Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 356 rear compensating spring
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vws unlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Need help identifying Porsche 356 rear compensating spring that came from a 1957
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Not an expert but it looks like a regular EMPI camber compensator

I can't tell myself if it's an original EMPI unit though

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Yup that's a vw compensator for 61 and up transmission not for split case transmission .split case would have a skinny mounting bracket ...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Yes, it similar but I don't think they are the same exact one?

I believe the Porsche model had different length "arms".

vws unlimited:
Post a full width measurement of if you want people to check against other known lengths - VW or Porsche
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

This is an old add ...the center mount looks different I know can't tell as much but I can lol ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2215538
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Thanks for that research

Got it - you are correct it is different.

Maybe this is a VW unit, I guess it fits too if it was really pulled off a '57 356. Smile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

All empi did with these was have different center mounts/brackets for different trans everything is the same ...they would of used one size length compenstor " one size fits all" it was faster and easy money just to use the same specs but just changed the center mounts for different transmissions .because vw and 356 swing axles are basically the same specs ...but on the porsche 356 empi compensator most weren't bought because on the 356B porsche started selling the 356b ,c sc with there own.. so it's rare to find a empi 356 one since the only folks who would buy one were 356A folks since they never came with one back in those days not much folks bought them or did that upgrade or cared ... myfriends uncle told me he went to the porsche dealer and ordered one in the 60s and bought a porsche one and used it on his 356A so empi ones wernt sold as much because folks could of bought the "porsche"one from the dealer ...
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

I have a new Empi one that was sold as a vw compensator. I just installed it on my 58 356, I did have to make a new mounting bracket. I believe you could use the VW one if you added to the length of the bracket that bolts to the trans, about an inch. the center section of the 356 is bigger deeper not wider than the VW.
Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the factory didn't offer the rear compensating spring until the 1960 356B Super 90 cars with them being available on the other engine variant cars as options (my 1960 1600S Roadster has a factory installed unit). In addition to the spring, the rear torsion bars were smaller in diameter and therefore "weaker" to theoretically make cornering easier. I don't recall them being available for 356A's, at least from the factory. Again, please let me know if I have this wrong. Thanks--
vws unlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Ahh. Finally ran down info on this Empi bar. They did make a center plate for the Porsche 356, as advertisement shows.
Owner of 356 went to dealer and this is what they installed, probably cost less than orig. bar setup. So all those years he thought he had an original but was an Empi.
Interesting is that center plate has patent number and looks like a Porsche number also?? Trying to get it media blasted to see if number is completely legible.
So we can see why he thought it was OE.
It is still a very interesting piece from 60 plus years back.
Almost forgot to post that we found original drawings and patent number and date.
vws unlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Oops. Gotta clarify that’s the way the story was told about the compensating bar but now it seems like it was also used on a VW. Plate may be modified or swapped. Rolling Eyes
Don’t know what I’m going to do with this bar.
Any suggestions?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Since it looks like a regular VW bar, I'm sure you could sell it to a VW owner
vws unlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Yep. May just clean it up and hang on the wall.
Looks like they did sell some for 356s in the 60s.
Beginning to think that someone just modified it to see if it would help the handling.
I almost believe it being on a 356 Because I bought the engine with 1957 serial number from same person. But he also had 6 early 911 rebuilt heads and crankshaft.
I’m going to sell all the 356 engine parts don’t know about other stuff!
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 rear compensating spring Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the factory didn't offer the rear compensating spring until the 1960 356B Super 90 cars with them being available on the other engine variant cars as options (my 1960 1600S Roadster has a factory installed unit). In addition to the spring, the rear torsion bars were smaller in diameter and therefore "weaker" to theoretically make cornering easier. I don't recall them being available for 356A's, at least from the factory. Again, please let me know if I have this wrong. Thanks--

I believe you are correct sir.
People tend to think of them as a rear sway bar for swing axles, but they were strictly to to bear the weight that the smaller torsion bars did not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: