Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS to Swing axle in a 69
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

Hey guys I just picked up a 69 and I'd like to switch to swing axle so I can run short axles. Can somebody point me in the right direction on what needs to be done to make the switch?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

AndrewS85 wrote:
Hey guys I just picked up a 69 and I'd like to switch to swing axle so I can run short axles. Can somebody point me in the right direction on what needs to be done to make the switch?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330991
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

You can narrow the IRS trailing arms & axles to retain the better suspension.

didget69 wrote:
sanders356 wrote:

1) The IRS suspension does not allow for wide wheels (6"+) to be fitted with out modifying the trailing arms, top shock tower mount themselves and/or the torsion tubes. Due to the expected power output i want to fit 17x6 fuch replica wheels but retain the original look of the IRS trailing arms.

I understand there are companies out there which modify your current trailing arms for a fee but i cannot help but feel they are structurally unsafe and less appealing.

Being a Mechanical Engineer i am in the process of designing myself new IRS trailing arms which are an 1" (25mm) shorter (width wise) which i shall get fabricated in the near future once i am happy with the final design. (I have also carried out stress calculations on the arms for my piece of mind). I bet the 'cut-n-shut' guys have not done that!!??

Can you think of anything that i might has missed before i commit to this path with the arms?

The Speedster guys have been using narrowed T1 IRS trailing arms for years, by cutting & recessing the bearing housing in the stock training arms, reducing width 1"-1.25" per side. No strength issues when reboxed & welding done properly.

https://www.speedsterowners.com/topic/finally-narrowed-trailing-arms-for-irs

bnc

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

Thanks guys but I'm not interested in narrowing my IRS, I'd like to just use a complete swing axle setup.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

A pan swap would accomplish what your trying to do.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
A pan swap would accomplish what your trying to do.

Yeah, but I was hoping to not have ti go that route.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

Grab a Bentley manual for early ('66 & older) Type 1 chassis, and compare pics to what you have on IRS car. The swap isn't hard or complicated, if you look at it... Lots of info available without asking if you use a Search feature.

bryan
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Grab a Bentley manual for early ('66 & older) Type 1 chassis, and compare pics to what you have on IRS car. The swap isn't hard or complicated, if you look at it... Lots of info available without asking if you use a Search feature.

bryan

Thanks for the same old "search feature " response. I was hoping to make contact with somebody who had done it. And fyi I didnt find anything about this when searching. Your input has been most useful
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

Is there a particular reason you'd like to switch to Swing Axle? Are you trying to run wider wheels? If so what size?

With the proper offset wheels you can easily fit 7" width wheels in the rear.

My car currently has 15x6 Porsche wheels and I easily have clearance to run 1" spacers if I want the wheels to sit closer to the fender for a more flush look.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

AndrewS85 wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bryan

Thanks for the same old "search feature " response. I was hoping to make contact with somebody who had done it. And fyi I didnt find anything about this when searching. Your input has been most useful

You're quite welcome. I'm not from an entitled generation.

bnc
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:
Is there a particular reason you'd like to switch to Swing Axle? Are you trying to run wider wheels? If so what size?

My car currently has 15x6 Porsche wheels and I easily have clearance to run 1" spacers if I want the wheels to sit closer to the fender for a more flush look.

I'm trying to run 16x7 fuchs. That's interesting information, I'd love to keep my current setup if possible
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
AndrewS85 wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bryan

bnc

No, you're just a waste of time. Why respond to a post if you're not going to try to help? Like I said I was hoping to make contact with somebody that's done the swap. What part of what you've posted has been productive?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

AndrewS85 wrote:
didget69 wrote:
AndrewS85 wrote:
didget69 wrote:

bryan

bnc

No, you're just a waste of time. Why respond to a post if you're not going to try to help? Like I said I was hoping to make contact with somebody that's done the swap. What part of what you've posted has been productive?

OK...let's just let the sniping pass and move on...life's too short etc, etc. Back on topic please.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

OP...... first it would be helpful if you were a little more detailed with what your over all plan is. So all of us are saying why bother to do this ? Have you researched the clearance differences between a short axle swing and an IRS ? If you did then the answer is moot.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

I think they’ve spelled it out quite succinctly.
They want to bastardize their 69 to fit wider wheels.
So they need a short axle tranny and some spring plates.
If it were me I’d just flare the fenders.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

Is part of your plan to drop it to the ground also? Just know that when you start lowering a swing axle car that you will also be chewing the inner edges off of the tires & destroying wheel bearings due to the lack of lubrication. This is the reason that most people usually go the opposite direction.

You can also search the early Beetle forums for people doing the swing axle conversion.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Is part of your plan to drop it to the ground also? Just know that when you start lowering a swing axle car that you will also be chewing the inner edges off of the tires & destroying wheel bearings due to the lack of lubrication. This is the reason that most people usually go the opposite direction.

You can also search the early Beetle forums for people doing the swing axle conversion.

Planning on just going a little lower in the back, nothing crazy
AndrewS85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:

Which type of Porsche wheels are you running?
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691687&highlight=short+axle

Requires:

A short-axle T1 Transaxle
The requisite Swing Axle spring plates

R&R time:
Remove the IRS transaxle & trailing arms
Change over the Swing parts...

Depending on year of Swing unit used, you may be grinding for flywheel clearance in bell housing.

Point of Order: If you are simply going for a narrower track, using 1" narrowed IRS trailing arms will tend to be cheaper than sourcing a Swingaxle transmission & the spring plates for a conversion..

Need anything else?

bnc
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: IRS to Swing axle in a 69 Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

[i]You can also search the early Beetle forums for people doing the swing axle conversion.[i/]

... some effort required.

Beetles sold in Mexico / South America up to end of production ran Ball Joint front / Swing rear setups - the swap is not at all complicated, you just need to compare what you have to the parts you need.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330087

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=134222

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: