Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'66 13-Window in Iowa
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duhbrr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Lets see some pictures of the '48 as well!

pondoras box wrote:
We complain about people "flipping" cars on here but we have no problem hitting up Amazon or Walmart for flipping cheap foreign junk!
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

If you're not getting fire to the plugs then I'd suggest cleaning the contact points in the distributor. I've seen that many times a bug/bus that has sat for years will need just this simple thing done to get spark to the plugs.
Be sure to check for fuel leaks and oil level/condition. Fire extinguishers already mentioned. Good luck with your bus.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

69aircooled

Excellent idea, being that I'm not sure this bus has been sitting. I'll take a look at that this afternoon. I'm trying to rig up a test light that I can also see while cranking it over. Couple alligator clips, long wire and a 12v bulb in a socket should work. Fire extinguisher is ready.

Thanks again
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Well checked the points as as expected, pitted and rough. I've ordered a new set plus a new distributor cap and rotor. The condenser looked worn with a bare wire so that's on order also. My problem now is locating the square rubber grommet where the wires pass thru the distributor housing. It's a Bosch 009 disy by the way. I'll attach some pics of the part I need or an alternative that may work.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeff in Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Man, do I feel stupid. Just looked up the condenser I ordered and the darn grommet is all ready attached to the wires and ready to pop into place. Time for a beer and a nap.

Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Good morning

Still waiting for a few parts before I try to start my newly acquired bus.
I do have one question however, where in the world do they normally hide the fuel filter?

I did unhook the fuel line to the fuel pump. No gas was draining out so I gave it a blow and it flowed great, possibly debris in the fuel line or a blocked filter.

Thanks
Jeff
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Good morning

I do have one question however, where in the world do they normally hide the fuel filter?

I did unhook the fuel line to the fuel pump. No gas was draining out so I gave it a blow and it flowed great, possibly debris in the fuel line or a blocked filter.

Thanks
Jeff

If you’re looking to conceal it and out if the engine compartment, put it forward of the firewall above the transmission, where there is a section of soft line (driver side). I have no pictures to make this less confusing haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

I think the filter is above the fitting on the bottom of the fuel tank ,so you have to take the fuel fitting off and fish the filter out. You should check that the bare wire that grounds the plate that the points bolt to in the distributer is intact. After time they can break and cause the ignition to go all wonkey.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Good morning

Thanks
Jeff

There was no in-line filter normally.

There was a little sock filter in the tank outlet and a filter inside the fuel pump itself.

If you blew through the line there is probably junk in the tank that sank to the bottom and blocked the little filter sock there.

You should probably pull the tank to clean it out but you can start by removing the outlet on the bottom of the tank and checking the sock and see what comes out.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Excellent ideas everyone, thanks

Everett, great photos. This will help me a great deal. Thanks for taking the time to post these for me. I'll go crawl under the bus and see if I can find them.

Jeff in cold and chilly Iowa
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
69aircooled

I'm trying to rig up a test light that I can also see while cranking it over. Couple alligator clips, long wire and a 12v bulb in a socket should work. Fire extinguisher is ready.

Thanks again
Jeff

Just add a remote start button in the back and a toggle switch to the coil during the getting it to run testing. After it is running and starting easily then connect it to the vehicle harness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Quote:
Just add a remote start button in the back and a toggle switch to the coil during the getting it to run testing. After it is running and starting easily then connect it to the vehicle harness.

ToolBox

Awesome idea, wish I knew how to hook that up.

Thanks Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow, I think I have now a general idea where it is. But it's a PITA to actually see it without lifting it with a lift. It seems to be hidden right above the heat tube that runs aft.

Jeff
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
Quote:

Wow, I think I have now a general idea where it is. But it's a PITA to actually see it without lifting it with a lift. It seems to be hidden right above the heat tube that runs aft.

Jeff

Yep, welcome to Bus World.
Get a good beafy floor jack to lift it, so you can slide yourself under the bus, and a headlamp REALLY helps too.
It is probably a good time to replace all that fuel line......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
kirbyland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

you near Decorah? I know quite a few VW people there....
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Yep, welcome to Bus World.
Get a good beafy floor jack to lift it, so you can slide yourself under the bus, and a headlamp REALLY helps too.
It is probably a good time to replace all that fuel line......[/quote]

Tom

Thanks for the welcome. I was thinking of getting the bus up on some jack stands perhaps later this weekend. The fuel line looks great, but it wouldn't be that much to replace it. Thanks

Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

kirbyland wrote:
you near Decorah? I know quite a few VW people there....

Not close to Decorah, south of there near Iowa City. 2.5 hour drive north
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

New Points, Condenser, Coil, Distributor cap, Spark plugs installed and gaped properly installed. Installed the distributor back into the engine after finding TDC by using the straw method. Well, with the help of a squirt of some starter fluid I turned the key to start and it popped right off. However when I went to try it all again, I couldn't even get the engine to turn over. It seems to me that it seized up after all that work.

I pulled the spark plugs and squirted a fair amout of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) into each cylinder. I'll let this sit for a day or two and see if it helps.

I purchased this at a foreclosure of an auto business by a local bank, so I have no idea what the history of the vehicle is or when the last time it was started or turned over.

When I was locating TDC the engine turned fairly free. So it's hard telling what has happened now.

Got to love it.
Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

Well finally pulled the plugs again and drained the oil to see what the problem may be. Thought at first it was the starter stuck. I probed inside a couple cylinders and inside the oil pan/crank case and this is what I found.

In the third photo it appears that a ring slipped off. Not sure what I'm looking at in pictures 4 & 5. But it was taken thru cylinder four spark plug hole at the top of the piston.
#1 photo has me baffled and well as photo #2, looks like a chunk of metal has broken away.

If anyone else has an idea I'd be glad to hear from you

Jeff
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '66 13-Window in Iowa Reply with quote

What the HELL are we looking at here? are your cylinders half full of liquid? Petrol or oil? 1st and 2nd photos look like nothing I recognize.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: