Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westfalia-jx-1988
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Hi

Plan is to part out a 1988 syncro 1,6 td

What is a must have, what do I keep?

It's more a save parts for the future for others with a syncro, instead of seeing everything being crushed. Shocked

I have a 2wd 1,6td myself, so I see the value in that engine Smile

Thank you
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

If it has a locker, save it and any of the associated parts. Transmission would be good to pull and save as well.
SIDE note...if it does have a locker....and you want to sell it, LET me know. Very Happy

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Transmission, entire front cradle/suspension, front diff, driveshaft, VC, syncro gas tank and fuel filler, and the locking diff panel and associated vacuum assemblies. These parts are only getting more rare, so please either save them, or if it is beyond your capabilities to do so, pass the project on- many people want these parts! Best of luck!
Some people call him Maurice...
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Don’t forget the gauges cluster.. the Speedometer is what
You need. And all the front suspension.
Pics?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

What part of Europe are you in
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Transmission, entire front cradle/suspension, front diff, driveshaft, VC, syncro gas tank and fuel filler, and the locking diff panel and associated vacuum assemblies. These parts are only getting more rare, so please either save them, or if it is beyond your capabilities to do so, pass the project on- many people want these parts! Best of luck!

and there's one under chassis piece unique to a Syncro that should be cut out to go with all the above.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Get these too:

- Steering rack mounting assembly - a pain to cut out, but a conversion will need it.

- Syncro driveshaft protection bars AND cut out the mounting brackets from the body.

- Rear body area around the fuel filler. I cut out almost the whole corner of the van from the window down, but you probably won't need more than 200mm around the filler area in any direction.

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Define "Bad Shape"!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
westfalia-jx-1988
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

4mymalamute wrote:
If it has a locker, save it and any of the associated parts. Transmission would be good to pull and save as well.
SIDE note...if it does have a locker....and you want to sell it, LET me know. Very Happy

Hopefully it has Smile

ledogboy wrote:

Thank you Smile

Kombi///M3 wrote:
Don’t forget the gauges cluster.. the Speedometer is what
You need. And all the front suspension.
Pics?

I plan to see it and take photos next weekend.

levi wrote:
What part of Europe are you in

Norway

vanagonjr wrote:
ledogboy wrote:

and there's one under chassis piece unique to a Syncro that should be cut out to go with all the above.

What is that exactly?

SyncroHead wrote:
Get these too:

- Steering rack mounting assembly - a pain to cut out, but a conversion will need it.

- Syncro driveshaft protection bars AND cut out the mounting brackets from the body.

- Rear body area around the fuel filler. I cut out almost the whole corner of the van from the window down, but you probably won't need more than 200mm around the filler area in any direction.

Jim

Thanks for the reply Smile

Steve M. wrote:
Define "Bad Shape"!

I can't until I see it. Owner says it is total junk. I'ts been sitting outside for many years so I expect rust, but I hope the kids have not broken everything Shocked
westfalia-jx-1988
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Hi
So here is the pictures i promised.

What do you think? It's worse than I tought..

330 USD he wants for it.

If I can find and read the frame number it can be recycled, then I get the same amount back from the junkyard after i have picked the parts off it, so I guess its a no brainer. but where to put it? Laughing

Have a great day Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Define "Bad Shape"!

Hehe, I guess these photos do just that. Very Happy

Geez, are the Syncro bits salvageable?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Define "Bad Shape"!

Hehe, I guess these photos do just that. Very Happy

Geese, are the Syncro bits salvageable?

Okay, "Bad Shape" may have been an understatement...

What part of the seabed is it resting on? It certainly looks wet!

Without the windhield the water/ corrosion effets on the under dash electrics are not something I want to visualize.

The internals of the gearbox and front diff will be okay if they were not damaged before it was parked - the external housings will be corroded.
Why was it parked?

Still, without seeing it in person to really see it's metal I'm just quarterbacking from a recliner...but I'd swim away from it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Were the AstroTurf Captain's Chairs seat covers factory fitted, or an after-market job?
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

grab that syncro diesel fuel tank! That tank might not be rare where you are but we never got them over here so there is value there. It would be cool if the trans and front diff are there. If so it's worth the effort. Good luck!
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

Not sure if I should start a new post on this or not - but I have an '86 Syncro, and I'm replacing some parts on it. I don't know how rare/sought after certain parts are.

I know when I worked on my old '65 splittie - people seemed to want everything and anything if it was original, even if it was in bad shape.

I have some random stuff (ie skylight, speakers are two things off the top of my head) that I changed for new. I don't want any money for these things - but hate to throw them out if someone was a real vintage/original person and was into fixing old speakers, or wanted that authentic skylight - even if it had some crazing it it...etc. Aside from posting the individual items for free in the classifieds - is there an alternative?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

There is a thread.
Karma part it forward, or something along that line
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
There is a thread.
Karma part it forward, or something along that line

Yep. Post your spares here. If no one bites after a few weeks take it to the dump. I've made a few folks happy as pie and also dumpstered some junk with a clear conscience.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478468

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

thanks! Nice thread...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

At the very least get the syncro specific dash middle section (above from the shifter...)
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbled upon a syncro in bad shape, what parts to keep? Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
At the very least get the syncro specific dash middle section (above from the shifter...)

^^Already PM'd for that yesterday ... Wink

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: