Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Tin
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Engine Tin Reply with quote

Hey I have a 1973 Bus that I have put a 1600cc engine in. I am having a bit of touble sealing the engine with tin though. I found the rear apron off a 1970 Bus in a junkyard and modified it to fit around the front of the engine. This made an excellent seal. my problem is around the back of the engine and around the sides. As a quick fix I used large flaps of inner tubing to seal these areas but I would feel more comfortable with something more ridgid. Does anyone manufacture tin conversion kits for this type of conversion? Someone suggested to me that late model South American and Mexican bus' have the same engine compartment as a 1700, 1800, or 2000cc bus have specially designed tin so they can still be fitted with 1600cc engines. Is there any way to order this tin? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Chris
1973 Transporter
1964 standard
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Engine Tin Reply with quote

Innovations Fiberglass co in Fla makes a piece for that conversion...
I think their web address is www.innovations.com ????
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sean G.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Engine Tin Reply with quote

Innovations in Fiberglass is www.vwinnovations.com The place you want is actually Creative Car Craft in soutern Florida. They have the trick one piece fiberglass cover to convert your 1600 to fit the 72-79 bus. Try this www.creativecarcraft/notforbug.htm
I dont know how well it will work since you modified the apron but check it out and see if you can still use it. Good Luck.
Sean
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Engine Tin Reply with quote

Thanks Sean, I have gotten those two companies mixed up in the past...Fiberglass and Fla... go figure??
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Engine Tin Reply with quote

Wow that certainly is a nice piece. Thanks for the info guys. I can't believe what an easy conversion that would be. 165 American plus shipping though? Yikes.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Engine Tin Reply with quote

Beats burning up motors if you don't get the eng. compt sealed up well enough...
Or what is your time worth? how many hours would it take to modify or fab something up?? Or chase down the S.A. or Mexican tin??? Might be worth it in the long run... But I still think putting a 1600 in is a "get me by measure" anyway...
Good luck with it though....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: