Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1952 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

un fucking real. Very Happy

that sharpie method is cool.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

No kidding, beautiful.
Thanks again for sharing the bus and your process steps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Wow, that looks incredible! Does the Sharpie not stain the paint?
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!

squareweave wrote:
Wow, that looks incredible! Does the Sharpie not stain the paint?

No, the sharpie doesn't affect the paint. If any is left, it buffs right off or wipes off with thinner. I've only done this on catalyzed urethane though. I would think it'd be fine on any paint with a hardener. I'd be concerned using on a paint with no catalyst or hardener, maybe try it on a small area first.

The doors are all assembled and hung...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Ok Pal, you simply need to stop posting pictures of these insane details and level of restoration! OMG! Shocked

Just beautiful... Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

The needed parts for this bus never end... I've been talking to my friends Matt and Ed out in California about some things we still needed and recently got some stuff. Thanks Guys!

I've also been talking to my old friend Mark L about helping out with the headliner. Turned out he had some time to get to it sooner than later, so I needed to get ready for the install. I got the sunroof parts sorted out and off for blasting...

A couple pieces were powder coated and some were blasted and painted. I reassembled with a mix of reproduction and NOS parts...

The sunroof rails were pretty rough, but needed to be reused since they're the '52 and earlier type. They had some holes drilled in them from a snap top or something and I left them with Dan at Competition Engineering to have them welded up. With no time to leave them at the polisher, I sanded and polished them here and they came out okay...

So Mark's here and starting on the headliner. I guess he's got pretty good at these things and says he's using the correct material, but I'm not sure? I hope it turns out good...

marklapriore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Does that guy even know what he’s doing??! I heard he doesn't own a bus. I mean, c’mon...

Aren’t barndoor deluxe headliners super easy?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

I'm not an expert but his shirt looks like the more accurate headliner pattern.

Maybe he got confused and made a shirt instead of a headliner?

I think early 52 is when they went to 6 binder clips instead of 5 too, you better double check Progressive Refinements!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I'm not an expert but his shirt looks like the more accurate headliner pattern.

Maybe he got confused and made a shirt instead of a headliner?

I think early 52 is when they went to 6 binder clips instead of 5 too, you better double check Progressive Refinements!

that is how i like my BD deluxes: deluxe dash delete and horse blanket interior Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

I know that "smell my finger" game when I see it!

After watching him repeatedly sodomize Uso in Germany last Summer, I think I know the scent of that thumb.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Custom headliner huh?

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Just to piss off the casual observer... Wink
azmodela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

DSweinhagen wrote:

That's the Mexico delivery delivery bus, obviously. NOS upholstery reserves are not expected to run out until 2133.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Just saw the headliner pics in the gallery. Sexy AF!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Just saw the headliner pics in the gallery. Sexy AF!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSweinhagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Well, it turns out the above headliner we started on isn't the correct '52 material Surprised ... Which brings us to the question of barndoor headliner material. I'm going to start off by saying I don't know. And after years of looking at many original buses with many people, including Mark, I still don't think I'm any closer.

The problem is looking at these headliners that are fragile and sixty plus years old now. I'm aware there's clearly a pattern that can be seen on original buses, but I think what we see now is the backing after the fuzz has worn off. I've been around many of these buses and have been able to look under a door panel or something that has protected it and it's clearly fuzzy. And is there a difference between early and later barn doors? Probably. But I think it has to do more with the backing you see once the fuzz has worn off than how it would have appeared originally. My thoughts are that barndoor deluxe headliners , when new, appeared somewhat the same over the years, though material may have changed slightly depending on what was available. That said it's going to be impossible to get the material 100% correct. Since this is not a patina bus, we chose what we thought was best to move this bus forward as it would have looked new. As I said, I really don't know and I'm sure others have come to different conclusions and that's fine.

With that said, here's starting on the headliner...

Still a couple things to wrap up, but getting close here. Big thanks to Mark L for coming out and helping out on this bus!!

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Whether it is 100% correct I could not tell you but it does look amazing and it does look correct. Great job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rxBusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for all the pics and posts. This thread is going to be a great reference for me and I'm sure many other guys for years to come.
Its really cool to see this bus be built.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

I’m guessing that’s German wool Question
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1952 Deluxe Reply with quote

15 years ago I was sent a 50 vert headliner sample from the trim shop in Arizona. The sample was the same a my 52 deluxe barndoor and 50 vert.
The sample was a Geman wool and had no fuzz just a plan woven pattern.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: