Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

NAZglen wrote:
Hey DD
i have been looking for these also. Here are two links on Chirco's website. Upper and lowers.

https://www.chircoestore.com/product/baja-bug-upper-front-axle-tube-beam-supports/

https://www.chircoestore.com/product/vw-baja-bug-lower-front-tube-beam-supports/

Thanks for the link! I will have to do some reading about those. I wonder if anything has to be cut away and they are meant to be used with a fiberglass front end? I will definitely do more research on these for sure though. Thanks for the help!
NAZglen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

from the pictures on their website. it looks like the bottom bolts to the pan. the top looks like it bolts to the front firewall.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Wouldn’t that make the gas tank area really tight?
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Unfortunately I was taking off the seized concentrics off the old ball joints on my thing control arms and they come off with a bang, so much of a bang it popped out or something did and I shattered my trigger finger on my right hand and bust it open. Then, I tried to clean it up and go to Wahlgreens to get a splint for my finger so I could keep working and my other car I left the lights on over night. So when it rains it pours haha. Rolling Eyes

Got cleaned up and managed to finish getting the front suspension apart today. I will have to rent a slide hammer from Autozone with the bearing puller so I can get the needle bearings out and then I can clean up my front beam and paint it and start reassembling the front and roll it out of the way I guess.

Worse part is I really wanted to go shooting this weekend too! LOL :2gunfire:
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
Unfortunately I was taking off the seized concentrics off the old ball joints on my thing control arms and they come off with a bang, so much of a bang it popped out or something did and I shattered my trigger finger on my right hand and bust it open. Then, I tried to clean it up and go to Wahlgreens to get a splint for my finger so I could keep working and my other car I left the lights on over night. So when it rains it pours haha. Rolling Eyes

Got cleaned up and managed to finish getting the front suspension apart today. I will have to rent a slide hammer from Autozone with the bearing puller so I can get the needle bearings out and then I can clean up my front beam and paint it and start reassembling the front and roll it out of the way I guess.

Sucks about your finger! If your needle bearings are in good shape I would reuse them!
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

Sucks about your finger! If your needle bearings are in good shape I would reuse them!

I guess ball joint separators are nothing to mess with. Of course I have my Ingersoll Rand impact that I was using on it also so when it went, it went.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Jeremy from Rebel Wire finished up my harness today and sent me some pics. I am relocating the fuse panel to under the rear seat on the passenger side, hence the extra lengths of wire runs. I am excited to have modern style fuses because you can get them anywhere and they are a lot easier to test without having to pull and guess. I also had him do a few custom features such as lengths for gauges, led flasher relays and wiring in the 4 way flashers so they are plug and play. The harness does not follow the VW OEM wiring colors but it’s not a big deal since wire is labeled every 6 inches and my car is getting completely rewired. Will be nice to have a fresh harness that isn’t a hack job over 50+ years and the wires will be fresh instead of crispy. Overall, I think they did a great job!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Got some done today since my finger is healed up. Got most of the front suspension painted with the Steel-It, and started stripping the old paint off the rear trailing arms and frame horns. I need to get a new wire brush so I will finish that stuff tomorrow. Also cleaned up the thing eccentrics so I can use them again. Got my ball joints pressed in. Went with the Heyd heavy duty German ball joints this time, as I wasn't impressed with the Meyles.

Received my wiring harness from Rebel Wire as well. It is very heavy duty, I bet the box weighs close to 25 pounds. I think the wires are about twice as thick as the stock harness. Overall I think they did a very good job on it and it came with a nice book on wiring the gauges up and customized instructions since I got a underseat relocation kit, instead of standard. Will probably be a couple months until I get to work on the wiring however.

I am getting close to being able to seam seal the chassis and then I will raptor liner it and flip it over and do the bottom. After that I will be rebuilding the entire chassis from the ground up with all new bearings, seals and bushings. Everything is going to be new and fresh. I am excited again to be working on the car!

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Quote:
NAZglen wrote:
Hey DD
i have been looking for these also. Here are two links on Chirco's website. Upper and lowers.

https://www.chircoestore.com/product/baja-bug-upper-front-axle-tube-beam-supports/

https://www.chircoestore.com/product/vw-baja-bug-lower-front-tube-beam-supports/

Those links are for beam to front firewall brace tubes. NOT for reinforcing teh IRS arms while retaining stock shock mounts.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Got the most of the drivers side stripped today. The dealer undercoating really is a pain. You can chip it off with a screwdriver or grind it off with the grinder like I did. Kind of a have to do multiple passes as it burns off then the tar type layer, paint and then primer finally. Takes a while.

I have 34 days until my daughter is born so I need to either get the body epoxy primer and raptor liner painted or finish the chassis. I think I am going to finish the body first since it is more messy and louder so I can get that out of the way. Also I am going to probably have my transmission rebuilt so I would like that in the car along with my new cv axles so I can measure for my shocks so it will be a bit before the chassis could be completed anyways.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Those links are for beam to front firewall brace tubes. NOT for reinforcing teh IRS arms while retaining stock shock mounts.

That’s why I asked if it makes the gas tank area really tight? I’ve never seen them mounted on a stock front end just fiberglass.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Got more of the body stripped today. Have one more wheel well and some small touch up areas the wire brush couldn’t get to on the outside and then I will finish the inside. The roof inside is what I dread. I hate working with my arms over my head for long periods.

Anyways, have to get some Upol Epoxy primer ordered up soon and decide on a raptor liner color.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
dustymojave wrote:
Those links are for beam to front firewall brace tubes. NOT for reinforcing the IRS arms while retaining stock shock mounts.

That’s why I asked if it makes the gas tank area really tight? I’ve never seen them mounted on a stock front end just fiberglass.

I went back and edited that last post of mine as when I posted it the quote of NAZGlen's post didn't go with my post. Now it will make more sense as it was originally intended.

Moving on...
Does it make "the gas tank area really tight?"...hmmm...I have to assume you mean does it make it tight for clearance under the tank... they should fit fine if you're fitting them with the tank in place before you drill the bolt holes. My Bug has front cage structure under the stock tank.

The sides are trimmed, but they cleared the tubes before they were trimmed.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Got the last wheel well stripped today and started on the cab. Got quite a bit of it done, will probably be able to finish it tomorrow I hope. Not enjoying stripping the cabin roof but it has to get done!

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Man you are doing a thorough job.
Keep it up
Is that raptor paint you are putting on smooth and shiny or rough like bed liner? I would not grind ceiling just paint or are you not going to have an interior?
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Man you are doing a thorough job.
Keep it up
Is that raptor paint you are putting on smooth and shiny or rough like bed liner? I would not grind ceiling just paint or are you not going to have an interior?

You can put it on in different ways depending on the psi you use at the gun. Also. They sell a special applicator that has a variable tip to further adjust how you want the texture to be. Also it can be rolled on for a smoother appearance.

I am sanding the roof because I am epoxy priming the whole car for protection. I am raptor lining the inside as well and I will not have a traditional headliner. I cut the clips out so I will be putting up an Indian or Mexican blanket in the uppermost area as a headline after I put sound deadener. I guess my interior will be a little more spartan but it will still have door panels, carpeting and my modified headliner. All the vinyl will most likely just be basic black.

Thanks for the words of encouragement I’m getting kind of burnt out right now to be honest but have to persevere.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Got more done on the dash and package tray area and heater channels. Got next to final sanding done on them. I will still have to wash everything with wax and grease remover and do final scratch for the epoxy primer and then I’m off to the races and Raptor Lining. I still have a few more welds to grind where I filled the openings on the dash and glovebox areas but I need to get a 90 degree grinder and roloc discs for fine touch up sanding to finish that project.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Taking care of one of my areas I wasn’t looking forward to today. Got the engine bay mostly done. Need a couple more supplies to get it finished up but made significant progress. I am thinking of painting the engine bay with black raptor liner so it will hide grease and dirt a little better. I will probably do the area with the seal in black steel-it so it’s not such a pain to deal with the gasket for the tins.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Used my sandblasted gun with glass bead to get some of the tough to reach areas in the engine bay and also did more sanding today inside the cab. Also welded the front of a Pre-‘67 glove box door to the front of my ‘70 glovebox door to take up the gap from not having a dash pad. Used a air grinder to get the correct glovebox door latch hole lined up (will be using the twist one of my ‘70 since it fits properly). Ran some welds around the edges and smoothed it out. Then filled the lip so it looks like one piece. Will sand the back, save the tire sticker, and paint the back in Steel-It and the front will be Raptor Liner when I paint the interior.

Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

If you use Raptor Liner, I think it has a bit of texture, which will end up holding grease and dirt. I would suggest something like regular paint that would allow stuff to just slide right off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 28

Jump to: