Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix that Poptop push bar!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

would love to hear feedback on the ball bearing solution from a customer...

I like the washer solution, but that ball bearing one sounds very like german over engineering...I like it. Wink

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

So I got my packet. The packaging was perfect and the hardware looks nice quality.

I did not start earlier on this because I got busy with a coolant leak that is now fixed that took me quite some times.

Me and a friend (bless his soul) started the project and hit two glitches.

Small return of experience so far.
1) Lift the poptop a little before trying to remove the caps/rivets that holds the mechanism. You will have a better access. At the end that was not too hard.
2) Removing the pin on the un-dammaged side was easy but on the other side that was a pain the but because it was not straight anymore. A little grease goes a long way.
3) The spring mechanism is not as scary as I thought. If you are careful and do one at a time it is fine.
4) Note that not all pushbar are serviceable. Mine was bore all the way living a couple of mm left. I am lucky it did not break on me early to create more catastrophic problem. We had to break it because we could not get it out. We use a painter knife to make the cut and it broke clean off.
5) Cutting the hole for the bearing. Relatively easy with a hacksaw.
6) Getting the metal piece nice and snug is hard. I need to get a better way to grind some of the welding.

I need some help to source a pushbar. A quick google search as not lead to a good result yet. Any idea of someone who has one in the USofA ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see how misaligned the whole mechanism is...

I have a water infiltration that need some attending. Is syslicon a solution here. or do i need to some reinforcement?

It does not want to come out.

Clean break

The other part ...

Dremel is good but not powerful enough to make the cut
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

So far I found this reseller in Germany https://www.werk-4.com/vw-t3-westfalia/querstange-t3/#cc-m-product-10189995352 at this point I should have gotten a fully new mechanism from them... I would have been simpler.

Bus depot as one but only for T2 I think https://www.busdepot.com/231070715 ... I will keep on searching
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

koubiak wrote:

Dremel is good but not powerful enough to make the cut

Drill lots of little holes in a circle.
Then cut the little webs with the dremel.
Then break it out.
Then a round file to make your circle.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

So here's some images showing wear after a fair amount of use over the last 10 years or so.

I knew the copper "everyman" fix was not a great idea, and it shows, Wink but aside from me ending up making one cable a bit longer than the other, I think my cable design has held up quite well. No fraying that I can see. Not sure why a strut arm is bent. Not sure I'll straighten it either; tent is a German "tight fit" type. I plan to weld in pipe in lieu of copper so hopefully any dimensional changes won't cause the tent to tear or seams to start pulling too hard.

Enjoy the carnage and good times.

Neil.

Driver side? Wear is obvious. The copper piece, as anticipated, spun in hole. I put slugs of bolt in each end of push bar so it would've taken years of use for wear to actually become an issue.

passenger side? It held up quite well. Epoxy was still holding copper in place.

Looking again, maybe the copper was rotating at both joints
< shrugs >

No fraying. Drilled those by hand!

As I posted before, these were swaged on by marine shop

no fraying, holding up great. IIRC, I used a proper swage tool at marine shop to install the crimped piece.

These holes in each arm appear ovalled to my eye. Theory: lateral play and or tendency for one arm to get pushed forward sooner than the other, allowed push bar to hog them oval.

driver side bar is bent. I'm right handed so I don't think I did that. LOL.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

OK. I am in touch with Buslab in berkeley to find a replacement.

The bar is steel. What the return on https://www.gowesty.com/product/paint-prep-/24424/interior-paint- color match for that?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

So I got it done.

I used the "iron pipe" method to bolster the upper arm where it rides on push bar. There was appreciable play between the bar and new pipe bits so I ran a few beads of weld along each end of the push bar to take up the play. This worked, until I tried to install the push bar through the hole shown below. Oops. Wink

So that was a WOT.

By the time the top is pushed up, any small amount of play between push bar and bearing surface is pretty moot.

Since my then new "tight fit German" tent was installed after the first push bar repair, it didn't feel like this second repair added stress to the tent. i.e. it didn't raise the top any more. I have to wonder how that would've worked if I'd installed that new tent to a pop top with a really worn push bar, then repaired the bar.

As a warning to any other amateur weldors like me, AFAIK, the push bar material is plated possibly with zinc. Smoke from that stuff is harmful to breath so when welding, don't huff it in.

As an alternative to the big washer method, I found it took little time with a file to enlarge ID of m18 washers. I'd thought to weld a pair to each side of push bar bearing surface.

Neil.

Vanagon Nut wrote:

These holes in each arm appear ovalled to my eye. Theory: lateral play and or tendency for one arm to get pushed forward sooner than the other, allowed push bar to hog them oval.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Cut off both ends of ours and inserted a steel rod and then redrilled the hole. then, tack welded in a set of needle bearings that fit into the hold. Smooth now.
[/img]
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Andymon wrote:
Cut off both ends of ours and inserted a steel rod and then redrilled the hole. then, tack welded in a set of needle bearings that fit into the hold. Smooth now.

Nice! Speaking of welding.....

In hindsight, I should've ground down past plating on parent metal (strut arm metal) before welding. But, I wire wheeled those surfaces, preheated work, (working outside) set MIG to highest heat so penetration should be ok.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
My fix was simple enough - just a some short lengths sawed off of a steel pipe and welded to each side of the original opening.

A bearing sounds nice but may be overkill - all this is doing is creating a larger bearing surface to reduce wear.

I like your solution.. simple enough for me. Thanks for sharing.
What pipe size?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
...What pipe size?

I do not recall. Looks like ¾" in that photo. Anyway, the ID of the iron pipe should be the same as the OD of the push bar.
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

I got the bar (that I painted brown) and finished installing it today. It feels a lot more robust than before. Super happy to have fixed that one!
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Not having a welder, I came up with another fix for this problem. I do have a good assortment of woodworking tools and have always wanted to work with Delrin, so decided to see if that would work. Will Delrin last as well as the werk-4.com ball bearings repair? Of course not. The werk-4.com solution should last forever. But in reality neither me nor my van will last forever.

The Delrin I used is 3/8" thick, so it has a much larger surface contact area than the original steel cross piece that the lift bar rotates against. In addition, I got Delrin with PTFE filler ($$$), so there should be considerably less friction and wear than unlubricated steel against steel. Hopefully this will give a useful extended life to the lift bar. I hope someone more familiar with the properties of Delrin will comment on the use of this material.

One end of my lift bar had a ridge on the inside under the wear groove. It was just about to perforate and accelerate the rate of wear considerably.

I got a 6" X 6" X 3/8" sheet of PTFE filled Delrin from McMaster-Carr. Before cutting it, I made a wood template of the inside of the crossbar joint. Note the brown Sharpie marks on the cross bar. That's the only section that the cross bar rubs against, thus the only section where you really need something for the bar to push against. Maybe someone can come up with an idea for using this in their own repair.

Using a top bearing flush trim router bit, I cut the rough cut Delrin insert to final shape.

I mounted the Delrin in the joint and bolted it in with garage door bolts. Then I drilled a hole in the center slightly smaller than the cross bar hole using a Forstner bit.

I used the same flush trim router bit to cut the center hole to final size. I thought about how to cut the hole in the Delrin slightly smaller than the hole in the joint cross piece to reduce steel again steel wear, but realized I already have a conveniently placed groove in the cross bar to eliminate contact!

Here's the finished job. If you look carefully, you'll see that the Delrin is not flush with the edge of the joint all the way around. That's not my poor workmanship. The cross bar was welded in cock-eyed. It's hard to believe that a German worker could walk away from such a sloppy job, but they did.

It's a real pleasure to open the top now. Nice and smooth.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

I like that solution, Nuthin'! It just so happens that I have some Delrin on hand here...

What did you use for lubrication?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Hey jake,

He used ptfe Delrin, no need for lube.
Even un modified Delrin wouldn't need lube, the Teflon additive though is a great idea.

Nice work.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Yup, this gets ALL my votes today... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Hey jake,

He used ptfe Delrin, no need for lube.
Even un modified Delrin wouldn't need lube, the Teflon additive though is a great idea.

Nice work.

Alistair

Right on. Plastic's not really my thing, its just useful for making fixtures. Cool

I could use Teflon spray lube?
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Hi jake,

I machine Delrin almost every week, and mostly for fixture type things. When I have made bearing type things what I noticed with Delrin is that it is great once moving but has an initial stiction.

But in this application that’s a moot point. I don’t think any lube needed, tri flow lube would be fine but I’d say not needed.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

Thanks, Alistair - its that initial reluctance I was thinking about.
www.thebassspa.com
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Poptop push bar! Reply with quote

I inspected my push bar, and there was no wear yet, however, while it was off, I added uhmw to both sides to increase the surface area and limit the chances of future failure.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: