Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 take 2
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Assemble the engine with the best parts you have on hand and get the experience for when you have time and money to build something more reliable. Engine building is not something you can just read about. There is a feel, that you need to acquire. Your assembled engine should get you down the road for a while. Short cuts don't translate into extended success.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
aplusbisme wrote:
I have not split the case on engine 1. Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated

post the photos of the hand planked rods, we are all on seat's edge waiting.

Indeed, with 'bated breath!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

I would pull the jugs and rods while you're in there. Check the rod bearings and bolts, and then run a hone through the cyls. Those heads look fine, but I'd probably pop the valves out and hand lap them for good measure.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Can’t find anything on samba about removing the valves and lapping. I’m at work so I haven’t looked in the Bentley yet. Hopefully there’s some info in there??? Saw some YouTube videos on lapping valves, reckon it’s all the same and specific to a Vanagon? Thanks for the recommendations. Still cleaning, cleaning, cleaning
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Is this clean enough? If not how to clean up better around valves? No pitting where o ring meets jug. If I don’t pull the jugs should I clean them at all? Specifically the outermost 1/4” where there is some carbon build up. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Hand lapping valves is a universal task, so just look for a generic YT vid. I guess I think of it as similar to honing the cylinders to take the glaze off. Pulling the valves also lets you examine the condition of the guides.

y u rune klassik?
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Cool. I’ll see if I can borrow valve spring compressor and start today. Thanks
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

Got some valves out. How do I check the valve guides or do I need the tool in the Bentley? Brought it to my motorcycle engine buddy and he thought it was good. What to check?

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

You put the valve into the guide most of the way and then rock it side to side. This should let you know if the guides are excessively worn. If you have a micrometer, you can also check the wear on the valve stems. Those two valve seats look pretty good to me, though the margins on the intake don't appear to be uniform around the seat.

y u rune klassik?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

OP, these are, like, just my opinions, man.

If I was in your shoes, I’d put that engine back together with a new gasket kit, and run it. So long as your compression and oil pressure #’s aren’t awful, drive it and save your money up.

By my math, the time vs money vs performance gains are off on doing a stock rebuild myself. Your math, of course, may be different.
aplusbisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 take 2 Reply with quote

That’s where I’m leaning but I figure no harm in cleaning it up while I’m in there. Thanks for the input!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: