Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 SB convertible windshield install problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unidenscan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: 1979 SB convertible windshield install problems Reply with quote

Hello all,

I’m trying to reinstall the windshield on my 79 SB vert. I’m having a hard time due the clip strips that are spot welded onto the mounting flange. Does anyone know if there is a windshield seal that is compatible with these clips?

Any other advice?

I prefer not to grind off the spot welds as it looks like both sides are welded, not sure how I can get to the welds behind the dash.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 SB convertible windshield install problems Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know that as well. I have a new seal I want to install for my front windshield.

What are the clip strips?
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 SB convertible windshield install problems Reply with quote

the "american style" moldings(the ones that used the chrome strips) sold by west coast metric used to be compatible with those extra pieces...but its been years since i bought one so not sure if they still are...the increased difficulty of dealing with those clips and the chrome strips during installation are the reason cal look became so popular...give them a call...curved shield supers are easier to break than regular bugs so you'd probably be better off removing the clips if you're doing this yourself and this is your first installation
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 SB convertible windshield install problems Reply with quote

Everyone I know that has changed the seal has removed the clips. I don't think they've made seals that fit over them in many years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 SB convertible windshield install problems Reply with quote

Take it to a glass shop and pay the $25 if they break it they replace it. If you think the front is bad the rear will freak you out as the top stretches as your helper pushes on it then it flies out just before it snaps in.
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 SB convertible windshield install problems Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Take it to a glass shop and pay the $25 if they break it they replace it. If you think the front is bad the rear will freak you out as the top stretches as your helper pushes on it then it flies out just before it snaps in.

Really doesn't matter who does the work. The replacement seals physically don't fit over the clips. You would just get an install that has the clips sticking out on the edge of the seal. Years ago I was successful getting one on and that's what I ended up with so I took it off and cut off the clips.
Not sure why they're all made that way. I guess they used the German spec to make them and I think only USA destination cars have the clips to meet US safety standards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 SB convertible windshield install problems Reply with quote

You have to remove the clips in the windshield seal track to get the windshield and seal to fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: