Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 hood latch receiver
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: 67 hood latch receiver Reply with quote

I am having my 67 hood latch receiver replated, and I notice it has a bit of yellow on the metal, but all of the hood latch receivers I have seen look silver. What was the original color?

For an example of what I am seeing on mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133313765443
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 hood latch receiver Reply with quote

My 67 latch is silver(original)
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 67 hood latch receiver Reply with quote

Harry, I think that what you are seeing on your receiver -- if it's the same as on the one pictured in the link provided -- is a 'patina' of tarnish / oxidation beginning to form or perhaps even lubrication residue weeping into those areas over the decades. All the original ones I've ever seen were silver (cadmium 1 plated). There's new repop aftermarket ones offered from various vendors (J Bugs, for example) in the gold plated coloring for comparison.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 hood latch receiver Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Harry, I think that what you are seeing on your receiver -- if it's the same as on the one pictured in the link provided -- is a 'patina' of tarnish / oxidation beginning to form or perhaps even lubrication residue weeping into those areas over the decades.

Patina makes sense, as the yellow was fairly faint, but I'm surprised it would age yellow at all (even with lubrication). I was anticipating it just being dirty and dark gray, so I was surprised to see a bit of gold/brass peeping through.

67conv wrote:
All the original ones I've ever seen were silver (cadmium 1 plated). There's new repop aftermarket ones offered from various vendors (J Bugs, for example) in the gold plated coloring for comparison.

Yes, I've noticed those! I wondered why they would plate them that color, if originally it was silver (seems to just scream "reproduction" in those cases).

Thanks, 67conv!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: