Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine removal
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: engine removal Reply with quote

disclaimer: My first type 3 and its a '65
I've looked around and it seems that consensus is to pull trans with motor. I don't want to do that. I've seen people saying if you pull motor only you have to use straps or even an 2x4 to help keep trans supported. I got under and looked around and I don't see anything different from a type1. Looks like trans is supported by the 2 frame horn bolt and front nose cone. Am i missing something? Seems like its your normal wires removal, accelerator cable etc. then remove your 4 trans to motor bolts and drop motor. Oh! And the bolts at top of motor under motor cover.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braeska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: engine removal Reply with quote

I'm no expert when it comes to removing an engine from a type 3 but I've seen people do it without removing the transmission or even supporting it. My understanding is just jack the car up remove the wires, accelerator cable, heater cables (if you have heat exchangers), etc. Then its just the four bolts and slide it back, down, under and out.
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: engine removal Reply with quote

That's what I figured but seems I can't find this straight forward way on samba. I'm with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braeska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: engine removal Reply with quote

This guy is a bit of a nut but whatever, it's a decent video showing how he did it on his fastback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cbi4K-BYI
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: engine removal Reply with quote

ghiafreek wrote:
That's what I figured but seems I can't find this straight forward way on samba. I'm with you.

Your's is a 65 which has a swing axle. No need to take out the transmission or to support it. If your's was a 68+ it would be an IRS (independent rear suspension) and require the support of the transmission.

This is where your confusion comes from. To take the engine out of a 65 is very easy and straight forward.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: engine removal Reply with quote

old_man is correct.

'65 still had swing axle with the big frame horns that come back to support the transmission.

Engine is removed by itself. I don't think you could remove the transmission with the engine even if you wanted to.

No support is needed for the transmission on a '65, it's bolted to those frame horns and stays in place when the engine is removed.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: engine removal Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
old_man is correct.

'65 still had swing axle with the big frame horns that come back to support the transmission.

Engine is removed by itself. I don't think you could remove the transmission with the engine even if you wanted to.

No support is needed for the transmission on a '65, it's bolted to those frame horns and stays in place when the engine is removed.

And the most common screw up with pulling a Type 3 engine is that the car isn't high enough to get the engine out from under the car and the rear apron suffers as a result.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: engine removal Reply with quote

Oh and 2 things. Pull the dipstick out of it's tube , and don't forget to disconnect the heater control cables. Those 2 things are easily forgotten on a type 3.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: