Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater channel blasphemy?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Heater channel blasphemy? Reply with quote

In a nutshell, my right heater channel has sufficient rust to require attention, but I loathe the prospect of the long, tedious process that will ensue if I replace the entire channel. My question is: How feasible and/or wise would it be to merely cut out the section that has the rust problem and weld in a replacement as opposed to replacing the entire channel?

From visible inspection and tapping/prodding, only a small area around the heater vent and A frame pillar need attention...
oicdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking the same.......

I was actally looking at getting some square tubing and making faux heater channels. Basically, something there to replace them and maintain or maybe even increase rigidity....

The only parts rusted on mine are near the feet and at the pillar...otherwise, rust free...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/ThePoliticalThinker/lb.jpg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
VW Baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the area around the feet and the pillar is the only major rust area for me too.

Insights anyone?
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace just a piece. Use 3 inch cutoff wheels and a pneumatic metal cutting saber saw. That will make the cuts nice and clean. Then weld in the parts that you will be using to replace it. It will be tough to cut it to fit just right, as there are a lot of bends, but carpet covers 99% of it, so that may be OK for you.

I just did one on a type III where I essentially had to build it up from scratch, one piece at a time, as there are no replacement channels for those.

Chubber
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
VW Baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking more and more that that is what I'm going to do. There's just no rust on any other part of the channel, and I hate to go through the effort of replacing the whole thing.

I just wasn't sure whether a partial replacement was a foolhardy idea or if people actually do it. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: