Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle locked up
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

I was warming up my bus last week in the driveway and when I came out it had stalled. Not unusual it was a cold morning so I hopped in and turned the key- whole bus lurched like it was in gear. Bus was in neutral but the motor still wouldn't turn. I was able to start it if I engaged the clutch.

So, I pulled the motor and checked the couplings. couplings are fine .

I cant turn the input shaft in the bellhousing. In any gear.

Any ideas?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

I am afraid this sounds like a bearing of the input shaft froze up.

Most likely it is PN 113 309 123 A

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

i don't think Sean has any busses with crashbox/splitcase transmissions, but i could be wrong?

anyway Sean, if it's in gear (also presuming it is parked with the e-brake on), and you try to turn the input shaft, i don't think it would turn because it is in gear and you're fighting against the braking force and trying to push the bus forward at the same time.

you mentioned that you "cant turn the input shaft in the bellhousing. In any gear." are you able to turn the inupt shaft when the trans is in neutral?

i'd start by putting it up on jackstands, releasing the e-brake, then trying to turn the input shaft and/or the wheels while both in gear and in neutral, then report back.
if that doesn't yield any results or confirms it being locked up, drain the gear oil and see if any chunks come out.

have you noticed any noises at start-up, squealing like a bearing isn't getting oil for a few seconds? if so, then, as mentioned, the front mainshaft bearing could be a possible issue.
any weird shifting issues, clunks, grinding sounds, other trans noises or problems recently?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
i don't think Sean has any busses with crashbox/splitcase transmissions, but i could be wrong?

anyway Sean, if it's in gear (also presuming it is parked with the e-brake on), and you try to turn the input shaft, i don't think it would turn because it is in gear and you're fighting against the braking force and trying to push the bus forward at the same time.

you mentioned that you "cant turn the input shaft in the bellhousing. In any gear." are you able to turn the inupt shaft when the trans is in neutral?

i'd start by putting it up on jackstands, releasing the e-brake, then trying to turn the input shaft and/or the wheels while both in gear and in neutral, then report back.
if that doesn't yield any results or confirms it being locked up, drain the gear oil and see if any chunks come out.

have you noticed any noises at start-up, squealing like a bearing isn't getting oil for a few seconds? if so, then, as mentioned, the front mainshaft bearing could be a possible issue.
any weird shifting issues, clunks, grinding sounds, other trans noises or problems recently?

No crashbox here.

I believe its in "neutral" . I had started warming it up in neutral and that's when it locked up. The shifter says its in neutral as well and I cannot turn the shaft.

it has made a clack, clack, clack sound on accelerating when its cold but I thought that could have been the motor- like a cam gear getting loose or something.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

does it shift through the gears? I have had a transmission stuck in two gears at the same time, but that certainly didn't happen on its own, it happened when a shift went wrong with sloppy tolerances inside the nose cone.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

Once I did a brake job, put the vw back on the ground and it did this exact thing. Spider gears. They had already busted and it was "convenient" that it let me know while already in the garage...
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
does it shift through the gears? I have had a transmission stuck in two gears at the same time, but that certainly didn't happen on its own, it happened when a shift went wrong with sloppy tolerances inside the nose cone.

It shifts through the gears from inside the cab but it stays locked.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Once I did a brake job, put the vw back on the ground and it did this exact thing. Spider gears. They had already busted and it was "convenient" that it let me know while already in the garage...

I am glad it happened in my driveway and not taking my daughter to school that morning.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

Besides the input and counter shaft bearings that transmission has four needle bearings inside the four gears that always are spinning when engine is running in neutral clutch released. Most have steel cages between the needle bearings ,but the newer ones have plastic and when they are run dry the plastic melts the needles go sideways and lock the gear to the shaft. Usualy its the fourth gear because it spins the fastest in neutral.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

Sorry Sean sounds like your tranny is coming out for rebuild.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
Sorry Sean sounds like your tranny is coming out for rebuild.

Yep. Will be calling rancho soon. Luckily I think its still under warranty.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle locked up Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but isn't this virtually the same scenario which destroys motors and transaxles when flat towing which some claim is impossible to occur?

And this happened while parked.

Sorry for your loss.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: