Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

a month later....

Shift shaft is completely installed and lubed from the gear shift knob all the way to the tranz. Getting those badmitton birdie bushings in was a bitch. Destroyed one, so I had to buy more and WAIT on delivery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WHile I waited, I cleaned and tested the wiper motor and bought all the goodies for the wiper arm shafts and some used arms for $12 each. Buy the way, this black cap requires some drilling. I could not get it onto the shaft. And as you can see, it does not fully seat over the nut. Oh well...

bolted in the metal dash top...

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
Interested in what you find the fix to be for this. My shifter(s) have suffered the same or similar fate and I'm real annoyed with it. I once tried squeezing the socket closed a little bit with my vice, but that didn't get anywhere.

My 1st plan is to see if a hardware store had the pin and small spring. Only idea I have on the "cup slot" is to maybe use JB Weld. Which I am sure would wear off. The pin slop in the gap really does not look too bad to me. Maybe a mm on each side.

If I come up with something, I will chime in here.

I ended up buying 2 pins from Alan Schofield. I filled the gap with JB Weld, let it sit for a few days then filed out enough of the filler in the slot to get one of my new pins in.

Truthfully, I think the new pin would have taken out enough play.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I also got the hand brake lever assembled properly... The eyebolt needs to be fully threaded into the toothed shaft so that the pin holding the spring will hit on the vertical part of the lever. All that keeps the T-grip horizontal.

I thought the eyebolt would be part of the adjustment. See I painted the midway point on the threads. Needs to be fully threaded!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I have also installed the new Master Cylinder, Servo-Booster, all the hard lines, reservoirs, filled the system with fluid and bled all for wheels.

Last night I found a slight fluid leak around the pipe feeding the lower res. I re-used the original pipe and clamps, but did use new rubber seals. The clamps are just plastic, so I probably need to re-tighten or get a new hose clamp.

MY LEAK. Tightening made it worse.

ALL THE BRAKE STUFF>>>

I also bought and installed a TACH....

Last edited by malcolm2 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Looking good. Keep it up.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I tried my first body filler job this weekend. I am slowly figuring it out.

Also got the tires mounted onto the blasted and powder coated wheels. Popped the hub cap on just to see what it looks like.... Then found out that I don't have the TOOL to get the hub cap off. Something else to buy.

And I had to use the Original Sway brace bushing clamp. None of the aftermarket ones I tried fit just right. But the OEM one worked great. The one on top in the pic below, looks thick and shaped correctly. I did not try it tho. I will look up where I got it and edit this post. The middle one was impossible to wrap around the bushing. I ended up splitting the bushing and deforming the other clamp. JUNK.... I will post that vendor too.

EDIT: I will be damned. I got both sway brace bushing kits at CIP1.com. 1 one was $23 (bad) one was $27 (GOOD) C24-211-498-101-A - They refer this one as TOP QUALITY

Used the sharpie method to mark the highs and lows. The shot above, of course is pre-blocking. Still need one more coat to fill the valleys.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Got me a nice Christmas Present that cost more than my rusty bus Cool . TYPE4STORE.com Camper Special heads. Brand New 1.8 Castings from AMC. type4store springs, valve keepers & Stainless Steel 2.0 sized valves, modified ports, #3 spark plug notch for an under plug thermocouple, proprietary valve seats that don't come out Wink.

Still coming will be a 9590 Cam kit with Chromoly cut-to-fit push rods, solid lifters, swivel foot adjusters on and on....

And All new case hardware, STD crank bearings, cam bearings, flywheel bolts, and a few other needs.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

back to the body work....

I have done the body filler, sanded and used some glazing in places. THis is filler primer. I blocked this down a bit and used a bit more glazing. I am so tired of messing with these two areas. body work is lots of work. But surprisingly I think I did a decent job. I will see when the color goes on...

Got some very nice LED headlights for my 914. Bought some for the Bus too. I can't seem to get the adjustment carriage centered. THere is no adjustment for it. I guess it is just the aftermarket Chinese part???

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Suspension, Brakes, Tires and Wheels are done. Dropped the bus down on the skateboards so I could rotate the drivers side to the open side of the garage and get to some needed body work.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Looks like the last repair job in this area was just BONDO slapped on rusty holes. Well water got back in and soaked into the dirt etc.... and continued the rusting. I mean you can see how thick the bondo was on the rear fender. It was much thinner, but covered the curved rocker in the shot above with all the pin holes in it. Jeez.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Dry fitting the funky green panels.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I’ve also done some engine work. Pulled, drilled, and threaded the 5 3/8” oil galley plugs.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I guess I have not been on the ball. I think I cut this rust out in December. Now it's February. I do have the panel ready now tho.

It is not easy getting these 2 panels together. But to tell the truth there is not much to screw up. I tek screwed them together and dry the assembly several times to verify fit.

popped some holes in the upper panel to tack weld them together. Made sure the panels were tight together with vise grips. All is well.

View on the inside where the work was done.

I would say I got some good burn thru here. Primed the whole piece and I will weld it to the bus tomorrow.

I got most of the FUNKY GREEN off the outside of the panels. I'll prime and rattle can the inside.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

All zinc'd up and ready to weld....

I welded strips at the seam.

I decide to use the tool to notch the panel and overlap this panel. Actually "underlap". I slipped the panel under the body panel.

This one is JUST UGLY. It had been repaired once before. See the green bondo... not mine. Still have some smoothing to do on both of these. But I have a coat or 2 of filler on them. They don't call it body WORK for nuthin'.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

And while I have been dragging my feet on the last of the rust repair. I did get some help.

My tranz has been rebuilt. The case was swiss cheese. The magnesium had just disappeared. Thanks to RUSTY BOTTOM garage in Smyrna TN. It took a few months, but hey, business is good, so I waited.

I hope I get it moving before the warranty runs out... Cool

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

time to send off the handles and get everything keyed as one...... Bought an Engine hatch handle with a key, so I will add that. Also bought a glove box knob with a key. I don't believe it will be able to be the same key. But it will lock!

The rain gutter on this side was damaged by a tree or 2. It will now work as designed. The worst of the dents still looks bad, but I believe it is gonna have to stay that way.

FINALLY... This side has been in repair mode since Christmas. But is now has primer on it.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Don't be discouraged with slow progress. That long side rocker can be a pain even though it looks like it should be simple. It's har to get the curve right at the B and C pillars and keep it all straight. People will say that overlapping panels is a bad idea, but I think it's fine for that area. The seam won't rust because it is well above the fool. You will be able to treat and paint both sides. Looks good and should be a long lasting repair.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Don't be discouraged with slow progress. That long side rocker can be a pain even though it looks like it should be simple.

It certainly was difficult. Thinking and fitting and fitting, over and over. And from 10 feet away, only a few people might find my workmanship lacking. The work did not take so long, it was just getting motivated to go at it again, and again, and again.... Very Happy .

This is my 1st body work project. Floor board, trunks, fender wells require no art. This is truly a skill to do it right and quickly and the 1st time.

Moving on to something else today. This social distancing is working out....

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue May 12, 2020 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Still moving slowly....I have been doing other things, but here are some recent pix to show. I finally got all my engine parts together, so I have been putzing with the rod weight and marrying up the pistons, pins, and clips to statically balance. And today I plasti-gauged the rods and checked the axial play and also checked the ring gaps.... all is in spec.

Scale is at ZERO variation.....across all 4 assemblies.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Some work done in March and April while waiting on engine parts was my 1st attempt at paint. I am Mr. Cheap here, this is all Rattle Can Rustoleum. The pictures don't really prove that they look good... But truthfully, the paint does not look BAD. I will feel fine parking at Walmart and not having to worry about a $5000 paint job.

No pictures.... but I also put about $130 into door handles, re-keying and keys matching. I added the locking type for the engine and got the VW logo keys.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: