Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

What did you do to fill or cover the routed slot in the front of the upper cabinet that the back edge of the plenum used to fit into?
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

I got a new front from Louis Warfield at Rhino Design Studios
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Ah, I thought you originally meant the black grille only and not the full front panel of the cabinet.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Digging this up from the archives.

I just had my AC overhauled to R134a. I am seriously considering removing the plenum for all of the said benefits, but I'd like to add a louvered grill, such that if the back passengers complain of it not being cold enough, I can redirect air down.

I was thinking of something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LSDYF90/ref=psdc_13400071_t1_B006J2VDPY

But I do not know what the dimension of the opening is when the plenum is removed.

Other design constraints I am not thinking about with this approach? I would need to have enough depth for the louvered vanes to move...Not sure if that will be an issue.

thanks
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

I like your idea of making some vent directors, BUT, if your fan works anything like mine, the folks in the back will immediately tell you to turn it down from freezing them and the hurricane wind if you put it on fan #3 or #4
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

What is the best way to deal with the wiring harness that runs front to back on my 87 after plenum removal. It isn't going to be fun...
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean. Take a look at Kam's pdf to ensure we're talking the same parts:

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/RemovingthePlenum.pdf

Steve Arndt wrote:
What is the best way to deal with the wiring harness that runs front to back on my 87 after plenum removal. It isn't going to be fun...

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:

But I do not know what the dimension of the opening is when the plenum is removed.

I just measured mine, since I was measuring something else…

I make it 3 5/16 x 13 1/8.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks PaulsBeard!

Paulbeard wrote:
dsdunbar wrote:

I just measured mine, since I was measuring something else…

I make it 3 5/16 x 13 1/8.

Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Plenum removers:

I got a new front panel from Rhino Design after removing the plenum, but I'm not quite sure how to install it. Looks like I have to take the evaporator box down and maybe there's L brackets or some such that attach the front of the box (where the speakers are). Or what? Help appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
[From several years ago, just read it pondering the job]
I turned on the fan post-removal and almost hit my head on the windshield, it was blowing so hard. It's hella gusty at 4 and very solid at 2. So that thing is out for keeps. Assuming the a/c itself is any good, I might see if there isn't a way to bring some of that lovely coolth upfront more directly with some diy ductwork.

I have been considering putting a 2 inch round or rectangular tube into the 'spice rack', to deliver a small blast directly to the driver's side of the front cab area. Has anyone done that??
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

I don't recall hearing of anyone trying that but knock yourself out. It would need to funnel a portion of the blast into something like 2" PVC tube that snaked down into the spice rack and you'd need to punch out the front end or snake the tube out again to get it near the driver's head. Might affect the goodness of the airflow. Experiment with a mockup before making irreversible cuts, of course.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

I saw a neat solution here but can't find it. Someone made a fabric duct that ran from the back ac cabinet straight to the front. When it wasn't needed it was folded up. It's been on my mind but the plenum removal increased the airflow so much it's not as important but it would still be nice to get more cool air in front of my body.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I saw a neat solution here but can't find it. Someone made a fabric duct that ran from the back ac cabinet straight to the front. When it wasn't needed it was folded up. It's been on my mind but the plenum removal increased the airflow so much it's not as important but it would still be nice to get more cool air in front of my body.

https://www.amazon.com/Juvale-Pack-Agility-Tunnel-Accessory/dp/B01N0UIV7V/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That would almost work Smile
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Y'all know there is a duct already running from the back to the front, right? And, to boot, it goes right into the front air box. Its controlled by the part of the dash levers called Rear Vents. Plug those overhead outlets, and stop the fresh air from entering at the very front of the outside air inlet (top grill, kit by Vanistan is good for this) and the passenger door lower vent slider, and Bob's Your Uncle. Just got to drop the A/C cabinet, cut an access on the passenger side, and cut your way into that duct. I'd look for an in-line high pressure fan to place in the A/C cabinet to force that cool air up the duct. There is a ready-made spot of unused space there, behind the PS speaker.

On a side note, the fabric idea works. I've used such a "sock" made out of a bed sheet that I sewed into a 30' sock starting about 12" (to match my wood stove's blower duct) and then stapled the sock around the lower edge of my music studio wall (well, its a garage really). Turn fan on, sock inflates and oozes warm air. When needing to record, just kill the blower fan, and its silent.

If you want to have a blast of air, make an opening.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Pulled everything out over the last two days. Compressor, all the plumbing to and from the condenser, drier, exchanger, electrical and every little part associated to the AC. Taking the remaining cabinet to Rhino Designs Monday to have a new cabinet and/or face made to turn the space into usable storage. I never used the AC in the 9yrs I've owned it. Au revoir!

Used these leftover wood wine boxes to support the cabinet et. al. as I carefully unscrewed everything. Didn't know what to expect.

VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Man if you lived here in the south you wouldn't be taking it out, you'd be making it work before it gets hot & steamy.

Be Cool
Tom
87 Syncro GL
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

VWagabond wrote:
Man if you lived here in the south you wouldn't be taking it out, you'd be making it work before it gets hot & steamy.

Be Cool
Tom

Amen brother!! Laughing
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Synchronoid: The inserts (looks like) in the windows- are they some kind of thin insulation foam? What keeps them in their window-frames. Looks great, anyhow. If they keep you cool/war, that's even better.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia A/C vents & removing plenum Reply with quote

Nope, that's just the textured side of the house. Very Happy

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Synchronoid: The inserts (looks like) in the windows- are they some kind of thin insulation foam? What keeps them in their window-frames. Looks great, anyhow. If they keep you cool/war, that's even better.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: