Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

Yeah..... with Mercedes bringing out a dealer supported camper Vans selling for that high a number are probably going to remain unsold in the future.
Unless you crave the "cool factor" of old VW Vans.

I'm no pricing expert but IMHO you'd be doing really good to get mid 20's for it.

As suggested, keep it, raise your kids with it as part of their lives, you'll be mikes ahead for doing so.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
As suggested, keep it, raise your kids with it as part of their lives, you'll be mikes ahead for doing so.

Dave

Speaking of market value, what's a mike going for these days?

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Yeah..... with Mercedes bringing out a dealer supported camper Vans selling for that high a number are probably going to remain unsold in the future.
Unless you crave the "cool factor" of old VW Vans.

I'm no pricing expert but IMHO you'd be doing really good to get mid 20's for it.

Dave

Agreed! Raise your little one around this van. Our daughter is 8 months and i'm looking forward to the summer with the hope of going on camping trips with her. I can't think of a better combination of things. Family, outdoors, vans. I mean, what are you going to replace this thing with? Once it's gone, you're never going to get back there again to a van you know and worked on and sorted. Maybe prices tank and you could get one and do the work again, but do you want to? If it's in decent shape and you enjoy it, keep it. They are worth a decent price, but yeah, maybe 25k, but I'd suspect under 20K and yes that's a decent amount for the college fund, but it's also not so much that the trade off of getting rid of the classic with all the potential memories seems worth it to me. You live in an area where something like this will help get the kid outside too. This is not a 911 where it's not really kid related. This is a van in the end and those are made for kids!

I wouldn't expect to use it a lot in the first year, but I'll tell you, every time I use mine, it just makes me happy and reminds me that i'm more than diapers, screaming, fighting with my wife, etc. (the hard work of the first year) and it's a great distraction. Love my daughter, but it's a lot of work and the van helps.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:
A couple of folks have pointed to BringATrailer....I would use BAT to try and gauge a reasonable price. Read the comments on past auctions to try and understand what "that" market was looking at considering and thinking to pay....I think it (BAT) is currently our best resource for true market value of these vans.

Here's a scatter chart of bids on Vanagons. Go to the page below, tap the dot on the chart to see what kind of van sold for how much. It looks like the Sinkas and Dokas get the best prices now.
https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/vanagon/

$53K Doka...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volkswagen-t3-doka-transporter/

$23K Syncro...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volkswagen-vanagon-syncro-3/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

$23K Syncro...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volkswagen-vanagon-syncro-3/
]

That seller has sold a ton of vehicles (20 in December alone!) no idea if he running the auction for others, or buying, taking delivery (or holding somewhere) and then re-selling. I wonder if he lost money on this one?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

Congrats on the upcoming kid!
Well, if you need to sell it, sell it. Looks like you have your priorities right. It will be sad and you will question the decision for years so be sure to look at other options.
If you keep it, get the hammock for over the front seats. My 7 year old loves it there.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

It's very smart of the OP to post his Syncro for 60K. It's the best way to get attention. Wink

I have a Syncro Westy and here is what sold me on it:

- It's a Westfalia Syncro
- A professional, well-sorted engine conversion, clean ABA block.
- All new seals, bushings, shocks Schwenk springs, SA grille, SA 15'' wheels, SA steering wheel, Old Man Emu shocks, cruise control.
- Rust-free body and undercarriage of an ex-Arizona vehicle.
- All new window seals, rubber.
- Stainless steel cooling hoses, new radiator.
- Working, cold A/C.
- Propex heater.
- Decoupler
- Rear locker
- All receipts for all parts/work performed EVER.
- Shiny OG paint

In order to sell a Syncro for top dollar one must have addressed all the aging points of the vehicle. This is very expensive and Syncro buyers understand this. It's just not enough to post 'vanlife' and collect the $$$.

For the OP, list the details, post pictures of details, show the work.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

The more you save for college the more they take. Dump your money in your 401ks, if your company doesn’t match 100% to the Federal Max like mine, get a new job which does, even if it pays less.

No one has made money on cars in this forum. I mean money, not breadcrumbs
AZ_SPOKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Perfect VW Syncro - Gauging Market Interest Reply with quote

Thanks Everyone! This is all great feedback.

I spend most of my time overseas, hence the desire to give my bus a good home. But if things change in the near time, I will intend to keep it, and hope to have adventure with any of you.

And to those of you who knew my father, i guarantee you he is smiling down from above, probably driving a syncro in epic heavenly scapes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: