Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New tank & reseal - STILL LEAKS!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: New tank & reseal - STILL LEAKS! Reply with quote

^^^ This X2. I used no sealant but did lube the oil ring. It is not easy to get the sender fully twisted on if the o-ring is dry.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New tank & reseal - STILL LEAKS! Reply with quote

Glad to see this is helpful. Surprised I got so wordy on on the ops. FWIW, my gas tank is still leak-free.
cyclecast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New tank & reseal - STILL LEAKS! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I ran into the same exact problem. Pulled tank and found seals leaking, and original sender unit leaking and gouged by replacement tank. Replaced seals and waiting for new sender.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: New tank & reseal - STILL LEAKS! Reply with quote

I just installed a new spectra tank with all new seals, lines and sender. Upon starting the engine i hear air hiss somewhere around the tank but i cant pin point it. it hisses even after the van is stopped for a good 10-15 seconds. it appears as if the pressure inside the tank was escaping somewhere. I DO NOT SMELL ANY GAS. i can also fill the tank all the way without any leaks present. when i move any plugs and hoses, as far as i can reach through the wheel wells, the sounds does not increase, decrease nor change. i did not use any sealant for the install, but used a dab of white lithium on the fuel tank ramps, T's and hoses. tank ramps were bent slightly upwards at the leading edge prior to install. the sender did engage fully without any damage/scoring. again, no leaks/no gas smell. any ideas on how to diag this further without dropping the tank again?

Does anyone know if the pressure inside the tank is positive or negative when the engine/fuel pump is running? If the air is drawn into it then no wonder i smell nothing. I drove around in sharp circles with a full tank and smelled/spilled no fuel. logically the pressure should be positive as there would be no need for expansion tanks/carbon filter...

This is an 83 aircooled. New tank has the 11 mm pump output nipple.
cyclecast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: New tank & reseal - STILL LEAKS! Reply with quote

Gently filed the sharp edges and slightly bent the sender tabs up to match the new sender unit rails. Used some vaseline on the seal before seating new sender unit. Replaced all the other hoses/seals on tank and expansion tank also.

Worked like a charm. Not one single leak and no gas smell!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: New tank & reseal - STILL LEAKS! Reply with quote

Hi folks.

In terms of fitment to an aftermarket new fuel tank, is there a particular brand of level sender that one should avoid?

I may do a fuel tank reseal replacement on my 1988 Westy. I've only done one reseal (1981 westy) and recall that the fuel level sender was a tight fit but I must've gotten lucky; afaik, it does not leak.

I may re use the current sender but may purchase a new one just in case.

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: