Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 13-Window in Iowa
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Just purchased my first '66 13 window today via an auction here in Iowa.
Fresh paint, orig. seats, headliner, engine, etc. but does need some TLC.
Ecstatic with my purchase and can't wait to get into the shop and start work on it
Looking forward to advise from my newly found board, packed with more information than I can fathom.
Jeff In Iowa

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Congrats! It looks pretty good
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

It looks great, especially for that part of the country. Any history on it?

Take and post some pics of the underneath, engine, etc etc. if you'd be so kind.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Congrats! I have a 66 too. I have less windows and trim Very Happy Nice score!
Curious what the OG color was?
Looking forward to your updates!
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm happy with the purchase. You just don't run across these at all in Iowa, unless they are made up of 90% rust.
It's getting delivered to us on Saturday.
Here are a few more photos.
Thanks again for allowing to share this info with you.
Jeff

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Bus get delivered tomorrow morning and no doubt spend the rest of the day investigating what I actually got for my $. I'll spend some time and decipher
the VIN tag.

Jeff
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
Congrats! I have a 66 too. I have less windows and trim Very Happy Nice score!
Curious what the OG color was?
Looking forward to your updates!

43 44 70 makes for titian red, beige gray, and mesh platinum / platinum silver upholstery.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

ManDrake

Excellent, you just saved me alot of time trying to decipher this ViN.

I did find out that 430 is a "North American Package"
025 is "Seat Belt Mount Sockets"
130 is "No sunroof or skylight windows"

Also discovered that the "UT" is "Shipped to Tourist Delivery Program"

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Bus was delivered this morning on a flat bed truck, sure glad I didn't use a trailer with our gravel roads like a skating rink along with hills.

Installed a new battery, 12V. I assume the previous owner converted it to 12 V even though one of the tail lights had a 6V bulb? Had to remove the tail light to exchange batteries. Has me a bit concerned using a 12V battery after I thought about it for a bit. I have no idea at this point even what to look for. Alternator/generator/regulator/condenser?

Well it turned over fine but with fresh fuel in the tank and the use of some starting fluid not a "pop" was heard from the engine wanting to start. Tomorrow I'll see if I'm even getting spark.
Regards
Jeff
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

I would peek at the top of the generator just in case.

There are a bunch of numbers on top near the fan shroud and it will say 7v (6-volt unit) or 14v (12-volt unit) on there.
If it's hard to see, get a little mirror.
If it's dirty, get some steel wool to scrub on it a little

Example

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:

Installed a new battery, 12V. I assume the previous owner converted it to 12 V even though one of the tail lights had a 6V bulb? Had to remove the tail light to exchange batteries. Has me a bit concerned using a 12V battery after I thought about it for a bit. I have no idea at this point even what to look for. Alternator/generator/regulator/condenser?

Regards
Jeff

pretty sure your heater element on the right hand side of your carb will say the voltage.
the generator maybe difficult to check. Check some other bulbs, but in general i would assume a 66 is 12volt.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Mandraks

Awesome, thanks. The heating element in fact is a 12 Volt.

Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I would peek at the top of the generator just in case.

There are a bunch of numbers on top near the fan shroud and it will say 7v (6-volt unit) or 14v (12-volt unit) on there.
If it's hard to see, get a little mirror.
If it's dirty, get some steel wool to scrub on it a little

Got the back of the Generator brushed off and will try to clean it up a bit more.
Difficult to see, but a mirror helps. I think I saw a 14 V, but I'll need to study it a bit more. Reading upside down numbers is not my forte. Thanks again
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Sometimes it’s easier to stick your phone in there and take a pic, rather than craning your neck.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

"If" some previous owner converted that '66 from 6 volt to 12 volt, you might want to check all the electrical consuming devices to be sure they have already been changed to 12 volt items (every light bulb everywhere on the Bus), horn, generator with (matching amperage) voltage regulator, under-dash light and emergency relays, starter and solenoid, etc. If it was me, I'd make a "buy list" of every bulb and get all brand new ones and keep the good used ones as back-up spares.

As for starting that engine up, move the Bus outside, get a fresh fire extinguisher or two and have 'em handy next to the engine compartment, and know how to use them. Hopefully you will never need to. Then check condition of your oil (is it super old and dirty or clean?) and proper oil level. The condition of your fuel pump (looks like a good German one!) is unknown and may not be pumping any or enough fuel up to the carb. Hopefully your ignition system (gets power, a properly timed distributor and properly gaped points, provides a good spark to the plugs, and good functioning spark plug wires) is ready and functional. Test by getting everything ready to start and then while someone else cranks the engine over, slowly pour about a teaspoon or so of fresh fuel down the neck of the carb. If it fires up and runs and then dies after consuming the fuel, your fuel pump might be bad (usually a stiff pump diaphragm, no worries - it can be rebuilt) or a fuel line may be clogged, or the tank may be clogged with sediment/gunk at it's outlet on the bottom of the tank. Carb might need a rebuild... A lotta maybe's. Have fun and good luck!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Sometimes it’s easier to stick your phone in there and take a pic, rather than craning your neck.

Excellent suggestions. Worked great and discovered it's 14V
Thanks
Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
"If" some previous owner converted that '66 from 6 volt to 12 volt, you might want to check all the electrical consuming devices to be sure they have already been changed to 12 volt items (every light bulb everywhere on the Bus), horn, generator with (matching amperage) voltage regulator, under-dash light and emergency relays, starter and solenoid, etc. If it was me, I'd make a "buy list" of every bulb and get all brand new ones and keep the good used ones as back-up spares.

Bill

Very useful information. So far I've discovered the generator is 14V and the heating element on the right side of the carb is 12V. From everything I've read VW didn't switch over to 12V until '67, but I guess there's always mid-year changes. But i'll start making my list of things to check. Can't see any numbers of the wiper motor yet.

Will definitely be pushing the bus outside to attempt starting it. Just discovered
I'm not getting any spark to the plugs. Carb cleaning and checking out the fuel pump is a great idea.

Thank you
Jeff
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

If you are handy and a bit mechanical, and have basic tools you can tune it up and perhaps rebuild the carb and fuel pump with rebuild kits from Wolfsburg West ( www.WolfsburgWest.com ). But there are a couple of guys here on TheSamba.com with very speciallized tools, parts and most importantly superior restoration skills who can restore your German carb and fuel pump and distributor to basically new condition for a fee of course. Take a stab at it if you are comfortable and then fall back on the experts if needed. Pretty soon that engine will be purring away in your driveway!

Check the transaxle too to be sure you have enough gear oil in your transaxle before you take off driving that Bus.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
If you are handy and a bit mechanical, and have basic tools you can tune it up and perhaps rebuild the carb and fuel pump with rebuild kits from Wolfsburg West ( www.WolfsburgWest.com ). But there are a couple of guys here on TheSamba.com with very speciallized tools, parts and most importantly superior restoration skills who can restore your German carb and fuel pump and distributor to basically new condition for a fee of course. Take a stab at it if you are comfortable and then fall back on the experts if needed. Pretty soon that engine will be purring away in your driveway!

Check the transaxle too to be sure you have enough gear oil in your transaxle before you take off driving that Bus.

Bill Bowman

Bill, I sure hope you're right about the "Purring"! Just wrapping up a complete tear down and restoration of a '48 Chevy 1/2 ton, so I am some what mechanically inclined. Right now I just want to get it running so
we can move it around if need be. Complete restoration will take place once
the truck is done (at least that's what I'm telling my very understanding wife). I'll go done thru your list of items to check out and have the fire extinguisher handy. No spark today, and tomorrow I'm going to run some more test with a long wire, alligator clips and a light bulb so as I crank it over I can test what;s going on. One man shop here and wife still works. In time I'm sure I can figure it all out.
thanks again
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: