? Convertible vs. Standard? Reply with quote

I'd say your measurements will get you very close to comparing for your glass search. As long as those are the inner most welded edge lip measurements. If so.. you can add approx. 1/4 to those measurements.. meaning the glass will be about 1/8 diameter larger than the pinch weld lip edge.

I cant explain the gaps in suffix or..the differences between the E and F other than....many US safety regulations went into effect in 68...maybe it was a change in glass thickness or lamination . Pure speculation .

M89 denotes laminated glass

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest1.php

As for grinding down a sedan...I dont think that would work...the convertible glass is broader up the a pillars and the corners are tighter especially at the top than a sedan... (had to edit my prior reply due to mistyped information)

Example...a sedan winshield s about 37 1/2 inches across at 3 inches down from the top..and 41 1/4 across at 3 inches up from the bottom...
Note the sedan measures 14 3/4 tall in the center

The angle up the a pillars on convertibles is much more vertical and straighter when viewed from the front.

Ever notice how a convertible looks more...square Wink

Literally the only thing that is the same is the lower base of the windshield...again...just to emphasize ...the glass rounded corners and a pillar angles are much different when comparing the sedan and convertibles . Hence the whole all convertibles ...started life as a sedan base idea

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448449&highlight=karmann

And....to note...I've recently had 3 Sedan windshields broken...cutting them down for a certain chop top Volksrod I built and own.

Apparently ...not an easy task... Mad ...even for a glass pro. Rolling Eyes

Im cutting the next one myself.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield size? Convertible vs. Standard? Reply with quote

I was able to locate an original windshield not far away from me on the East coast (East of Baltimore). It's dirty and has some delamination on the top (under the seal). Notice it's most likely post 67 model year original, as it has a DOT number, and DOT didn't stand up until April of 1967.

Thanks for all of the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: