Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

So what is the cost to insure these new rigs compared to ours?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

I predicted this about 5 years ago. This thread is why VW will not import a T6.1 to the US. The people are still dreaming of a full Westy for $30K and that's not going to happen. The T3 wasn't a sales hit with VW in it's ladder half of it's life when it was in production. Overpriced and slow. The T4 wasn't much better until VW got the hint but by then it was too late.

I suggest everyone go price your dream T6.1 and when you see that you'll be spending a minimum of $70K, you'll walk away. On the other hand, go to Europe this summer and rent a T6 or T6.1. Go camping. Drive it around. You'll see. They are really nice and drive great. My T4 drives like a junker.

Instead, everyone should be, Hooray!" There's a Weekender and we are really interested. With what I read here, if I worked for VWoA, you just sealed the deal to never bring it to the US. People like the theory of bringing it to the US but they want to pay the year 1985 dollars or pay the year 2000 dollars (when it's 15 years old and needs a motor, trans and a whole bunch of other work) for it. It's not going to happen.

Hopefully VW realizes that you are not the customer they want, but younger people that have the money to buy one. Just like back in 1985 when a 1970 T2 owner laughed at those stupid youngsters buying new T3's for exorbitant prices. Some things never change.

I'm waiting for the EV bus and will buy it. So that's even more sacrilegious than a VW owner buying a MB.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

Built one out on the UK website.
4motion tdi and every option available.
70,066 british pounds or $90516.51usd.
I am in for $75k , but for $90k I am moving up to the revel and sacrificing the footprint. Plus if it qualifies for RV financing even easier to justify.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:

...if I worked for VWoA, you just sealed the deal to never bring it to the US.

Hopefully VW realizes that you are not the customer they want, but younger people that have the money to buy one. Just like back in 1985 when a 1970 T2 owner laughed at those stupid youngsters buying new T3's for exorbitant prices. Some things never change.

I'm waiting for the EV bus and will buy it. So that's even more sacrilegious than a VW owner buying a MB.

No one at VW imagines for a second the the grumpy old dudes (mostly, notwithstanding Kamz, Brandon, the kid in Bend and the other kid in Alabama) on thesamba are their customer in general, let alone for a new campervan. Unfortunately, they also appear to be sleepwalking while a Mercedes is selling crap-tons of Sprinters and is about to sell a pile of Metris campers. Likewise, Winnebago can't make enough $120K Sprinter Revel 4x4s.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

VW is working hard at electrifying their fleet - supposed to include a new Bus.

IF an EV Bus had a range extender option (like BMW) and they fit a camper top on it...

VW would have to price it at or lower than the Metris

but it could happen in a few years.

OTOH, I leased two Honda Pilots and some other stuff while waiting for VW to intro a new camper - gave up after ~10 years and got the Vanagon, tho the Bay Window was still better at some things.
newt3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

"IF an EV Bus had a range extender option (like BMW) and they fit a camper top on it... "

in Europe Ford / Dethleffs still has it:
A plug in hybrid camper. (eletric driven with range extender. so no direkt drive of the combustion engine. a bit comparable to bmw i3)
https://www.dethleffs.de/globevan/
https://www.promobil.de/neuheiten/dethleffs-globevan-ehybrid-2020/

Westfalia builts the Ford Nugget but at the moment not avaiable with plug in, but maybe the build it upon your demand (the torneo custom base modell is avaiable with plug in).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jalopnik, T6.1 California Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
Still a couple feet shorter than a Buick Roadmaster, regardless of 'mini' or not.. Everyone loves to call the T4+ a minivan, but nope, its just a big car. Big, 1 TON carrying CAR. Oh okay, maybe 'truckster' would do..

https://vehq.com/how-long-is-a-minivan/
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rl...p;oe=UTF-8

Minivan= front engine / front wheel drive. Yep, just a big tall station wagon.

And as you can see the Vanagon is actually the smallest.

(there's actually nothing wrong with minivans, but the "soccer mom" label killed the love affair)(and why Eurovan drivers hate it being called a minivan Razz )

Thats right. Its a MaxiBus
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

My EV is a Magavan...er, I mean...Megavan

This weekend we'll be heading up to Salt Creek Rec Area along with a bunch of Microvans from the Oly Bullis...Bullivans?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Built one out on the UK website.
4motion tdi and every option available.
70,066 british pounds or $90516.51usd.
I am in for $75k , but for $90k I am moving up to the revel and sacrificing the footprint. Plus if it qualifies for RV financing even easier to justify.

Some times the same exact vehicle is much more expensive in another country for various reasons. You would need to take other cars from the same marque and compare to the same exact US model price here in the the USA. Because of diesels, standard transmissions, engine choices and higher content in the US as std, this is often extremely difficult to impossible to do accurately.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
DCinDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

While I loved my 03 Weekender, I too coveted the T5 and T6 conversions available in Europe and regretted that we could not not get those vans here. I would happily have paid whatever VW wanted to charge to get a new version of the Weekender with modern features and none of the long term reliability concerns that my T4 had. In a moment of good luck and great timing, I recently had the opportunity to buy a new 2020 Mercedes Metris Getaway van. It is everything that I loved about my Weekender, but with the latest safety systems and an extended warranty that covers everything until 2027 or 140,000 miles. Yes, it does not have the cachet of the classic VW, and it cost damn near $70K, but I can hop in it tomorrow and drive to the west coast and back and not worry that I am driving an 18 year old vehicle. The Getaway is functionally equivalent (campingwise) to the Weekender but it also tows 5,000lbs and the upper bed is really comfortable. I’ll miss following all the great technical discussions in this forum about electrical and mechanical system issues, but will instead be planning my next road trips.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

DCinDC wrote:
I’ll miss following all the great technical discussions in this forum about electrical and mechanical system issues, but will instead be planning my next road trips.

Well said.
The double slider is awesome! I haven't followed them closely enough to notice they could be optioned like that. I saw a Nissan the other day with a pop top tent and did a double take. It's really cool seeing the new camper vans, even if they're not VW.
Congratulations on the purchase. I like the way the rear table mounts.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

Man. That's really nice.

Meanwhile my wife trashes her Golf R every weekend driving to the mountains to snowboard because she doesn't trust my Syncro. Hell, I don't trust my Syncro.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

Beautiful unit!
Is that an example of what Peace Vans is doing now?

But $70,000 ? The house I'm sitting in cost less than that just five years ago!

Wave and honk (nicely) as you blow by me in my old 1990 tintop!
If I'm parked on the shoulder with the engine lid off..... stop will ya?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

I just discovered that you can get camper conversion stuff and a 3 1/2” lift on an AWD Toyota Sienna. If you just want to camp and haul toys in a reliable vehicle, and aren’t hung up on a particular brand, I think that’s about the perfect way to do it.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

I recently purchased a GTRV Westfalia camper on a Ford F-150. Going to sell my 86 Westfalia.

I would buy a California camper if VW had the sense to offer it. A good idea at Volkswagon would die of loneliness.

This was a very interesting discussion, I’ve spent years looking at what is available.

1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
I would buy a California camper if VW had the sense to offer it. A good idea at Volkswagon would die of loneliness.

It's VWoA we're butting up against in this country with this -- they seem determined that VW is going to compete against Audi, BMW and Mercedes for market share. Meanwhile in Mexico, VW has a commercial division selling two pickups and three sizes of van, most of which I think would do well in this country if VW would bother to sell them.

I've pondered what to do if we ever have to upsize from the VW camper we've got now, and honestly the Promaster is the likeliest candidate because I can run the bed side-to-side and be able to lay down fairly comfortably, which at 6'1 I couldn't do with a Sprinter or Transit. I'd love to stick with the VW brand but they make it rather impossible by simply not offering anything that fits our potential needs.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW T6.1 California & Mercedes Weekender vs. Vanagon Campers Reply with quote

A friend of mine, who is 6'1', just bought a transit high roof awd model. He chose the transit over the sprinter or promaster because he said he can't stand up right in the other models. His bed is going to be 75" long, transverse in the van, pretty tight if you're 6'1" but doable. There are side flares you can add to increase that to 80".

https://www.campervan-hq.com/products/ford-transit-148wb-campervan-body-flares
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: