Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any 6V Wiring Experts?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Any 6V Wiring Experts? Reply with quote

I'm working on my 61 which is 6v. Got wipers to work (grounding issue), got one rear brake light to work, still trying to figure out why the other one isn't. I think grounding, but my question is on the turn signals.

I found instructions on how to test the switch. I am getting power to the 3 plug connector from the switch. I hit the left turn signal and put test light on the relevant connector and my light is blinking. I think hit the right turn signal and put test light on that connector, and it is a solid light. Not blinking. Any suggestions on why it is solid and not blinking?

Bob
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Any 6V Wiring Experts? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I'm working on my 61 which is 6v. Got wipers to work (grounding issue), got one rear brake light to work, still trying to figure out why the other one isn't. I think grounding, but my question is on the turn signals.

I found instructions on how to test the switch. I am getting power to the 3 plug connector from the switch. I hit the left turn signal and put test light on the relevant connector and my light is blinking. I think hit the right turn signal and put test light on that connector, and it is a solid light. Not blinking. Any suggestions on why it is solid and not blinking?

Bob

the switches can fail, and give low voltage across them. there may not be enough to activate the blinker can. try bypassing the switch with a jumper and see if it improves. alternately check for drops across the switch.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any 6V Wiring Experts? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Bob

the switches can fail, and give low voltage across them. there may not be enough to activate the blinker can. try bypassing the switch with a jumper and see if it improves. alternately check for drops across the switch.

Bug On!

I 100% agree with Bluebus' advice here.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V Wiring Experts? Reply with quote

I'm not sure where to jump it. I can tell you this. I am at the 3 pin plug behind the dash (in trunk). I am getting strong light from the power source. I am getting a strong light on the left blinker plug. I can also hear the blinker blinking. However, on the right plug that is has a steady light it is weak. The light is not as bright. I'm also having a problem with the brake light on that side too. It won't light up and when I ground out the casing whatever light is there dies.

Possibly a short in the turn signal switch on the steering column?

bluebus86 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Bob

Bug On!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V Wiring Experts? Reply with quote

refer to this diagram...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1961USA-T1.jpg

On three place plug....

1. black/red...... supply power from the brake light switch. remember the rear turn signals and brake light use the same filament, so the brake light signal is stopped (i.e. open circuit in the turn switch mechanism) for a given right or left brake light filament when ever the right or left signal is on.

2. black/green..... supply for right front turn signal bulb

3. black/white...supply for left front turn signal bulb.

On two place plug...

1. black/yellow ... supply for left side brake or left rear turn signal.

2. black/red... supply for right side brake or right rear turn signal

Sixth wire..

black/white/green... power supply from flasher can, this will pulse when enough power is flowing thru it to activate the flash can. flash rate is dependant on the load or current thru this wire, too little current and flash will cease.

so basically there are two input wires, the brake light switch supply, which will be a steady 6 volts when brakes are applied, ignition key on

and the flashing 6 volt supply.

the other four wires feed each of the four light filaments.

Since rear signals and brakes share a filament, the brake signal, a steady 6 volts must be interrupted by the turn switch, and the flashing power instead supplied to that filament when turn signals for that side are on. The non turn signal rear lamp will keep the steady 6 volt supply on as long as the brakes remain applied. For the side signaling a turn, when the turn signal is turned off, the turn switch then reaplies the steady 6 volts to both left and right brake ligths so long as the brakes are still applied.

so to bypass the turn signal switch, tap into the lone black/white/green wire and connect it to any of the other four filament wires, i.e. black/red right rear, black/yellow left rear, black/green right front, black/white, left front

when jumping the rear lights, besure to remove the bulb supply wires from the switch first! If you don't, and leave the bulb wires connected to the switch, with switch off, BOTH left and right rear bulbs will illuminate, even if you only send power to one of them, for they will be connected electrically to each other within the switch. you can break this connection also by turn the switch to the left or right signal position, this too will electrically seperate them. this is because the rear lights work together as a pair for brake lights, but only when the turn switch is off, switch to turn signal, and one rear side will be connected to the flasher can, ad the other rear side will be connected to the brake light switch.

also, be sure to clean the fuses for these lamps, polish the fuse tips, or get new fuses, polish up the spring clips and retension as needed by bending them. this can help funky flasers by reducing the voltage drop across the fuse. volt drops, or losses are caused by loose connections, dirty connections, broken wire strands etc...

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any 6V Wiring Experts? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I'm not sure where to jump it. I can tell you this. I am at the 3 pin plug behind the dash (in trunk). I am getting strong light from the power source. I am getting a strong light on the left blinker plug. I can also hear the blinker blinking. However, on the right plug that is has a steady light it is weak. The light is not as bright. I'm also having a problem with the brake light on that side too. It won't light up and when I ground out the casing whatever light is there dies.

Possibly a short in the turn signal switch on the steering column?

bluebus86 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Bob

Bug On!

Hook everything back up as stock, get a volt meter, and read the drop across each fuse, switch, etc with the signals on or brake light on as applicable
the drop across the switch (turn switch ) can be made for left brake, right brake, left signal, right signal.

to measure the drop of the brakes, place meter on black red wire on the 3 terminal plug while it is connected, this is the brake light supply wire that feeds the turn switch, which then feeds the brake lights. with other volt probe, place it on the black yellow wire, (2 terminal plug) and read the drop in volts. do like wise with the Black yellow (2 terminal plug) wire.

then let off the brake switch and move the volt probe from the black red 3 terminal wire which is the brake supply wire, and move it to the black/green/white wire whichnis the sixth wire, you may also pick this wire up at the flash can. then with blinkers on, read the volt drop again on each of the 2 terminal connector wire. this tike the voltage will pulse, so it maybe easier to read with an analog meter. you may also decide to test the flashing circuit of the turn switch by sending a 6 volt always on voltage thru the blincker wire rather than the pilse voltage, do this by disconnecting the Black/green/ white wire at the blinker can, and attach a hot 6 volt wire to that wire, this will then feed a steady 6 volts thru the turn circuit when you have the turn switch to left or right. this makes reading the voltage drop across the turn switch easy.

ideally you want zero voltage drop across the switch. if switch measures bad, like one side having a large drop verses the other side (i.e. left verses right turn ) then switch needs attention. if drop is low, then problem is elsewhere. there are connectors for the rear lights in the engine bay behind the firewall material,on the sides. you can measure across those connectors for drops too, if large, then connector need be cleaned. make sure bulb socket and bulb base are clean, ground is good at bulb, make sure bulb is not darkened with age, they get dim over time, also some bulbs are lower watts than others, check bulb part numbers. also check fuses, you can measure drop across fuses too, drop should be close to zero with the lights on, if not close to zero, then clean fuses, fuse holder, retension fuse clips, etc...

Bug On!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: