Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

Hi friendly samba folks.
I don't have access to a set of westy hinges for my zwitterdach project, and they are proving quite hard to find. Therefore, I may have to fabricate a set.

Could a sambanista take a few minutes to measure one of their hinges so I can recreate the hinge geometry? (planning on using a westy tent for the project...)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thanks in advance!
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

Bringing back this topic - I am also in the same boat as the OP. I need a set of hinges for a personal project.

Does anyone have an extra set of hinges for sale or rent?

Or could provide the measurements above? That would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
Bringing back this topic - I am also in the same boat as the OP. I need a set of hinges for a personal project.

Does anyone have an extra set of hinges for sale or rent?

Or could provide the measurements above? That would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you

I just found my old templates I used to make the ones for the CHC roofs that lift up like the Westy roofs. I can post these up a little later.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

This is what I used. The skinny pieces were made to be put on a piece of 1.25 flat stock and I would center punch where the holes needed to be then drill the holes and round the ends. In making these, I just copied the dimensions of the Westy hinges and changed the mounting pieces to work with my roofs. The wider pieces where made to be set on a piece of 2" angle iron steel. Hope this helps

Does anyone know what type of a hinge this is called?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

Wow that is perfect! Thank you very much!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

your welcome. When assembling them we would use wavy washers between the pivoting parts and and bolt them up tight with a nylon locknut and then back the nut off about a 1/4 turn. They had a real nice feel. Im pretty sure there is a proper name for these hinges and if you can find out what it is you could probably find a formula for finding the dimensions.

Andrew-
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
your welcome. When assembling them we would use wavy washers between the pivoting parts and and bolt them up tight with a nylon locknut and then back the nut off about a 1/4 turn. They had a real nice feel. Im pretty sure there is a proper name for these hinges and if you can find out what it is you could probably find a formula for finding the dimensions.

Andrew-

Andrew - just a couple questions

Do you remember by any chance the width and thickness of each aluminum bar you used (I think they are aluminum?)

Also, just so I am not confused later - your hinge model was providing about the same opening height as the Westfalia roof? Or was it different? In other word, do you think I would be able to use a Westfalia poptop canvas with your version? I have no problem moving it forward or backward if needed.

Thank you!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Andrew-

Andrew - just a couple questions

Do you remember by any chance the width and thickness of each aluminum bar you used (I think they are aluminum?)

Also, just so I am not confused later - your hinge model was providing about the same opening height as the Westfalia roof? Or was it different? In other word, do you think I would be able to use a Westfalia poptop canvas with your version? I have no problem moving it forward or backward if needed.

Thank you!

I used 1.25" x .125" steel for all of the hinge arms and 2"x2"x.125" angle steel for the top and bottoms.
The CHC roofs are a little bit shorter than the Westy roofs, I actually did use the Westy canvas for my roofs, they just had a little slack at the low end toward the back of the van.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

I have a set of Hinges in the classifieds for sale.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy pop-top hinge reproduction dimensions? help Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I have a set of Hinges in the classifieds for sale.

Stacy

Thanks Stacy. I think I saw them for sale a few weeks ago but I could not find them anymore. The ad may have expired.

I am good for now, I got helped by another fellow member.

Thanks everyone - if I ever finalized this project, I will show you...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: