Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 Standard Resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

unclewede wrote:
Where was this 3 years ago when I was FOLLOWING ALONG when someone else did it for my son's 77????

Great job! I feel good that you did many of the things I had done, to get it to DD for my son. We still need to work on the sunroof, it was working GREAT until I had someone put in a new headliner and they used drill-guns to replace screws and cracked plastic. Now we are using PVC caps to hold up the back end of the roof and keep the rain out.

Sounds like the lift part of the cable and stop are not working correctly. The roof slides to a set point, and at that point, you still have a turn to go, it enacts the lift portion of the closing. All the parts are still easily obtainable, better get t9 it. Good luck! If you have any questions, PM me. I will always try to help out!

Thank you! I do it for a hobby, nothing else. It is how I relax and fill my time. I cannot stand not working or not solving some issue. Just wired that way.

Sunroof was pretty easy, once I figured out how it is supposed to work. To document the process, I had to complete the repair the first time with no camera. I then went back through it and took pictures. Took me three times longer due to it, but was hoping it would help someone out, down the road!

Thanks for the justification!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

It’s my birthday today, so decided to spend it working on the Bug. Shocker - right! Rest of the family was at work anyways. Plus, I bought a new polisher and wanted to see what it could do to that badly oxidized paint.

First up was removing the wrinkled tint on the three windows in the back. Super easy using a garbage bag, Windex and the sun. Had to break out a razor blade for a few spots. That garbage bag trick works awesome! No pictures, both my hands were working the whole hour, that it took.

Used Meguiars mirror glaze compound with a foam pad on my new polisher! Followed that up with Meguiars synthetic sealant. Then I stuck some for sale signs in it.

Looks damn good! What do you guys think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are three spots on the car that, if I was not in a hurry to sell, I would repaint and make it more pretty. But, not going to do it.

Spot by the deck lid.

Spot on the passenger rear fender.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Happy belated, Jim!

I'm amazed, flabbergasted, and in awe that this car went from non-running to working, running FI with a few upgrades in only 3 months Shocked Very Happy

A good job saving another one and getting it back to road ready! If only I had the garage space and lived closer than 3000+ miles away!

I'm sure it'll make a good little car for whoever buys it!
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Happy belated, Jim!

I'm amazed, flabbergasted, and in awe that this car went from non-running to working, running FI with a few upgrades in only 3 months Shocked Very Happy

A good job saving another one and getting it back to road ready! If only I had the garage space and lived closer than 3000+ miles away!

Thanks! Let’s hope it fetches something. The youngest wants a car bad!

I love this little car. It runs soooooo good. I forgot how nice FI was, WHEN it works! Runs so good! Very happy with the results.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Happy belated, Jim!

X2 on the birthday greetings. I think mamma owes you a steak dinner for all your hard work yesterday. Laughing

That seems like a fair price for a good running FI car.
You can always ship it to Almost Heaven and have him sell it for ya. On the East coast. That car might fetch 9K. Smile

Have a great day.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Hiya Jimbo et al!
I'm most certainly late to the game in my posting; however just recently
found this thread. I'm currently attempting to finish up a restoration
of a '69 Bug, and am now working on the sunroof.
I found your photos and instructions for installation of the two felt seals,
and one foam seal, extremely helpful... thank you!
The issue I'm having is with the foam seal, which installs on the front lip/tray
of the sunroof lid itself ...
I've now purchased this foam seal twice - one from Wolfsburg West,
and one from West Coast Metric. Neither of them look like the one in your thread photo;
in that the right and left ends are not in the same configuration
as yours. Mine are tapered differently, and will not lay/fit correctly.
(The middle portion of the foam seal is fine, where it fits into the recess,
but beyond that is where the difference is).
Ok, too wordy. HA. All this to ask just where your purchased your foam seal?
I appreciate your assistance.
Thank you!
PS: My two felt seals are good, and the method you used to install them
is perfect! Red Bug
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Hey Cario!

Seal was from Wolfsburg West, the first time. It would not stay in place. So, purchased a second one from West Coast Metric and a tube of 3M weather seal adhesive. That did the trick!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo for your reply!

Yes, I got my second foam seal from WCM as well, only to compare it to the one I purchased from WW. They are identical in configuration...
I'm surmising that the design has changed in the one I got from WCM against the one you purchased from them a while back.
i.e. the taper at both ends of the seal are different (from the one pictured in your thread) - they don't want to fit correctly against the metal around the corners of the sunroof lid)
So then, I will continue to play with it in an attempt to make it work!

Yes, I did purchase the 3M weather seal, indeed.

Thanks again!

WCM part number 117-209A seal

Charlo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: