Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark plug confusion
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

I went to swap the plugs with what the form recommends B5HS NGKs. I had a hell of a time pulling the old plug and finally tried some deep sockets and pulled out a DP8EA. This is a very different plug much thinner and longer reach. Has someone done something to my head? What should I put back?
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

Sounds like the heads were changed at some point. Stock VW heads had 1/2" reach like the plugs you were installing. I'm pretty sure if you use the long reach plugs in a stoke VW head they will hit the piston tops.

You need to have a plug out and see how long the head threads are. You should be able to see one of the rear plug holes with a mirror and flash light. Or take a stiff wire bend a bit of a 90 degree bend insert and pull up till it stops . Make the wire a certain length when it hooks measure from the rod end till the ruler hits where the plug seats. The difference will give you the reach. If the plugs you removed are narrower across the threads then the B5HS then I would say the heads have been changed. Most all replacement heads have the longer reach.

Maybe post photo's of the old compared to the new.
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sounds like they are longer reach (and 18mm) I guess I'll go back with what's in here maybe drop them down to 6's instead of 8s though.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

Not uncommon to have heads with long reach plugs. The heads are sold with long reach plug holes. Some cases a performance head.
Just source out the replacement spark plugs.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

Wait....wait....wait.

Do not make the assumption that you have long reach plug holes.....until you PROVE IT.

From the factory they came with short reach plugs.....and its even more common that somone....incorrectly..... INSTALLED long reach plugs on heads with short reach holes.

You noted that the plugs were hard to remove....right? This IS the common problem when someone has installed long reach plugs in short,reach holes.....because carbon builds up in the exposed threads making them difficult....and eventually....impossible to remove without damaging the threads in the head.

Verify what you have before assuming somone installed aftermarket heads with long reach plug bores. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wait....wait....wait.

Do not make the assumption that you have long reach plug holes.....until you PROVE IT.

From the factory they came with short reach plugs.....and its even more common that somone....incorrectly..... INSTALLED long reach plugs on heads with short reach holes.

You noted that the plugs were hard to remove....right? This IS the common problem when someone has installed long reach plugs in short,reach holes.....because carbon builds up in the exposed threads making them difficult....and eventually....impossible to remove without damaging the threads in the head.

Verify what you have before assuming somone installed aftermarket heads with long reach plug bores. Ray

ehh, maybe a long time ago but more and more replacement heads have these 12mm "motorcycle" plugs. You will see, the thread size is very different, hot dog in a hallway comes to mind...

anyhow, I recommend NGK plugs and the 9 is fine. NGK are backwards, 6 is hotter than 9

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Wait....wait....wait.

I've never seen short reach plugs with the smaller dia thread in any vw air cooled or have i read about them being used and many all new VW replacement heads have gone to the long each . I haven't paid much attention to replacement heads . I do know I used a thread chaser to remove any carbon in my stock short reach heads and the chaser is shorter than a long each plug if I put a long reach in it would hit the piston.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

If the picture above shows that the plug on the right was in the engine and the one on the left was going to go in the engine.
Not sure if this is correct will have to see what JoMoSqBk says.
Looks like a long reach plug heads.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
JoMoSqBk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

The long reach I took out is a much smaller diameter and the thicker b5hs had no hope of going in. I had the compressions tested just a few months ago and it was 110 in all cylinders with these smaller plugs they just didn't tell me it was an odd plug. I replaced with almost the same plug I pulled they did not have the DP but looking at the NGK site that is a premium platinum and should make much difference.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

JoMoSqBk wrote:
The long reach I took out is a much smaller diameter and the thicker b5hs had no hope of going in. I had the compressions tested just a few months ago and it was 110 in all cylinders with these smaller plugs they just didn't tell me it was an odd plug. I replaced with almost the same plug I pulled they did not have the DP but looking at the NGK site that is a premium platinum and should make much difference.

they will be fine. I prefer regular copper plugs. The platinum do not run better in an old VW, they just go longer without needing to be changed
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

The heads most likely require a 12mm plug with a 3/4" reach. Stock VW heads use a 14mm plug with a 1/2" reach. Mexican heads use a 14mm with a 3/4" reach.

The stock hear range for NGK is "5". A "9" is way too cold. If you have higher compression you can use a colder plug. I have 9.5:1 and use a "6" heat range.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

As Eric noted.....the heads may not be original. I was speaking of original heads. Either way my point still stands. Dont screw anything in....until you VERIFY what you have.

That being said.....if the long reach plug you took out....has smaller diameter threads as well....it could also be that someone has installed a thread insert.

As I said.....find out what is in your heads. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tandemtwins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

Here's a question related to this topic.

I don't know which heads I've got... although I suspect the heads which take long reach plugs. (Pretty sure it's a Mexican engine; the valve adjustment nuts are 15mm as opposed to 13mm.)

Until I'm able to verify the length of the plug hole, is it okay to run short reach plugs in a long reach hole? Or will this cause problems?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

Tandem: Does your engine code start with ACD, if so it is a Mexican engine and probably uses the long reach plugs.

NGK BP5ES-A are the long reach plugs that would have been originally installed in the engine (if it's an ACD engine).

The -A suffix means they are packaged in a VW branded box, BP5ES will work.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug confusion Reply with quote

tandemtwins wrote:
Here's a question related to this topic.

I don't know which heads I've got... although I suspect the heads which take long reach plugs. (Pretty sure it's a Mexican engine; the valve adjustment nuts are 15mm as opposed to 13mm.)

Until I'm able to verify the length of the plug hole, is it okay to run short reach plugs in a long reach hole? Or will this cause problems?

no

it's not even possible, the diameter is different
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: