Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to solder jumper wire on blue foil (instrument cluster)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to solder jumper wire on blue foil (instrument cluster) Reply with quote

I had good success using the “Cold Heat” soldering device. It heats the metal you are soldering with two electrodes. But be quick or it will melt the acetate substrate.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to solder jumper wire on blue foil (instrument cluster) Reply with quote

My clock bulb is unable to get light. I've checked all the contacts - and it looks like the ground for that connection is not connected. I can't find a break in the line.

I was thinking of trying to add a ground to this - but don't know if it is possible. Anyone try that?

Would I use one of those cold solder tools?Or is there an alternate way to add a light here?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to solder jumper wire on blue foil (instrument cluster) Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
My Tach side bulb foil has fallen apart and I could not repair it. So this was my fix;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I purchased a T1-3/4 Wedge Base Socket - Wired 74 Socket from super bright Led"s and it screws into the housing perfectly.

I had too modify the bulb housing to allow the longer Led to clear to be able to screw it in.
Also these bulbs do not snap into the pigtail very well so I applied a dab or two of super glue.

I tapped into the Blue/Grey and brown wires of the rear defrost plug to get power too the bulb.

Gives you an idea of the brightness between the bulbs, the Red has twice as much lumens as the blue.

I just swapped my Blue bulb for the same one that GoWesty uses in their kit for their instrument wires. This bulb will fit better than the bulb that I was using and is a lot brighter as well.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature.../228/1069/
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to solder jumper wire on blue foil (instrument cluster) Reply with quote

Cool- nice tip.

Do those LED's dim?

The PO put green leds over the tach and speedo - when I ordered more, I ordered white - I like the green better - a little easier on the eyes. So I'm going to get a green one for the center - then make up something like you did for behind the clock.

I see this on amazon -shorturl.at/IO345

Thanks.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: How to solder jumper wire on blue foil (instrument cluster) Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:

Do those LED's dim?

Yes, somewhat.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to solder jumper wire on blue foil (instrument cluster) Reply with quote

thanks for the tip.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: