Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

I am more than half way with my conversion and have a couple things that my research has not cleared up so thought I would post them here.

1. When stripping my harness the red wire on my select monitor plug was cut and I need to figure out where that goes

2. The wire that goes from the solenoid on the starter goes to the computer. I cant figure out where to hook up the key when I click start at the dash. Do I just T that in to the other wire?

3. Three wires on the computer (speed sensor), (neutral switch), (parking switch AT). Ive read different things from different posters. Do I leave these unhooked or ground? Its an auto trans wire harness and cpu going in a manual vehicle

4. Can I eliminate the charcoal canister? I am smog exempt and would like to simplify or leave off anything I can.

5. On the brown double diode my white with red wire was also cut. I read somewhere that only the green and yellow are used. is this correct?

6. My plastic timing covers are broken ive read of sandrails with subarus not even running them. What do you think of this?

Thank you to everyone that takes the time to share their knowledge.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

4. Just plumb that line to your Vanagon charcoal canister.

6. I would repair or replace and install your timing belt covers. The bottom area is exposed to road debris and exhaust heat and could shorten the life of your timing belt, abruptly or over time. On my EJ22 I had a huge hole in the bottom of one of mine and installed it anyway; years later I removed it and couldn't believe the amount of crud inside and all over the pulleys.

Sorry i can't help with the electrical questions. I outsourced that part.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

I think the reason the sandrail guys leave them off is so sand and dirt wont collect in there. I defiantly agree with you about the heat sheild.
Thank you for the reply
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

I'm not much help with the electrical, I didn't do that part.

4. I too would suggest you connect your old VW charcoal canister. Kennedy suggests this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is not the way I did mine. I put a short section of hose on the two vacuum supply tubes on the left side of the engine to jumper them. Then I connected the "not used" vacuum tube on the right side of the engine directly to the top of the VW carbon canister. I eliminated the mechanical VW "canister valve" and rely on the Subaru PCV valve to control the connection to the canister. My VW canister also does not vent back to the air intake as shown in the picture. It has always just vented with a piece of hose down into the frame rail.
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
I'm not much help with the electrical, I didn't do that part.

4. I too would suggest you connect your old VW charcoal canister. Kennedy suggests this:

It is not the way I did mine. I put a short section of hose on the two vacuum supply tubes on the left side of the engine to jumper them. Then I connected the "not used" vacuum tube on the right side of the engine directly to the top of the VW carbon canister. I eliminated the mechanical VW "canister valve" and rely on the Subaru PCV valve to control the connection to the canister. My VW canister also does not vent back to the air intake as shown in the picture. It has always just vented with a piece of hose down into the frame rail.

Amazing! A mystery solved on my early ej22 conversion. Mine was done exactly like yours, with the jumper and vent to atmosphere. Glad to know that it’s correct!
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

there is also the "Chester KV" fuel line and evap line mod. This is what I did. It works great. I would read his whole thread. I think most of the pictures aren't hosted anymore, but it still provides great info.

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

3. Hook up a speed sensor, eliminates some stalling issues. Vancafe and small car both sell decent vss. You need to repin the neutral switch and ground it, not sure what pin on your year ecu, someone else can possibly help there. Not sure about the parking at switch. However the van will run with the above not hooked up to anything, you will at some point run into idle and stalking issues. It may be intermittent or constant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

Question on the charcoal canister: Does it purge at a specific throttle position or vac signal?

I'm wondering what that thing is that I circled in red.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

I found my stalling issues have been eliminated by slightly manipulating the IAC valve. The VSS did nothing for me on any of my conversions until I added the slight adjustment of the IAC valve. My van hasnt stalled at a stop sign in two years and I drive it 200 miles weekly. Every other van I had (3 conversions) has had stalling issues.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Dose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for posting, I have the engine running and was able to do a short test drive shakedown run and very pleased with the power and how it ran. Even though I have only idled in the driveway for 20 or so minutes and a short 5 mile drive I wanted to come back to this thread to answer my own questions, hopefully helps others.

1. When stripping my harness the red wire on my select monitor plug was cut and I need to figure out where that goes
***not needed***

2. The wire that goes from the solenoid on the starter goes to the computer. I cant figure out where to hook up the key when I click start at the dash. Do I just T that in to the other wire?
***Yes. T somewhere on that wire or run a separate wire to the same place on starter***

3. Three wires on the computer (speed sensor), (neutral switch), (parking switch AT). Ive read different things from different posters. Do I leave these unhooked or ground? Its an auto trans wire harness and cpu going in a manual vehicle
*** mine ran fine with these all unhooked. I tried grounding the neutral and parking wire and saw no difference.***

4. Can I eliminate the charcoal canister? I am smog exempt and would like to simplify or leave off anything I can.
***Yes. I have a vented fuel tank so i just capped the hard lines at motor that went to the canister***

5. On the brown double diode my white with red wire was also cut. I read somewhere that only the green and yellow are used. is this correct?
***Yes. others are not needed***

6. My plastic timing covers are broken ive read of sandrails with subarus not even running them. What do you think of this?
***I left mine on even though they are broken for now***
Dose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

New question, I am running my radiator fan on a switch for now because I could not figure out how to have the computer automatically turn it on. My cpu does not seem to have a fan wire on the diagram or cpu itself.
Am I missing something?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

Dose wrote:
New question, I am running my radiator fan on a switch for now because I could not figure out how to have the computer automatically turn it on. My cpu does not seem to have a fan wire on the diagram or cpu itself.
Am I missing something?

Surely the radiator fan is controlled solely by its switch and AC controls if present?
Dose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Dose wrote:
Am I missing something?

Surely the radiator fan is controlled solely by its switch and AC controls if present?

FXR, I dont understand what your saying, did you build your harness or buy it?

Its possible I cut something out that I needed when building mine but I belive the cpu gets engine temp from the sensor under the intake and then signals a fan relay when it sees a certain temp. Im trying to figure out what wire triggers the fan relay.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

Dose wrote:
fxr wrote:
Dose wrote:
Am I missing something?

FXR, I dont understand what your saying, did you build your harness or buy it?

All installed by Buslab but...
Quote:

Its possible I cut something out that I needed when building mine but I belive the cpu gets engine temp from the sensor under the intake and then signals a fan relay when it sees a certain temp. Im trying to figure out what wire triggers the fan relay.
...this may well be the case in the original Subaru, but (at least in my conversion) there's nothing of the sort in the van. The radiator fan wiring and AC controls have not been touched or added to.
Dose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

I just rechecked the subaru ecu pinout it looks like #17 on the F47 big plug is the wire I need. When I'm home I will check my cpu again
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

The VW rad fan is controlled by the thermal switch in the rad. ECU control is not needed. The rad fan wires to the ECU are usually left disconnected. I recall maybe one guy who hooked it up to the ECU.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
The VW rad fan is controlled by the thermal switch in the rad. ECU control is not needed. The rad fan wires to the ECU are usually left disconnected. I recall maybe one guy who hooked it up to the ECU.

What Wes said here. The VW cooling system works very well and should be left alone. Smile
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 1994 2.2 conversion questions Reply with quote

I also have a 94 2.2 swapped in a westy. I personally do not have a vss installed and have those pins open, i do not have stalling issues but i know others do.

That 12v wire for telling the ecu that the engine is cranking is important. Mine would not start without that wire connected, i believe it retards timing.

I would go find some timing covers that arent broken, with the engine behind the wheels all kind of crap gets kicked up there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: