Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Started restoration on my wife’s 69 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick. We’ve had the car for around 10 years. The PO had it restored in 1995 but the guy who did the work didn’t do a very good restoration. Instead of cutting out and replacing any rusted panels the guy did half ass repairs by backing the rusted panel with flashing and then put fiberglass & bondo over the rust. In some spots the bondo was almost a ¼” thick.

When we first got the car, I restored the interior and did some engine work but since the car looked pretty good from 5 ft away, and I was in the middle of building my 32 Ford, I put off restoring the body until now.

Before start of restoration
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just finished removing all the bondo and the top coat of paint. Car still needs to be sanded down to bare metal but since the sanding makes such a mess in the garage I removed the top coat of paint and in some cases got down to bare metal using a heat gun to soften the paint and then scraping it off with a wood chisel. Much better than trying to sand the bondo which just creates a white dust cloud in the garage.

Nose section rust

Nose view from inside wheel wells

Poor headlight repairs

Rear fender rust

Top coat of paint removed

Next will be to remove the car from the lift, pull it outside, and finish taking it down to bare metal. After that, it will be time to start cutting out and replacing the rusted areas. Fortunately the pan is in good shape and shouldn’t require any major work so I plan to leave the body on the pan while doing the work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

It looks stately in the first "before" photo. Do you plan to remove the glass and otherwise block the openings from within to shield the interior when it's ready for paint?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

It looks like quite the project!

Take lots of photos as you progress and show them off here.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
It looks stately in the first "before" photo. Do you plan to remove the glass and otherwise block the openings from within to shield the interior when it's ready for paint?

Plan is to take out as much of the interior (seats, door panels, etc.) as I can when it comes time to paint. Haven't decided yet about the glass although I'm likely to take it out. Main concern is if I remove the glass will the headliner get screwed up. Done it both ways (glass in and glass ot) in the past. When I left the glass in it worked out just fine but I was very careful taping things off.
I enjoy the actual spray painting process but not so much the taping off process.
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It looks like quite the project!

Take lots of photos as you progress and show them off here.

Dave

Yes I will be taking lots of pictures and posting many of them.
I'm a big believer in documenting everything. When I built my 32 Ford (started with a bare frame and took close to a thousand pictures) I found after disassembling the car to paint it I constantly referred back to the pictures to help remind me how I did something the 1st time.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Legacy wrote:
crocteau wrote:

Plan is to take out as much of the interior (seats, door panels, etc.) as I can when it comes time to paint. Haven't decided yet about the glass although I'm likely to take it out. Main concern is if I remove the glass will the headliner get screwed up. Done it both ways (glass in and glass ot) in the past. When I left the glass in it worked out just fine but I was very careful taping things off.
I enjoy the actual spray painting process but not so much the taping off process.

People replace broken windshields and/or rear windows, or swap out the old Cal-look style seals for the stock seals with trim, without the headliner getting messed up.

Taping off the headliner for interior painting shouldn't be that much more difficult than taping off around the windshield and rear window.

Now getting the windshield and reaar window installed back in after paint, ... now that could be a LOT more difficult, though! Wink

If you're not doing a color change, the windshield and rear window seals are still pliable and of the style you prefer, and you don't plan to compete at any Concours d'Elegance shows, then you may as well leave the glass in.

Just an opinion you didn't ask for from someone that has no actual experience with what I'm advising about.

Best of Luck to you with your Karmann Ghia project, and Thanks for taking the time to document and share the process with us here.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

This is why on the last Ghia I did I bought an original project car where you can see what you are getting. Its much easier to fix what hasn't been touched than to start like this. You have quite a project but you are doing it right and will have a nice car when finished. I would not think there are not many 69 AS cars around.
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
This is why on the last Ghia I did I bought an original project car where you can see what you are getting. Its much easier to fix what hasn't been touched than to start like this. You have quite a project but you are doing it right and will have a nice car when finished. I would not think there are not many 69 AS cars around.

I inspected the car before we bought it so i could see evidence of the half ass restoration including knowing about the extensive use of bondo (I checked the body panels with a magnet). We knew what we were getting but the price was really good and from 5 feet away the car looked good (see first picture I posted in the thread). I had planned on restoring it shortly after we got it but like I said in an earlier comment I was building a 32 Ford and didn't want to put that to the side. I did have to stop work on the 32 for a short while so I could restore the interior of the KG to make it acceptable as a weekend driver. You know what they say -- "Happy Wife, Happy Life".
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Dang!
I had to coax my wife into my Ghia with beer, music and a scenic drive.
It worked though. She thinks it’s fun now.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Legacy wrote:
crocteau wrote:

I just pulled out my windshield and rear glass. It took maybe ten minutes with a box cutter knife and a pair of vise grips to yank out the old rubber. It did not affect the headliner at all. Plus, if there are any holes or rust in the windshield frame you'll see it. Looks like a great project and I love the color.
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Legacy wrote:
crocteau wrote:

I just pulled out my windshield and rear glass. It took maybe ten minutes with a box cutter knife and a pair of vise grips to yank out the old rubber. It did not affect the headliner at all. Plus, if there are any holes or rust in the windshield frame you'll see it. Looks like a great project and I love the color.

Thanks for the comment regarding removal of the front and rear glass. My main concern was messing up the headliner when it came time to reinstall the glass.

The color of the car, as far as i can determine, is L62K Cypress Green. Plan is to keep it the original color except go two tone with an off white roof.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Legacy wrote:
Thanks for the comment regarding removal of the front and rear glass. My main concern was messing up the headliner when it came time to reinstall the glass.

The color of the car, as far as i can determine, is L62K Cypress Green. Plan is to keep it the original color except go two tone with an off white roof.

Yeah, that would definitely ruin your day! Having never installed a window before and only seeing youtube videos, it looks like a total pain in the neck.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

They go in easier than you think.
I put both of mine in with a small amount of help from my 105lb wife.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

This window rubber conversation inspired me to head over to the West Coast Metric site to check out the cost of window and body rubber.... sheesh, it really adds up!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

If the rubber seal is still good, you can remove the glass without cutting it up. The rubber seal on my car was only 6 months old so I hated to destroy it. I was able to remove the windshield with the seal intact, by pushing on the center of the glass with my feet while a friend pulled the rubber down and pushed it under the metal lip of the frame. We started at the passenger top corner. Once we had about 8 inches of the seal pulled down, it started coming away on it's own with continued pressure.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

As usual, this ghia looked nice until removing the paint Embarassed looking forward to follow your progress!
Thanks for sharing!

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Finally finished taking the entire car down to bare metal. Used a combination of a DA sander, a 7” 3M stripping disc attached to my buffing machine, and a 4” stripping discs attached to my grinder. The positive aspect of the stripping disc is that it is much faster than the DA sander. The negative aspect of the stripping disc is I can’t hook up a vacuum like I can to the DA sander, so the stripping disc makes a cloud of dust. That is why whenever I was removing the paint from the car, I put it outside. Even would position a box fan blowing on my back to keep as much of the dust off me as possible. Its wintertime in MD so the fan just added to me feeling cold but being cold is better than having all the dust on me.

The car is back in the garage and on the lift. Now it is time to remove what I can from the interior (seats, door panels, carpet) and start cutting out all the rusted areas and weld in patch panels. Over the last couple of months, I’ve been accumulating repair panels for those sections I knew were bad. After getting the car down to bare metal I found some additional areas that need repair (not surprising). Most of the additional areas are relatively small and I should be able to fab up repair panels. I don’t consider myself as having metal working skills so it will be a learning process.

I should also mention that most of the patch panels I’ve accumulated were purchased from KGPR Airhead Parts. Jason at Airhead has been great to do business with and I certainly appreciate all his help and would recommend him to anyone needing parts.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Bro, you did a great job. What you have uncovered does not look as bad as many of us have seen or dealt with personally. Just look at all the work Antoine has had to do. You have a good base to start with, can't wait to see the progress.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Great work! How long would you say it took you to sand down the body? I got an astronomical quote for media blasting and I'm thinking I'd rather invest in a good sander and do it outside.
Legacy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia Auto Stick Restoration Reply with quote

Started cutting out some of the rusted areas and previous restoration bad repairs. Here are some examples of what I found.

What was cut out

What was found

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: