Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nohabusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

I've been following Chad and his YouTube channel for some time, and watched his subscribers grow. This is a really long video (but not as long as it took him to clear a trail with his ax and saw in a foot of snow), but its one of his best so far.

Link

1990 Doka Syncro (WBX 2.1)
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

Love the guys videos. Been a subscriber as well and watch them when they pop up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

Just don't take a shot every time he says "vanlife" if you want to watch the entire video!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

There's a lot of potential for that dude to make a combination Blair Witch Project and Game of Thrones: North of the Wall version of this episode.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

WestyWanter wrote:
Just don't take a shot every time he says "vanlife" if you want to watch the entire video!

Ha!
Some people call him Maurice...
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

Thats the 5th time this month Ive seen one of those round fire pots. Those are the new craze.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

i watched this over the weekend getting psyched for my 91 Westy. the first tree was no biggie and "fun" but the next tree fall was rough. watching him chop away while his Hi-Lift jack remained secured to his front bumper left me shaking my head.

he could have used the Hi-Lift as a come along and saved himself a few hours of work. work smarter not harder. of course i wasn't there and only saw part of the layout of the fall, but i think it would have helped him bust thru it much faster.

Chad is a great motivator and yes, he says "vanlife" a bit too much, but his enthusiasm and love of his Vanagon, as well as the high production value, are what make his videos great.

not a Hi-Lift but the same principle at work:

Link

adding a block and tackle would increase the mechanical advantage and reduce the human effort required. if i were heading up a forest service road in the winter, carrying a block and tackle in addition to the saw and ax is a smart idea.

Link

BiWerks Design, LLC
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

...super off topic question....but the overhead drone shots while driving.... how is that done? Does the drone have a setting to travel at a certain speed looking down...

I've watched his vids before too and like them, I am always impressed with the outside the van footage and wonder how he captures it (goes up ahead and records as he comes back upon it...etc). Someone enlighten me to the camera wizardry (please)
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

There is a follow me setting on the drone. Or you can have the passenger just fly it and follow you.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:
Someone enlighten me to the camera wizardry (please)

if you are alone and have a few cameras, you can walk ahead and place them for the sequence shots. if you have one camera it gets time consuming but the editing is easier.

as for the drone. yes, good drones have a follow feature and can have auto pan/zoom ranges. i want to get a drone to realize a few video sequences for filming trains that previously required a helicopter (way beyond my budget). i was once a Radio/Television/Film major. i'd rather spend my time wrenching on the Vanagon, not editing shaky video.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

Chad does a wonderful job capturing video and stitching it all together for one of his productions. I know how much time is invested in these.

For those of us that enjoy getting out with our vans, we can relate to much of what he does.

Keep on Camping Chad!

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

Last summer when I was briefly incapacitated my wife wanted to clear some brush etc around our house. I didn't want her using my 16" Stihl beast so we got her a 40v 12" bar electric chain saw. I'm really impressed. A good 30min+ run time on 1 battery and it handles everything. It would have made short work out of the trees he cleared on that video. If I were boondocking it as he was, I'd be carrying the little electric and a spare battery. There's also an 80v version. I'm grudgingly a fan even though it doesn't have the joyous sound of a gasser.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Thats the 5th time this month Ive seen one of those round fire pots. Those are the new craze.

It's a great fire pit, I have one on my terrace. Solo Stove. Has a lot of ventilation at the base for air to come in and then it's dual walled so some of the air that comes in the bottom goes through the wall and comes out those holes visible inside at the top. Seems to help with a really nice hot burning smoke-free fire once you get it going. Seems to always burn the wood completely down.

The video is great but I'd be so annoyed constantly having to back up to retrieve my camera. Laughing
cek347
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

His last video he explains how he films everything. Including the drone and all the walking back and forth.

Link

'17 Prius Prime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

A tow chain is a pretty handy tool in the woods to move trees too. My experience cutting them out is there often is another and another coming up. I’ll take a hike to make sure it’s worth it.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
40v 12" bar electric chain saw. I'm really impressed.

That's good to know. I've been considering one for trail maintenance and perhaps some off-season tidying up at my local ski hill. Wink
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
I'd be carrying the little electric and a spare battery. There's also an 80v version. I'm grudgingly a fan even though it doesn't have the joyous sound of a gasser.
I was thinking electric chainsaw as soon as I saw that too. However, he enjoyed the work-out and got good exercise - good for him. I was splitting wood by hand and often use the bow saw, even though a power saw would be quicker.

Note, I always opt for the electric version when possible - I don't relish the noise at all.
I've got 2 gas chain saws and a plug-in Makita one. A gas-powered weed wacker and a cordless one. I've taken to using an inherited electric lawnmower, even though with my property, the cord maintenance is a bit of a chore.

Back to the videos - even though I am sick of the vanlife term and most related videos by this time, his production and content was highly, highly enjoyable. I'll be back for more. Thanks to the OP for posting such.

(wish they did not salt out here, so I could venture out with chains in the winter time, like he does. )
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

I believe he's an active but quiet member of the Samba as well. Wish he'd pop in and say hi one of these days.

I like how his van sits with the wheels and tires and it's making me more and more want to go with the same setup for my 2WD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

Westy no more...he's "upgraded" to a Sprinter Sad

Link

Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Epic Vanlife Video in 2WD Westy Reply with quote

Sigh.... I just watched that and will probably not watch many more of his videos. The vanlife stuff is fine, but i mostly like watching the vanagon content. Chad was a good one. Now he's a sprinter guy along with everyone else.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: